PDA

View Full Version : Clutching Question

TeamNeilson
07-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Hello again.

With my son's eton 70, when you do a steady pull acceleration to full throttle, the clutch seems to (and this is my analysis based on feel) gear up really quick, bog the motor a smidge, gear back down slightly and pull hard to full (albeit limited) throttle.

It 'almost' feels like the front variator pulls the belt down deep into the rear clutch, then the torque spring overcomes the rollers and then settles down to pull to full throttle. This happens slightly with me on it, but with my little guy (40lbs) its very accentuated and causes the bike to not be able to pull up hills unless he's full throttle to begin with.

Should I alter the weights? (4.5g) or alter the spring (1500RPM from hetrick) or both?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.. clutching always has me sweating... or is that swearing haha.

Thanks in advance

hotquads1
07-26-2010, 07:24 AM
sounds like rollers are a bit heavy for the spring , if spring is new use lighter rollers (4.25) , if spring is well used replace it first and re-examine. Also belt lengths can affect shifting.

TeamNeilson
07-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Thank you so much Marc

a little addendum.. the spring is a 1500 RPM ZTR that I got from you. It probably does have some mileage on it but still compresses fine.. May be heat related as it does seem to be way more pronounced when the bike is well hot and you know how little ones are on the gas off the gas....

Should I try lightening the rollers to 4.25 or 4.0 first or do you think that maybe the heat is causing the spring to upshift too quickly because the spring is bad?

What about changing to a yellow spring (1200rpm stall) as I have a spare in the trailer, but no 1500 :( .. Would I then need to go really light on the rollers to accommodate?

Why does clutching have to be so hard haha.

Thanks again Marc, as always I REALLY appreciate the feedback.

TeamNeilson
07-26-2010, 08:09 PM
*sigh.. i just can't win.

I appear to have sheared the threads out of the bolt that holds the rear clutch on.. I'm giving up for the evening :(

hotquads1
07-27-2010, 08:13 AM
you will need a new pencil gear to correct issue . no, ddo not drop back to a 1200 t-spring , just try lighter rollers , as needed.