PDA

View Full Version : In-Line fuel filters. Good or Bad?

albertp86
07-20-2010, 03:41 PM
I have been using the inline fuel filters forever. I know that there is a filter inside the take but I figured its extra insurance. A buddy of mine tells me get rid of it, that it restricts the amount of fuel. Ok?? Then there are the pingle valves that others use as opposed to the stock petcock. I thing OEM is the way to go with the fuel filter but I am open to what others think. I only dune and normally wide open and have never noticed a lack of fuel. However, with a bigger carb and 310, should I get rid of the fuel filter???

86 Quad R
07-20-2010, 04:20 PM
cant really comment in regard to the larger engine/carbs but i have been using that very inline filter you have pictured for years and have never had any issues. what i llike about it is you can easily identify if there are contaminares and/or water in the system. :cool:

machwon
07-20-2010, 08:17 PM
I've had a problem with a couple not flowing enough fuel. I think the bigger problem is they eventually leak. It's 2 more connections, 2 more clamps and just a pain. Just my .02

mxduner
07-20-2010, 10:10 PM
I have seen dune sand in my clear filter, and that is after 1 trip, 5 days to the dune. ti fwiw.

atvmxr
07-20-2010, 10:20 PM
I have mixed thoughts on this...
i had a MX blaster w/ 34mm carb that would run out of fuel if you didnt let the fuel filter fill up with fuel before you started it

realistically we do service and change piston, rings, etc. etc. etc. far more frequently than a street driven vehicle. point being even if some particle was to get past the stock fuel filters, it would probably be smaller than a particle that might happen to get by the air filter... and to come full circle we already have a shorten service life based upon the junk coming in via the air filter...

albertp86
07-21-2010, 04:49 PM
I guess since I have not had one leak before and have not had a lack a fuel issue, the safe bet would then be to keep it on and change it out more frequent. I thing they cost $2-$3 bucks. Again, cheap insurance for now until I have issues with it. I just thought that it might increase performance.

derby
07-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by albertp86
I guess since I have not had one leak before and have not had a lack a fuel issue, the safe bet would then be to keep it on and change it out more frequent. I thing they cost $2-$3 bucks. Again, cheap insurance for now until I have issues with it. I just thought that it might increase performance.

Keep running it. Like others said cheap insurance. If you are running the bowl dry you will know it. The bike will fall on its face at wide open throttle and shut down. If you don't have that problem your filter is probably flowing enough to keep the bowl full.

wilkin250r
07-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Put some money on it, and put it to a test. The test should be easy.

Fill your tank full. Pull your fuel line off at the carb, and drain it into a gas can, and time how long it takes to drain through the filter. I'm betting less than 15 minutes, but let's just say it's 15 minutes exactly.

Now, fill your tank, and find someplace you can ride for 15 minutes at WOT. If you still have fuel in your tank after 15 minutes (and I'm betting you do, I don't know of any quad that will only go 15 minutes on a full tank of gas), then this is absolute proof that the fuel filter will flow faster than your engine requires.

speedfreek
07-23-2010, 06:11 PM
I run one on every bike that I have ever owned. I also install them on customers bikes that don't have them. And they are usually in my shop for a carb rebuild because of trash getting by the cheap in tank screen.

The filter that I use looks similar to yours. The ones I use have a brass thing inside.

I've never had a restriction problem but have had several leaks, fixed em with better hose clamps.