PDA

View Full Version : lt question

hartwill
07-23-2010, 03:51 PM
with all these long travel setups, are they really "long travel" or what because all the shocks I see for "long travel" just seem like they have an extra 3 or so inches of unused space at the top because the shaft under the spring looks to be the same length as st. I'm sure I just made an idiot out of my self but I have to know.

deathman53
07-23-2010, 04:08 PM
they are really longer body, not long travel. The a-arm shock pivot is moved to use a longer shock, the longer shock has a longer body. Hence, the longer body will hold more oil and more nitrogen. You only can have so much travel before the frame hits the ground anyway. You may have a longer travel w/ LT a-arms and shocks when extended completely. I would like to see someone w/ same brand a-arms and same length on how much lower the a-arm will hang when raised up in the air and then w/ shock fully compressed or frame hitting ground. I'd bet that the amount that the shock rod does move is with-in a inch or 2. Where LT really comes in is with tuning and shock fading. You can valve it more general, more versatile and it doesn't heat up/start fading anywhere near as soon as ST. The big price difference is just marketing. You can tune a ST setup to be just as good as LT, but it will fade quicker and it will be setup more specific to how you set it up. Most LT's, for most people out there, you can set them up for a variably of condition and they will perform good-very good in almost everything.