PDA

View Full Version : dirt drag racing

GMC400ex
07-21-2010, 05:13 PM
so i tried dirt drag racing, got a couple runs in before the rain got to us, anyhow i was goin to see if you guys had any ideas what i could do as in like a cheap quick help with dragging. my ex is pretty stock just a fmf and jetting thats litterally it but to set it up for dragging i made a few front in mods, flipped the tires and ratchet strapped down my front end nothing out the ordinary. when racing i started off in 2nd gear but seemed slow, figured 1st would blow the tires off the line but i did good using 2nd just kinda falls on its face then picks up from using a high gear. I thought about dropping a tooth on front sprocket i know thats just torque but might help on take off but im not looking to get real big into just something fun and different to do, just any little thing would be appreciated, thanks.
ps it was a blast dragging haha

JOHNDOE83
07-21-2010, 05:46 PM
If you want people to be like, damn thats a stock motor 400ex?

get some paddle tires or some zippers, drop the gearing to 13/39, make some drag struts to replace the shocks, start in first instead of second but shift into second right after you clear the line.

with the removal of 7 bolts, you can go back and fourth from struts to shocks.

You can buy the alluminum struts at lowes or home depot.

If you wanna do this stuff, it will deffinetly help your drag racing.

If you really want, you dont have to strut it, but it takes alot of extra weight off....ALOT!

Theres more you can do, but you probally wanna keep it mostly trail worthy? and easily switched back and fourth.

I do alot of drag racing, so does ericcrip, also look up droppedmazda's thread his 400ex is the baddest on this site...lol.

Also, flip your rims back around, if you are gonna flip any rims, do the back!!!

GMC400ex
07-21-2010, 06:29 PM
yeah man ur dead on it..want to keep trail worthy, but still be able to flip for drag during the week..i like ur ideas and i see where u are goin with this..i love the struts idea..and as far as dropmazada..i seen his bad @$$ 460 haha he lives here in ky..thats lil more over the top than what i am lookin for but sick regardless..i understand why to flip the back tires but why u think i should flip front back around just curious..thanks again dude

JOHNDOE83
07-21-2010, 07:13 PM
With my experience with inverted rims, on the dirt they tend to pull left or right a lil more. You wanna be as straight as possible when going down the strip, if you hit a rut, it will tend to pull you that way, just a slight juke to the left or right could cost you the race.

Thats also why you flip the backs, it narrows the rear a lil keeping you on more of a straight line, like having a drag axel.

For street you want the width in front, it helps keep it a lil straighter and when you do get a lil off track it will correct itself a lil faster and easier. The narrow front end on street will make you sway back and fourth when trying to correct.

With extended a-arms it wont pull like that, the inverts put the extra pull left to right from being offset.

slightlybent47
07-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Also on the point made above, when you narrow the rear it allows more power to the wheels. When you widen it, it robs power but improves cornering.
Keep only enough gas to make a few runs and that will help with weight.
Drop your air pressure in the rear for more traction and increase it in the front so they roll beter.

07-22-2010, 06:20 AM
2x on the flip the back rims it helps alot. also get a 450 carb it will help and be nice in the woods. it not much for the carb and your not doing any thing to the motor but giving it more air and fuel all so get a stage 1 hot cam. you can get a new one for $129. shipped off ebay and a 450 carb for around $125 to $175 just those to will help so much. it just how far do you want to go there a lot out there that is cheap and will give big gains like a +3 or +6 key you can get a cam , carb and a +3 key for about $300 to $350 and still have not gone in to the motor much and will be great woods , mx or drag bike.

droppedmazda
07-22-2010, 12:05 PM
one of the best things you can do is make your bike lighter. the best thing you can do is take weight off of your rotating assembly, like a drag axle. my axle with all the hubs, sprocket, and brake rotor weighs 13lbs. stock is almost 30lbs. you could still ride it in the woods to. narrow your bike up is also a good mod, you actually better your traction by adjusting the width of your axle but make sure your back wheels line up in the path of your front wheel. depending on what kind of tires you have you can actually get more traction by adding air to get the rollout up.

07-22-2010, 01:17 PM
13 lbs.? what set up do you have and how much ? all so what brand is it ?

JOHNDOE83
07-22-2010, 03:56 PM
I told you ericcrip them extended swingers only weigh like 7 lbs, thats why I want one so bad...lol. They are only $350.

On topgear and mythbusters, they proved that increasing pressure in the tires works best also.

I keep 10 or 13 lbs in my tires at the track, and since my fronts are scooter tires, I usually pump em to 19 lbs.

droppedmazda
07-25-2010, 02:56 AM
i have a rpm drag axle, its all aluminum. i'd say they're about 500-550 new. but if i was going to buy one i would get a jj&a, theirs are likke 11lbs for around the same price. i saw one on planetsand the other day that was carbon fiber with titanium bolts and aluminum hubs and it weighed 8 lbs but they're like 1300-1400 new.

GMC400ex
07-25-2010, 09:17 PM
yeah i wondering about tirepresser i think i have like 5 in the back and 2.5 in the front haha i decided to go with the low tire pressure bc i knew that what they did in real drag racing and in pulling..but i wasnt sure if that was too low or whatever..andi got to thinkin about my front end begin wider is kinda dumb..bc NHRA cars are as narrow as possible which physics wise makes perfect sense..but i have fliped tires in front back to stock then lowered it down and fliped rear tires in and we'll see how that goes tomorrow..as far as the hot cam stage 1 i had thought bout that as an upgrade in the future..but i am in the process of gettin ready to build a an 05 ex and might put my money into that instead of tryin to do a whole lot to this one..but i appreciate all the help anymore ideas would be awsome..haha thanks again