PDA

View Full Version : oil drain plug

y-man
07-21-2010, 06:06 PM
hey guys i think my drain plug on my oil tank is stripped. was wondering if i can rethread it or do i have to buy a new tank. thanks

yellowzo3
07-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Don't worry man, it happens to all of us :p ...You can either buy a new or used tank or run down to your local autoparts store and buy a helicoil kit. I'm not sure what size helicoil you'll need so you'll have to check that out when you get to the store. Hopefully someone that knows what size you need will chime in.

y-man
07-21-2010, 06:28 PM
haha thanks man it sucks cuz i just changed the oil today then i stripped it haha so there brand new oil in there and stripped bolt lol

yellowzo3
07-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Yeah the same exact thing happened to me lol... Was putting the bolt back in the tank and i stripped it. I wasn't aware of it at first so I put the oil in and when I went back out to get the quad a few days later there were oil spots under it :(

y-man
07-21-2010, 10:22 PM
exactly man same here i looked after i was done and there were oil spot. what exactly does the helicoil do does it rethread it .

juice420
07-22-2010, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by y-man
exactly man same here i looked after i was done and there were oil spot. what exactly does the helicoil do does it rethread it .
If you dont know how to insert a helicoil i would highly suggest having a professional do it. I also stripped the oil tank on my kfx400 and tried to do the helicoil with a friend that had done it before, and sure enough we screwed it up more. I ended up paying a stealership 80 bucks to do it and they didnt do it right the first time because it still leaked. I just got my quad back recently and it hasn't leaked yet. cross your fingers.

yellowzo3
07-22-2010, 08:04 AM
It's really not that hard to do. I'm pretty sure it tells you how to do it on the package and if not, check out youtube or something. I'm sure there's gotta be a video or something somewhere on the web.

juice420
07-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
It's really not that hard to do. I'm pretty sure it tells you how to do it on the package and if not, check out youtube or something. I'm sure there's gotta be a video or something somewhere on the web.
If there was a video showing you how to perform brain surgery would you do it? lol

yellowzo3
07-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by juice420
If there was a video showing you how to perform brain surgery would you do it? lol

Lol wtf

y-man... Check out this video. This vid is about as detailed as you can get as far as explaining how to install a helicoil goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYa6sjhh_E

The tap you need to install the helicoil is included with the kit you buy at the local auto parts store. You don't need that insane kit he has. Just take your time and you can do it. It may take a while to thread the hole with the tap. If it feels super tight or the tap wont turn any further, back the tap out slowly and clean any metal shavings off, etc... and then repeat until your all the way through. After that just follow the rest of the video and you should be good to go! But if you really don't feel comfortable then see if you can get someone to do it for you, whether it be your pops or a professional.

y-man
07-22-2010, 08:42 PM
yellowzo3 thanks man i watched the video. looked like a good video. do you have any idea how much that kit could be

yellowzo3
07-23-2010, 07:49 AM
No prob... The kit you need to do the oil tank will be around $15. It'll look like this:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=helicoil&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11816736782579245461&ei=Ip1JTPj4AYPGnAf5n8GCDw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CDcQ8gIwAw#

It gives you enough of the "artificial threads" to do 6 helicoil jobs on bolts that have that thread size. You can see in the kit that you get the inserts, the tap, and the tool you need to install the helicoil. The kit I linked you to is not the exact kit you'll need. I'm not sure what size you need. But other than that the kit you'll get will look exactly the same.

y-man
07-23-2010, 10:47 AM
alright sweet thanks man. i just measure the size of the drain bolt and thats what i need ?

yellowzo3
07-23-2010, 12:44 PM
yeah do just like the guy in the video did. I'm not sure but hardware stores might have thread gauges set out in their bolt section you can use while shopping to make sure you get the right stuff.

y-man
07-23-2010, 08:05 PM
alrighty . i need to get this sucker fixed so i can ride haha.