PDA

View Full Version : 2$ Dollar Bills and Silver Dollars?

Dale512
07-22-2010, 10:17 AM
I have a bunch of $2 bills and silver dollar coins. I don't think they are worth any more than there face value and I don't want to hang on to them, so can I take them to the bank and trade them in for a more standard currency? I don't want to spend them as is, it just seems weird.

wilkin250r
07-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Yeah, you can just take them to a bank.

You might get slightly more if take an hour or so and do a little research and find somebody in your area specializing in rare and collector coins and currency. You'll never get LESS than face value for them.

Dale512
07-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Ok Thanks

ROTTY261
07-22-2010, 11:57 AM
True Silver dollars are worth more than face value if they are made from silver. If they are just dollar coins not made of silver and not old, they are only worth face value.

slightlybent47
07-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Take them to a pawn shop, they should give you more than face value if there silver.
There still going to rip you off but they will probably give you more than anyone else except for a collector.

Dale512
07-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Well I took them into the local coin dealer about an hour ago; I had $63 dollars worth at face value and ended up getting $115 for all 63 of them; had a few silver ones that I got about $5 for and one silver one that was in great condition that I got $10 for so not too bad. Oh yeah turned in the $2 dollar bills for standard bills too. Couldn't bring myself to spend the bills, just felt weird had $60 dollars worth of those. So I came up with $175 extra dollars in my pocket that I wouldn't have spent if I didn't take them to the coin dealer.

<DRS>GPF
07-22-2010, 04:45 PM
i just cant bear to part with my "funny" money..

i have a good sized cache of collector cash.. uncirculated bills and coins, silver certificates, silver coins, steel pennies, wartime bills etc... i even have a couple $20 gold eagles from the early 1900's.

my brother has some railroad silver coins that are very rare..

most we recieved during our teen years, in exchange for mowing lawns etc. for elderly folks, most of whom could not afford to pay the typical asking price for the jobs we were doing.. so they gave us rare coins instead.

i expect ill hand them off to my kids when my time comes, as i have zero interest in parting with any of it..

ok.. heres a not so funny story with a not so happy ending..

i lecture my wife about leaving the car windows down and unlocked, because of our proximity to the local municipal park.
well, the inevidable happened and her purse was stolen..

we called the cops, but as usual they wont help unless you have the criminal in custody before they get there..
so.. i pulled a few strings from my semi-underworld aquaintences and found out who the most likely culprit was.(a 15yr old neighbor boy, who lived with his grandpa.)

up until then, i had been golden to this kid.. letting him borrow bicycles, etc.. treating him like one of my sons friends and giving him a clean, safe place to go when he needed it.

i then informed one "little birdy" that id set him and his friends up if everything wasnt returned ASAP. to which i knew he'd take very seriously..(i have a history of getting even and then some)

lo and behold, not more than a week later, the purse magically re-appeared at the corner of my yard, only missing a $1 silver certificate and a $2 dollar bill.
i let him know that he was "off the hook", but i would never trust him again.

in a twist of fate, my aunt who works at the local mc d's spotted the bills, not realizing they were stolen booty.
some short time later, i was talking to my cousin about my success, when he says "hey.. i know where the money is and we've got video showing who brought them in.." (he also works at mc d's)

i laughed and said it was over and that i didnt want to press it to a legal matter.. i mean really, i figured the kid was scared straight and outright ashamed by ruining a safe haven from bad influences.

anyway, to wrap up the story.. they(the group of miscreants he ran with) had also stolen some car stereo's and he was in serious trouble..
the cops heard of the money being spent via one of kids and got the video. which by itself wasnt enough, but could be used as evidence of association to the ones who were caught with the stereos..

its been a year and he's still doing time in juvenile detention.. him being of the older ones in the group, took the brunt of the judges wrath.
i feel bad for him though.. like they say, "its hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys" .

fastredrider44
07-22-2010, 05:06 PM
I am much the same way. I have a lot of funny money that I can't part with.

As far as the 15 year old story, I am ready to press full legal action anytime someone steals from me. We found the last boy that broke into my house. I got all of my stuff back and we made him pay for all damages. That wasn't good enough so he stole a friend'd system out of his truck. He got it good that time. To teach them a lesson, send the cops after em. There is no excuse for being a thief. :mad:

ZeroLogic
07-22-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm funny like that with my money. Any coins before the 50s I save. :macho

But do some research on them first.;)

tim colston
07-23-2010, 08:51 AM
l like taking two dollar bills to the strip club, most of those broads in there are too drunk to realize it isn't a $20.

buck440
07-23-2010, 03:22 PM
a barbor in town charges $8 a haircut so you give him a 10 he gives you a $2 bill he's been doing that forever. right now there only worth $2 but when your old they might be worth $3 lol.