PDA

View Full Version : Intake relocator

twistdtyphoon
07-25-2010, 08:40 AM
I need to do something about my sons air filter getting soaked every race. The track we run at always has standing water and my son can't make it a whole day with out it getting water logged and dieing. We ran the 2 liter bottle trick last race and seemed to help but I would like a better fix any ideas or products that you like or tried please feel free to share with me. Oh yea I have a 24mm pwk on one and a PE 20mm on the other. Thanks Lewis

nordic quad
07-25-2010, 09:53 AM
I like these best.
You can use the Hetrick relocator kit.

http://www.hetrickracing.com/youthquadproducts_intake_2stroke.htm

Or if you have done away with the battery and oiltank you can use the Apex relocator kit.

http://www.g-forcepowersports.com/airboxkits.html

Stein A

fomospede
07-25-2010, 06:58 PM
we run thru water alot too,we use a outerwears and then run a 4'' dryer flex duct over the filter and cable tied around body of carb and run it up underneath the headlight it's cheap and works well, my .02

nordic quad
07-26-2010, 07:33 AM
We have also done the dryer hose only we used a 5"hose and no Outwear just a well oiled dubble layer Uni filter,by doing it this way we did not have to rejet the carb,but in most cases when you relocate the airfilter you will need to rejet.

Stein A

twistdtyphoon
07-26-2010, 10:57 AM
I like the idea of the dry vent tube but how do you adjust the carb with the tube on? That was a big problem with the 2 liter bottle.

fomospede
07-26-2010, 11:16 AM
clip the one zip tie and slide hose off filter and adjust as needed ,the hose doesnt change the jetting needs. i prefer this method as everything can remain unmodified! and we only use the estart the kicker is laying in the toolbox:D

djdfairchild
07-26-2010, 12:08 PM
thanks guys i've been having the same problem with my 50 don't seem to have it with the 70. i wanted to get the hetrick relocator but according to the info it only works on 28mm carbs. i was looking mine over last week to see if there was anything i could do, now i will try the dryer vent. the way i see it is if you keep the air filter clamped directly to the carb, you shouldn't have to rejet. i would only use it when it is wet.

rummel
07-26-2010, 12:56 PM
i have the intake relocator set up for a 24mm that ill sell for 75 shipped. nothing wrong just running mx so i dont use it.

bulldogfallon
07-26-2010, 05:58 PM
We have found a new air filter for the minis that has a cage inside for support and accepts a bolt at the end to secure a plastic end cap

Now if you take a plastic container and make a small hole in the end you can secure it to the air filter.

This still gives you a couple of inches of outer diamtere around the filter to pull air

The container covers all of the filter and part of the intake neck..

I am considering a custom outerwear shaped like a (donut or circle) that will allow the neck to go through and also be also be able to fit the outside edge of the container ( to help reduce splash issues or you can use the blue horse hair type air filter material which flows great but seems to reduce splash impacts greatly.

Travis Wotring uses a similar set up and his quads are wicked fast so I don't expect any performance issues.

If we can make sure it works as expected then we can look at ways to make it prettier...right now function is the most important feature

twistdtyphoon
07-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Do they hold up better then the uni's I ripped another one this weekend.

bulldogfallon
07-26-2010, 08:08 PM
I expect that it would...Uni boot quality is very poor, which is why we switch to the Twin Air Filters...

The boot on the TA's are about 100 times better than a Uni...

I'll try to get this set up tested in the next week and post results

Nothing fancy really.....just a simple ...and hopefully functional design

djdfairchild
07-26-2010, 08:25 PM
i ordered a twin from you today, is this the filter with the cylinder inside? and i wanted to thank you guys for the help today turning the air cooled to liquid in such a hurry.

bulldogfallon
07-26-2010, 08:56 PM
No....but the Twin Air is what we use now

I still need to test the air flow and quality of filtration before giving it a thumds up