PDA

View Full Version : where can i buy new frame parts for the ds in the usa.

florentino
07-20-2010, 12:01 AM
yes my dealer is the biggest in nor cal but they dont know what a can am is.
i need to 2 upper frame rails by the gas tank

and the one buy the shock that breaks all the time.

and a skid plate.

morgan#53
07-20-2010, 03:20 AM
try BCS or Warnet racing.

florentino
07-20-2010, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by morgan#53
try BCS or Warnet racing.

ok thanks how about dealers or stores like rocky mountain???

TNT
07-20-2010, 01:04 PM
I thought you were going to make your own????? :confused:

florentino
07-20-2010, 05:06 PM
my pieces on the top are so bad i can t copy the bends.

and i finaly found a way to may gussets no welding. i have all my frame apart. and once im done you can tell me how i did good or bad. i found all the week areas in the frame. i will put 10 extra lbs on the frame i dont care. it will be solid.
i will put a honda radiator on it where the oil tank goes and relocate the oil tank.
thats just the kind of guy that i am.

TNT
07-20-2010, 05:46 PM
If your referring to the upper formed extrusions the upper engine formed sheet metal attaches to by two bolts, no you can't copy that bend even if you had good pieces because those are stretch die formed in the 2024-0 condition(soft) then heat treated to 2024-T4......done that way to prevent cracking during forming and relieve internal stresses after forming...why I keep telling you the technology of the DS is expensive (tools, chem treat, design, build process, etc) more than the average joe can do or most know about.....

Now what you can do is get two 2024-t4 straight extrusions(2) and gusset them at the engine mount bolts.

If your talking about the side pieces mid engine those are easy non foirmed extrusions too.

florentino
07-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by TNT
If your referring to the upper formed extrusions the upper engine formed sheet metal attaches to by two bolts, no you can't copy that bend even if you had good pieces because those are stretch die formed in the 2024-0 condition(soft) then heat treated to 2024-T4......done that way to prevent cracking during forming and relieve internal stresses after forming...why I keep telling you the technology of the DS is expensive (tools, chem treat, design, build process, etc) more than the average joe can do or most know about.....

Now what you can do is get two 2024-t4 straight extrusions(2) and gusset them at the engine mount bolts.

If your talking about the side pieces mid engine those are easy non foirmed extrusions too.

no i want to start from scrach but i want to put new frame pices .. to have good dimensions to work with.
mi ingles no es muy bueno . hard for mi to explain.

ok i will take pics later to show you.

TNT
07-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Ok, but the only way to know if your dimensions are good is to go back to the Final Assembly Jig (FAJ)….Remember that design computer model some think are not necessary, well a Laser Tracking (LT) floor device or Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM) can shoot and locate tooling pin locations for a-arms, swing arm, steering stem, axle, and other key features of the quad to build the FAJ right from the computer. If your frame is out of square, this is the only way to get it back. The pins locators are shot to extremely tight tolerances, sometimes to .0005. I’m involved in a similar project right now verifying our engineering 3d GD&T dimensioning scheme is obtainable and inspectable.

Just FYI, looking fwd to your pics. :D