PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye loud exhausts....

witech
07-21-2010, 06:59 PM
For the last couple of years the 96db limit enforcement has been looming here in wisconsin. Well its here and beware . Out of the last 10 times we went trail riding we have been stopped and checked for sound by the dnr 3 times. Luckily I have been practicing good noise behavior and have not been fined. Some of the others i ride with have not been so lucky. To the tune of nearly $200 per infraction. I dont mind the sound laws and I agree with them which has been why I put so much effort itno developing quiet exhausts that can match or outperform the old tech glass pack systems.
The one thing that is really starting to erk me is these guys who feel the need to hassle all of us even before we unload our sport quads. Its not just because they think our quads will be loud which they are not .They are whining about decal location and prejudging us on our driving habits. Geez . Mind you friggin business and if you have a problem call the feds.
So just beware if you want to ride in WI have your decals up to date ,your owners card with you , a quiet legal exhaust and spark aresotor or have a fund to pay the fines.
Kind of sucks because we jsut got back from St Anthonies and it seems there are no rules whatsoever out west.
Sorry for the rant.

honda400ex2003
07-21-2010, 08:36 PM
It has been posted and patrolled here also. Harrison hills, parrish, hurley. they all have signs posting the 96 dB limit and you must comply. I am glad to see they are starting to enforce it. I didnt buy my q4 for nothing ;) Im ready for the hit on the trails, they can test me all they want to now and ill be passing with flying colors. steve

witech
07-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Yep The hwy B parking lot is where our first encounter was. Didnt even get out of the car and some yahoo said we couldnt ride because one quad was missing a spark arrestor. Then we rode over to Parrish and some grandma (in a remote logging road)was giving us crap about our decals not being the proper height fromt he ground.
Pretty much the same thing happened in at the burma road. Some guy said my Cannondale Moto had an aftermarket exhaust on it and was illegal. I then pointed out they came stock from the factory with an FMF system ( I also installed a quiet core and arrestor) and he huffed and walked away. I dont mind the cops or DNR doing thier job but Joe public needs to mind thier own business.LOL

madskrillz2
07-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Good thing I quit trail riding a long time ago

mxduner
07-21-2010, 10:25 PM
In a way that really sucks, the part of them hasseling us. I used to ride 2 wheels up at iron river. half the trails where legal and half were not. only if you had a road licensed bike with blinkers and such, you were legal outside the us forest land. We just road anyways and law enforcement looked away. I wont be going their anytime soon.

I do agree with the sound issue. fmf q for me on my old bike. just keep joe public from 'flexing his muscles' and leave that for the 'authority/s'

honda400ex2003
07-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by witech
I dont mind the cops or DNR doing thier job but Joe public needs to mind thier own business.LOL

TOTALLY AGREED! WE GET THE HUGGERS UP FOR THE SUMMER VACA lol they leave their brains south of hwy 29. :eek2: then come up here and cause trouble. steve

mxduner
07-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
TOTALLY AGREED! WE GET THE HUGGERS UP FOR THE SUMMER VACA lol they leave their brains south of hwy 29. :eek2: then come up here and cause trouble. steve don't foret the 612ers from my side of the river.

btw is this a statewide program?

<DRS>GPF
07-22-2010, 05:53 AM
so long as the enforcement is equally applied to other motorized vehicles as well, such as streetbikes, cars and trucks.

250rAL
07-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
so long as the enforcement is equally applied to other motorized vehicles as well, such as streetbikes, cars and trucks.

Yeah, right!!

Quinn4
07-22-2010, 08:46 AM
I just love how because we ride sport quads and not lame 4x4 turtles we get singled out for exhaust.
I live by a harley bar and have to listen to LOUD exhaust all summer.
These h0m0s sit and rev their engines to make up for lacking in eh hem other areas. God forbid I put a motorworks slip on exhaust on my DS450!!!

Newt327
07-22-2010, 12:55 PM
This thread is depressing! I may have to move to Wisconsin next year for work and not looking forward to dealing with the laws up there. Right now i live in Kentucky where we have no registration for our quads, we don’t even have to title them, and we can legally carry a concealed weapon (with a license). I'm sure there are areas here that have noise regulations but I’ve never been bothered by anyone while out riding.

I at least hope to find some fun places to ride up there if i end up moving.

witech
07-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
Good thing I quit trail riding a long time ago
Unfortuantly if you are racing an atv in wisconsin you must also comply with the sound 96db sound limit. You do not need a registration decal if you race exclusivly. This is in effect due to most winter races are on public waterways. Im not sure if enforcement has jumped on the atv race scene yet but im sure its coming .

I really dont have any beef with the laws its just the way things are being handled. How about treating everybody fair. While Im being tested on the side of a trail and an open piped harley cruises by on the road next to us get after them too. Although the reputation of most atv riders is demolished when you get the idiots who run from the cops and ride on posted land. So I can see how we are all looked at by most authorities.

buck440
07-23-2010, 03:35 PM
man i couldn't imagine what it would be like having "rules" when riding. my quads and bikes have no titles, i checked the vin before buying... quads had a hmf ballance with no queit core or arrestor. we can ride on the streets. we have endless trails along the river private property but owner doesn't enforce anything. people don't come around checking for db violations ect... i guess it depends where you live.

destey
07-23-2010, 04:05 PM
vote libertarian and the harassment goes away

mrowe
07-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Quads have gotten too loud...as for the trails quieter exhaust has hit the snomobile industry as well....much of the land used for trails is on or next to private properties...these land owners don't want to hear our loud 4 stroke thunder all the time...and we the riders have a select few that don't help the legislation by getting wasted and raging down the trails at 2:30 am coming home from the bars...summer and winter...I'm not trying to be a downer but I do enjoy the trails periodically and quiet pipes are the only way we will keep the trails we have or ever get new ones.....as for the track...I think it could be a louder limit but I think if you make everyone quiet down a bit it wouldn't hurt....I mean really...have you stood behind a "A" main lately? If all the manufacturers have to quiet down equally nobody has an advantage...don't be too hard on me that was the dad in me coming out....

mrowe
07-25-2010, 09:16 AM
oh and by the way...I did vote Libertarian!

honda400ex2003
07-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by mrowe
Quads have gotten too loud...as for the trails quieter exhaust has hit the snomobile industry as well....much of the land used for trails is on or next to private properties...these land owners don't want to hear our loud 4 stroke thunder all the time...and we the riders have a select few that don't help the legislation by getting wasted and raging down the trails at 2:30 am coming home from the bars...summer and winter...I'm not trying to be a downer but I do enjoy the trails periodically and quiet pipes are the only way we will keep the trails we have or ever get new ones.....as for the track...I think it could be a louder limit but I think if you make everyone quiet down a bit it wouldn't hurt....I mean really...have you stood behind a "A" main lately? If all the manufacturers have to quiet down equally nobody has an advantage...don't be too hard on me that was the dad in me coming out....

im no father but i agree 100%. the sleds are just as tough to deal with. the cans some of these guys run are rediculous. steve

muddy400EX
07-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Quinn4
I just love how because we ride sport quads and not lame 4x4 turtles we get singled out for exhaust.
I live by a harley bar and have to listen to LOUD exhaust all summer.
These h0m0s sit and rev their engines to make up for lacking in eh hem other areas. God forbid I put a motorworks slip on exhaust on my DS450!!!

agreed! and were in the woods or on a track, and have to be quiet. but harleys with straight pipes can rip down the road at 2 in the morning? wtf?

Honda#4
07-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Exactly what me and Steve were talking about a couple days ago. Just cuz they have Harley rides and other crap doesn't give them the right to be loud. I don't mind one on occasion but when you get 5, 10 or 50 riding at 12 at night it gets a little bad.