PDA

View Full Version : bolting the statrer in a ranger

woodsracer144
07-25-2010, 08:33 AM
hey, i have a 85 2.8 thats in my ranger, I have and to rebuild the starter and now its time for me to put it back in, however the top bolt is stripped out and the bolt gets pulled out, then when you try to start it again it kicks back and out so it just grinds. how could i fix this?

CJM
07-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Retap the threads for the bolt.

250x_kyle
07-25-2010, 09:15 AM
drill tap and heli coil it

woodsracer144
07-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Its a cluster **** to get the bolt in by its self! i dont really know how to get that other stuff in there to make it work...

do they make a self threading bolt like they do screws? I would just drill this hole bigger...

CJM
07-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Nope, they dont make self tapping bolts that would work.

Do this:

Drill it out and tap it for the next larger size, might be a good idea to do metric cause it might only need to be drilled out ever so slightly.

If you need to you could push the engine up with a floorjack and a 4x4 to cushion it slightly, be carefull you dont push to hard.

best bet is to use an angle drill of some kind if you cant fit a regular drill in there and to use a ratcheting tap.

You can buy the tap, tap holder, drill bit and bolt from any lowes or home depot.

JR3
07-25-2010, 03:58 PM
had to mess with the starter on my ranger once and the whole time i was saying what a screwed up place to put it like its impossible to get to god damn ford :mad: