PDA

View Full Version : white smoke on decel only

mcwilly
07-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Yes, I searched and read many threads on this already. None seem to be identical to my problem though.
First off, (sadly) my quad has sat for weeks/months with little to no run time. 2 weeks ago, I cleaned and oiled the air filter (K&N). It's in need of an oil change simply because I cant recall how much time I have in it since the last change.....I'm finicky and probably change it too often when I would ride it on a regular basis...I checked the level and the condition of the oil and they're both fine but for peace of mind, I'm going to change it as well as the spark plug anyway.
Last night a friend of mine rode my quad and I was following on my son's quad. I noticed whenever he would let off the gas and coast, a puff of white smoke would come out the tailpipe. It wouldnt smoke while he was on the gas, only after he let off and occassionaly a puff of smoke would come out when he pulled in the clutch to change gears on heavy acceleration. Aside from filter, re-jet, full exhuast and Sparks timing key, the motor is bone stock ('07 model) It's been 2 years since I jetted it, so I cant remember what jets I'm running in it currently...
I'm hoping it's just moisture burning off since it's sat for so long and nothing major. Any idea's?

CJM
07-23-2010, 03:02 PM
I just went thru this, you need rings more than likely. It is also possibly to lean, as thats what lead to my rings failing.

Ride it around a bit more and watch for more smoke, it gets worse than rings definitely.

ridein'red7
07-23-2010, 07:27 PM
id say valve seals

CJM
07-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by ridein'red7
id say valve seals

Another good opinion here, replacing rings you might as well do both tho if you do go for it.

Jesse400ex
07-23-2010, 08:20 PM
I’m having a similar problem with mine, running lean can cause you to have white smoke?

CJM
07-23-2010, 09:29 PM
running lean will damage the cylinder, possibly piston b/c it will overheat.

sc400ex_rider
07-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Jesse400ex
I’m having a similar problem with mine, running lean can cause you to have white smoke?

Yes adding a filter and/or pipe lets in more air if you dont add more fuel you run lean (hotter) this will cook your valve seals................

mcwilly
08-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Must've just been moisture from it sitting for a few weeks. Hasnt done it since. I changed the oil and plug anyway over the weekend. Thanks for the replies