PDA

View Full Version : Ford 302 - Testing It's Abilities

Brauap
07-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Hello! I was wondering if 302 SBF has it in it to be able to run atleast mid-10's if it where to be put in a drag ready Maverick.. this is without any turbos or superchargers (NOS is allowed)? I would like to run atleast mid-10's down the strip, however, I would like to use a 302 and not a 351. Does anyone have any motor mod build tips they would reccomend for building a 10 second 302?

wilkin250r
07-21-2010, 03:39 PM
The 351 is preffered for obvious reasons, like the old saying "No replacement for displacement".

But if you're looking for a "More from less" project, I believe the 300ci inline 6 is a much better engine than the 302.

eastside 400
07-21-2010, 03:53 PM
you can get a 302 BASED engine into mid 10's, not with a stock block or atleast not many runs with a stock block. Get a dart block and run a big stroker setup with 8.2 deck. but if your going to do all that then why not just start with a 9.5 deck and go even faster

Brauap
07-21-2010, 04:55 PM
300 I6... DRAG? :confused:

How is that? Lower preformance, Lower Horsepower, Lower Revving Torque Monster verus a Higher Preformance, Higher Horsepower, Higher Revving Toquey Motor?

Kickstarts-suck
07-21-2010, 05:23 PM
How much does the Maverick weigh?

What do you mean "drag ready"?

416exfreak
07-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
you can get a 302 BASED engine into mid 10's, not with a stock block or atleast not many runs with a stock block.

Not true. A stock block will hold fine if its been properly machined, and has a good girdle on the mains, and in the lifter valley. Make sure the rotating assembly is well balanced.

My dad sprayed a 250 shot on a stock blocked 347 for 2 seasons (over 100 passes) and when we took it out, all it needed was a fresh set of rings.

Limit your RPM's, dont over-rev it, and itll live a nice long life.

BTW- his car was an '80 mustang notch, on 28x10.5 slicks and went a best of 9.45 at 143mph in the 1/4.

400exrider707
07-21-2010, 11:48 PM
No turbo or supecharger? Booo...

Boost IS the replacement for displacement!

06typeS
07-22-2010, 08:53 AM
To be mid 10's its going to have to be a pretty wild build, if your set on using a 302 look into a 331 or 347 stroker. Nitrous will def make it easier getting into the 10's.

Traction is going to be key though, if the car won't hook there is no chance.

VTredneckgames
07-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Brauap
300 I6... DRAG? :confused:

How is that? Lower preformance, Lower Horsepower, Lower Revving Torque Monster verus a Higher Preformance, Higher Horsepower, Higher Revving Toquey Motor?

300 I6 in stock form yes is a lower performer. But in a boosted application, the block design makes it far superior to a factory 302.

There is simply no reason at all to try to do it with a stock 302 block other then "just so you can". That is almost the same idiocracy that is said when people try to build a high performance 305 vs a 350. If you are wanting to go that fast, start with a 351 block if you want a factory casting.

302 blocks, like mentioned earlier can last if the rpms are limited, block has been reinforced, and there is zero detonation problems. I have seen more then 1 302 block split down through the cam and crank journals with nothing but the intake and oil pan holding them together. You cant turn all those high rpms and expect stock parts to live. Unfortunately for you though, high rpms is what builds hp, especially in lower cubic inches. So that is another reason to start with the 351.

Trying to build a factory casting 302 to go that fast is a waste of your time.

Brauap
07-22-2010, 08:51 PM
I would love to add a supercharger like your wouldn't believe but I don't have the 3 grand to spend and I do not think I would be able to cram a turbo under the hood of the Maverick...

Would it sound more reasonable if I shot for the mid 11 second range instead?

Guy400
07-23-2010, 08:49 AM
I would love to add a supercharger like your wouldn't believe but I don't have the 3 grand to spend and I do not think I would be able to cram a turbo under the hood of the Maverick...

Would it sound more reasonable if I shot for the mid 11 second range instead? Turbo would be incredibly easy to fit in a Maverick with a 302.

Are you saying you want to keep 302 cubic inch displacement and get to the 10's or are you willing to stroke the 302 to get more cubic inch? Also, consider that in the 11 second category or faster you're going to need a legal cage to race at 99% of the tracks out there.

You can go as fast as your budget allows. I'm seriously not trying to insult you but if you can't afford $3k for a supercharger than you can't afford to get to the 11's on a 302 period. Hot rodding/drag racing is a very costly hobby and virtually nothing comes cheap. To get to the 11's reliably you're going to have to drop some nice coin on beefing the rotating assembly up and associated parts. You're definitely going to need head work done and a solid valvetrain built for abuse. Once you spent the money for reliable HP you need to move on to the clutch/tranny/rear end. Once you have that you're going to need tires/suspension plus the cage and related safety equipment to pass inspection at your local track (I'm guessing Quaker City for you in Salem). You're still young and this sounds like your first stab at any type of muscle car. Build a solid 302 and aim for high 13's. While on paper it sounds slow it's as fast or faster than most of what you're going to pull up next to and you're always going to get beat by something so you'll never be the fastest. Once your budget allows start building to go faster over time.

Brauap
07-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Yup! Quaker City is where I go! hah good guess!

Do you know where I can find a known, reliable stroker kit I can simply bolt in? I have found several, but I am not yet familiar with auto part names.. and I also do not know how much the adverage 347 stroker will cost me? And do you know if anyone makes a turbocharger kit that will work for the motor but will also fit under the hood?

Like you had mentioned, I am (obviously) new with drag racing and such and I like the Maverick being it is a Ford, I can find them cheap, and I like the looks of them (as others say it is the ugliest car ever) and I would like to use a 302 because this will also be a daily driver & I like the smaller displacement motors because you will get a better feel of satisfaction when you beat someone in a race.

Thanks guys!
Colton W.

Guy400
07-23-2010, 11:00 AM
I've been to Quaker City a bunch. I was raised from K - college in Canton, Oh and my in-laws still live in Austintown.

I'm not a Ford expert by any means (Chevy guy all my life) but you can't go wrong with a Summit catalog. Go to their website and subscribe for free catalogs.

KevinAb
07-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Yup! Quaker City is where I go! hah good guess!

Do you know where I can find a known, reliable stroker kit I can simply bolt in? I have found several, but I am not yet familiar with auto part names.. and I also do not know how much the adverage 347 stroker will cost me? And do you know if anyone makes a turbocharger kit that will work for the motor but will also fit under the hood?

Like you had mentioned, I am (obviously) new with drag racing and such and I like the Maverick being it is a Ford, I can find them cheap, and I like the looks of them (as others say it is the ugliest car ever) and I would like to use a 302 because this will also be a daily driver & I like the smaller displacement motors because you will get a better feel of satisfaction when you beat someone in a race.

Thanks guys!
Colton W.

What's the old saying about drag racing? -

Fast, cheap, or reliable. Pick any two.

As mentioned above a 13 second car will be plenty of fun and let you get your feet wet. Drag racing is a very expensive hobby. If it's a daily driver, a 13 second car is pretty darn quick on the street. A 10 or 11 second streetable car would not be a daily driver.

416exfreak
07-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Bruaup- are you planning on using the Mav for drag racing only or is it gonna be a street/strip car?

If you wanna drive it on the street, id lean towards a 331 stroker.. the 347 kits will build more power in the end, but at a cost of reliability.

The 347's are know for burning more oil, but the largest drawback is that the pistons required to build a 347 have a VERY short skirt, which lets them wobble in the cylinder which in turn will eat the rings out of them, and scar your cylinders.

The pistons in a 331 have a good bit more skirt, and are more stable, which in the end will help the engine live longer.

an all motor 331 in a gutted Mav would EASILY put you in the 13's, and a C4 with a shift kit and a good convertor would stay behind it for a good while too.

I advise you to ditch the factory 7" rear, and go for an 8.8.

Like a previous reply stated, building a fast car/truck gets costly VERY fast.. axe me how I know.:chinese:

trick450r
07-24-2010, 09:59 AM

Would it sound more reasonable if I shot for the mid 11 second range instead?

If you don't have 3k for the charger just out of curiosity what kind of budget do you have for the whole project?

In my opinion you CANNOT put together a well built stroker v8 for less than 3 grand minimum. The 6.0 LT1 in my firebird in my sig cost me over $6k for the short block alone and I did the final assembly so that's all parts cost essentially.

eastside 400
07-24-2010, 01:29 PM
there are cheaper kits out there, if its for street use or if you are careful and dont rev it high, a cast setup wouldnt be bad. Try CHP or DSS etc.. for kits, i would go 331 with a c4 and built 8.8. the cast rotating assembly should only run around 1g. that being said, it all adds up in the end, and the sky is the limit. just start adding up rockers, pushrods, cam, intake, water pumps, ignition setups, and all the final finshes and the money adds up quick. I have 5g into just a rotating assembly, heads, cam and lifters

trick450r
07-25-2010, 09:33 AM
one more thing is please stay away from Eagle cast products. They are chinese junk, when purchasing motor parts always buy American!

Brauap
07-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys! As you as obviously guessed, I am on a budget! Any OMG I never relized how expinsive drag racing is! WOW! Listening to KevinAb and Guy400: What mods would you reccomend to a 302 to get a high 12, low 13 second motor?

You guys are great!
Thanks So Much!
Colton W.

Guy400
07-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Cylinder heads and cam is where you're going to make your most power. But, you have to make sure you're putting the proper package together. You really need to find a quality engine builder that you trust and get a plan together before you start buying parts. Build it on paper first. When buying a cam you're going to need to know what intake you're going to use, what stall torque converter you're going to run (assuming it's an auto), what RPM range you're looking for and several other things.

ballzdeep38
07-28-2010, 12:39 PM
if this is going to be a daily driver then a low cost (in terms of drag racing) 10 sec. car is unrealistic. its true that a 13 sec. car is pretty quick in street terms, especially if you are going against cars with simple bolt ons. the 302 would be just fine for this if you get a later model block (87-92). those will come with the E7 heads and parts are readily available and fairly cheap. porting those heads, swaping the cam and the basic bolt ons (headers/exhaust, intake manifold, pulleys, diff. gears, etc) with slicks is a high 12 sec combo in a 3000lbs car. that would be a relatively budget built car and still be very streetable.

as for 10s on a 302 block, it is very doable but like was said its not cheap. i have seen it done with a modded 400hp n/a k-code 289. this was in a very light weight purpose built bracket car with big slicks (tubbed), built c4 trans, and was NOT a daily driver in anyway shape or form. so it can be done but that was one expensive car...

416exfreak
07-29-2010, 09:23 PM
The best base 302 you could ever start with will come out of the later year explorers. They dont use a conventional distributor, rather a crank trigger and coil on plug electronics (ford was testing the system).

That engine came with what are essentially GT40 heads, and an intake (upper and lower) equivalent to what was on the '93 cobra.

Also came with a stronger bottom end..

Too tired to type anymore, but Ill get back to this later.