PDA

View Full Version : MX front width

Jamey1E
07-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Do any of you guys run +3 in front and rears. If so what would that bring the final width to. Also if you run long travel front suspension do you have to run long travel rears to make the suspension work right. Just wondering because I recently picked up a +3 in Leager Elka front end cheap and was wondering if it was worth using or sale it to buy +2 in. By the way I'm new to quads and only ride MX, spent the last 8 years riding bikes and picked up a quad to see how I liked it so I got an 04 450R.

tjsdaname
07-21-2010, 05:14 PM
I run a +3 janssen outlaw long travel front end with LT fox float evols

and it is awesome! an I have not measured the front end width yet, but I think it's at about 48 inches

BlaineKaiser450
07-21-2010, 06:31 PM
If you run a +3 front end with 4:1 rims you will be at 50. My plus 4 axle with stock offset rims was 49.5 inches. By no means do you have to have a long travel rear, but aftermarket is definatly worth it if you have the front. You will notice a bigger difference with the rear end anyways

D Bergstrom
07-21-2010, 07:29 PM
If you have a true +3 front end, you will be over 50". Both of my 450R's have a true +3 front end and they are 51" wide with 4:1 offset wheels. I have run three different front ends on my 450R's over the years, below are the widths that went along with the a-arm width:

+2 arms - 49" wide
+2.5 arms - 50" wide
+3 arms - 51" wide

All the widths are with 4:1 wheels, and they are approximate. I know usually when you are checked for width, you have to ride between two vertical bars that are exactly 50" apart. If you fit, you are good. That is how I measure my front ends, two vertical bars placed along the sidewall of the front tires. I then sit on the quad so my weight makes it a little wider and spreads the bars a little, get off the quad and push it out of the way, then measure between the two bars. This is the way I got the above widths.

I only know of a few companies that make a true +3 front end. I believe most companies just say they are +3 as it is easier then +2.xx. I know the company I bought my +3 arms for also make a +2.5 arm, as they wanted to make an a-arm that would put a 450R at a 50" width.

Just my experience.

Doug

Jamey1E
07-21-2010, 08:08 PM
thanks guys. I'm still on factory wheels so I'm going to try and measure it and see where I'm at then maybe looking at 4:1 offset wheels. Do you know if Hyper makes that offset, I really want a set of hypers but if not who makes different offsets.

rollie
07-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Yeah Hiper makes 4:1 offset, its a very common size wheel.

I could be wrong but i believe that laegers are + 2 3/8th but either way with 4:1 offset wheels you will be right under 50in.

shiftyfofiddy
07-25-2010, 12:02 PM
you have to remember they measure in races at the bottom of the tire. so ya you could be 50 at the top but with camber it does push the lower out

400exrider707
07-26-2010, 03:28 PM
D bergstrom hit the nail on the head, but I want to add a couple things for thought.

Your camber will also affect your overall width as well, if you're running a huge negative camber the bottom of the tires are going to be way out and add overall width (this really only applies when you're running through the bars like he said at the nationals).

The rider NEEDS to be on the quad to measure this, and your ride height (which should also be set with the rider on the quad) will affect this as well, the more it sags the wider it gets.

Another thing that should be pointed out... last I knew, Hipers were not a true 4:1, unless they've changed over the last couple years. The aluminum wheeled 4:1's were narrower than the Hipers when bolted on to the quad.

X-tech
07-26-2010, 07:19 PM
D Bergstrom & 400exrider707 are both correct and I also want to add some more here. Another thing to consider is what tire are you running. A 20" MX tire is usually 6" wide and a 21" XC type tire is usually 7" wide. This will add approximately 1/2" extra per side making the quad around 1" wider total if you have 7" wide tires vs. 6" wide. There are so many variables that it can drive you crazy.

What affects ATV width:
1) A-arm Length (assuming your the manufacturer is giving accurate measurements)
2) Ride height (always measure your width at ride height)
3) Wheel offset (not all 4/1 offset wheels are created equal)
4) Tire width
5) Camber (top of tire leaning in)