PDA

View Full Version : what does everyone think about fox shocks

450r07
07-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Hey everyone i was just wondering what your input is on fox shocks. I just ordered a set i think there going to be awesome. Anyone have them?

eastside 400
07-20-2010, 03:47 PM
i love mine, they take a while to get used to and how to set them up properly, read the manual for adjustments and dont worry if you run your pressures way off of what the manual gives as baselines, they are off alot of times, just set your main chamber for ride height and then the evol you can mess with for bottom resistance. If you ever need service work done, talk to Toby at Moto-Xperts, he hooked up my shocks this winter and they are much better then when i got them from fox, he does some mods to them to help em out.

55stone
07-20-2010, 10:25 PM
I love my.. Had them customer valves and dunked with also.. And like also stated play around with ur evol and settings and so on... But great shocks I love them... Hope u like urs too

airmobile101
07-21-2010, 03:36 AM
Love them! I love the fact you can adjust the high speed on them and really tune those bad boys in.

tjsdaname
07-21-2010, 12:59 PM
yeah, they are amazing shocks!
but they do take a while to dial in....

D Bergstrom
07-21-2010, 07:36 PM
I think Fox makes some good shocks, but I do think they are a little "generic" in valving. I know when I bought mine, the only thnig I was asked was what quad and a-arm I was running, nothing about rider weight, skill level, type of riding, etc. Leads me to believe they just use a one valving spec and depend on the adjustability of the shocks to get you close. It works alright, but I think a specific setup will work much better.

I currently have Fox shoxs on one 450R, and Motowoz on the other. The Motowoz work quite a bit better then the Fox stuff. Motowoz asked all the questions that Fox didn't, including stuff I would have never thought they would ask.

I do think the are a good quality shock, just need specific valving work to be perfect. I know I will be sedning mine out to be redone once I get the funds to do it.

Doug

450r07
07-22-2010, 01:28 AM
Well i have them ordered they should be here by monday or tuesday. after i get em on ill let ya know what i think of them asap. The way you all are talking though i will have nothing to worry about.

arTuReX
07-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Unless you are super picky! you should be fine!

DEVINF450R
07-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Fox is awesome on everything OTHER than a 450R. Floats tend to dive a bit too much on the Honda. PEP or Motowoz are from what I hear the best on Hondas... but as long as you are not an a-class racer, the fox shox will be a great setup for you... super smooth. I have ran Fox on all my LTR's and Kawi's

racrdude41
07-22-2010, 01:05 PM
ive had elkas on my last to bikes didnt ever think fox where anything special than i bought a bike with them on there and wow im in love now haha they are alot smoother and if you over shoot stuff its better i live them alot and if you dont like them ill trade a some elkas haha

eastside 400
07-22-2010, 04:00 PM
you wont have body roll if you learn to set them up right, people run way to soft in the low speed. just crank it up a bit and it helps.

dustin_j
07-23-2010, 08:28 AM
eastside 400:

Does the low speed compression do enough to act like crossovers? I've wondered how to keep the floats from diving in corners. The air spring, even with the evol chamber, does not allow the same adjustments as a conventional multiple spring shock. Note I've never ridden on a set, this is all speculation based on how they're built/designed.

HoleshotR15
07-23-2010, 09:37 AM
When I first started to ride on mine, i wasnt to particularly fond of them. Then I called SF racing and he sat on the phone and walked me thru how to set them, completely changed my opinion on the shock now. Would love t try a set of Axis Airs tho...

RallySoob
07-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom
I think Fox makes some good shocks, but I do think they are a little "generic" in valving. I know when I bought mine, the only thnig I was asked was what quad and a-arm I was running, nothing about rider weight, skill level, type of riding, etc. Leads me to believe they just use a one valving spec and depend on the adjustability of the shocks to get you close. It works alright, but I think a specific setup will work much better.

I currently have Fox shoxs on one 450R, and Motowoz on the other. The Motowoz work quite a bit better then the Fox stuff. Motowoz asked all the questions that Fox didn't, including stuff I would have never thought they would ask.

I do think the are a good quality shock, just need specific valving work to be perfect. I know I will be sedning mine out to be redone once I get the funds to do it.

Doug

It's not Generic valving, it's a completely different system of operation. The reason they ask you ride style, weight etc when buying normal sprung suspension is because they need to know that info to tune the shock; how heavy the spring needs to be, valving, etc all need to be right on when tuning a sprung shock.

The beauty of the Fox Float is the fact you can do all that adjusting yourself using the supplied pump. Yes they take some effort to tune because well you have to tune them; sprung shocks are tuned by the shop before you buy them. You could literaly run the floats on a bike for a 160lb rider and then pump them up yourself for that 300lb rider...most versatile shocks ever made if you ask me

This system also helps the resale because you can sell them to any weight/style rider

eastside 400
07-23-2010, 03:50 PM
the low speed compression is somewhat of a comprimise in the turns, the stiffer you make it, the less roll you have but its also going to ride a little rougher, running a lot of air in the evol chamber can get rid of the roll also but makes the shock stiff, you just have to find a happy medium like every shock, the fox's do have more roll then a normal spring shock. The axis air's are junk, they always blow out and not too many people like them.

D Bergstrom
07-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by RallySoob
It's not Generic valving, it's a completely different system of operation.

Evols use the same valving system as a coil shock, piston with shim stack in oil with a nitrogen charge. The only difference is they use a air spring instead of a coil spring. If you look at a cutaway of a Evol, the air spring and valving system are independent of each other. The Evol manual even states adjusting the pressure in the main spring is like crossove/tender spring adjustments and the adjusting the Evol chamber is like changing the main spring on a coil shock. The adjustments you make with the air pumps do not effect valving.

A shim stack should change based on your type of riding, XC, MX, desert, etc. You would aslo have different shims for skill level, pro, expert, etc. Do you have to change shims, of course not, but to truely have a perfect setup, you should.

Sure, you can adjust a set of Evols for a 160 lb rider and a 300 lb rider, but it would not be a perfect setup for one or the other. You can do the same with a set of coil shocks, just will cost you some money for new springs. You still didn't change the valving in either shock, so it is still a "generic" setup in my book. Sure it will work, but it will not be perfect.

I have had shocks that I have sent off to get revalved that the springs were not touched on, only the valving was changed. They came back a better working shock. To me, valving is the most important part of setting up a shock.

Doug

airmobile101
07-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by HoleshotR15
When I first started to ride on mine, i wasnt to particularly fond of them. Then I called SF racing and he sat on the phone and walked me thru how to set them, completely changed my opinion on the shock now. Would love t try a set of Axis Airs tho...
Agreed! I was fortunate enough to have a Pro-Am rider give me a better baseline to work off than what the manual states. The soft setting baseline in the manual is still way too hard for a guy like me(150lbs). Also, from what I'm told ,the Fox tend to work better with the Houser setup when compared to the ARS-FX setup for XC. Don't know if that holds water or not.............