PDA

View Full Version : cop trouble

muddzilla94
07-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Recently i got pulled over because the cop thought my exhaust was too loud he listened to it and told me i was good to go, a couple days ago he pulled me over again saying he already told me once i was too loud and that i had to buy a stock exhaust or he was going to impound it next time he seen me. does anybody else think thats about the stupidest thing a cop has ever told you before?

Lasher
07-19-2010, 11:59 AM
What's the noise laws?

You are either breaking the law or not...simple.

Bwetzel55
07-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Were you on your 4wheeler or your truck?? My buddie just got pulled over he has a old chevy diesel thats ****ing loud. First time he was ever pulled over because of that reason he was slapped with a $290 dollar fine

CJM
07-19-2010, 03:26 PM
he cant just impound it off the bat, he can fine you and possibly make you get it fixed but he cant just impound it unless he has a really good reason.

He bothers you again get his name and badge number (he has to give it) and call and file a complaint he is harassing you.

Cops in my town at least wont mess with me, he who can tow your cruiser away and get away with it is not a smart one to mess with.

Kickstarts-suck
07-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Ive had cops tell me stupider things..

I got pulled over when I had open LT headers on my 5.0 and the cop didn't say anything about it.. lol

rbgnwa45
07-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Oh the irony of "stupider" LOL...

OP, you didn't mention you said something like "but you pulled me over last week and said it was fine", why?

That's called harassment. The ruling given on one day goes for the rest. You might as well report it.

slightlybent47
07-19-2010, 05:45 PM
They had a guy on the news a few weeks ago that had gotten pulled over on his bicycle and was harassed. The cop didn’t see the helmet cam the guy was wearing in plane sight.
The guy then posted it on you tube and got sued by the department for supposedly illegally video taping to police.
WTF you mean they can tape me during a stop but I can’t tape them?

They clamed that because it had audio that was the illegal part. But they do the same thing when they pull you over.

I never herd if he was convicted of it though.

Make a complaint on the cop so you have some kind of record showing what he has been doing.
Documentation is everything with something like this. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/aktion/action-smiley-083.gif

muddzilla94
07-19-2010, 07:26 PM
i was on my fourwheeler when i got pulled over, were allowed to ride in town were i live legally and there is not a noise law. the cops say its 98db is suppose to be the loudest but none of them have a db tester to be sure of what my exhaust is. they just make u start it if they see it and it dont look like a factory exhaust. pointless if u ask me unless they have a db tester lol

slightlybent47
07-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by muddzilla94
i was on my fourwheeler when i got pulled over, were allowed to ride in town were i live legally and there is not a noise law. the cops say its 98db is suppose to be the loudest but none of them have a db tester to be sure of what my exhaust is. they just make u start it if they see it and it dont look like a factory exhaust. pointless if u ask me unless they have a db tester lol

Yeah that’s like guessing if you are speeding, no meter no ticket, or at least one that will stick. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/aktion/action-smiley-083.gif

Newt327
07-19-2010, 10:45 PM

Where in Kentucky do you live? I live in Kentucky as well and as far as I know there is nowhere in the state where it is legal to ride on public roads. I could be wrong but that's what I read on one of the state sites, DMV or something.

Lasher
07-19-2010, 10:55 PM
You say that there are no noise laws, but the cops are saying 98 decibels.

Find out the actual law. While there may not be a "quad exhaust" law, it could be a general noise law or even an "on the road" (cars, bikes, etc) noise law.

Once you know the actual law, measure you quad decibel level. I f you pass, then go down to the police station with your tester and politely ask an officer to test the exhaust and be done with this. If you are above the noise level, get a quieter exhaust.

In any event, go down to the police station (with parents if under age) and get a straight answer. If your town is small enough, I am sure the cops will appreciate you coming down and lay off ya.

stoopidbot
07-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Yeah that’s like guessing if you are speeding, no meter no ticket, or at least one that will stick. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/aktion/action-smiley-083.gif Just so you know, cops are trained to visually estimate the speed of an oncoming/passing vehicle. The cop can write you a ticket off of visual determination of your speed. They will then testify in court and tell the judge what training he has had to guess your speed. How often will you be able to prove that you were not speeding or his training was not good enough?

Kickstarts-suck
07-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by stoopidbot
Just so you know, cops are trained to visually estimate the speed of an oncoming/passing vehicle. The cop can write you a ticket off of visual determination of your speed. They will then testify in court and tell the judge what training he has had to guess your speed. How often will you be able to prove that you were not speeding or his training was not good enough?

That is REDONKULOUS! :huh

rbgnwa45
07-20-2010, 12:40 AM
Relax, any good lawyer knows you need absolute proof of any crime to be convicted of it :p.

There is no "cops word vs. mine".

You may say something like "reasonable proof because he's a cop"...

To which I say: PROVE IT!

To which you can't... you have no reasonable proof. Case closed.

"But this cop is trained"

"So?"

Done.

"How often will you be able to prove that you were not speeding"

It's not up to me to prove that I don't speed, it's up to you to prove that I do.

Why are cops trained to visually estimate speed when they need proof with a radar anyways?

You could just as equally reference for the prosecution cases where the cop says 20mph over when it was 20mph under. There goes your justification :ermm:.

derekhonda
07-20-2010, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by rbgnwa45
Relax, any good lawyer knows you need absolute proof of any crime to be convicted of it :p.

There is no "cops word vs. mine".

You may say something like "reasonable proof because he's a cop"...

To which I say: PROVE IT!

To which you can't... you have no reasonable proof. Case closed.

"But this cop is trained"

"So?"

Done.

"How often will you be able to prove that you were not speeding"

It's not up to me to prove that I don't speed, it's up to you to prove that I do.

Why are cops trained to visually estimate speed when they need proof with a radar anyways?

You could just as equally reference for the prosecution cases where the cop says 20mph over when it was 20mph under. There goes your justification :ermm:.

there goes your theory...
-------

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A simple educated guess that a motorist is speeding is all the evidence a police officer needs to write an ironclad speeding ticket, the Ohio Supreme Court ruled on Wednesday.

In a 5-to-1 ruling, the court said an officer's "unaided visual estimation of a vehicle's speed" is strong enough to support a ticket and conviction. A radar speed detector, commonly used by patrolmen, is not needed, the court concluded.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2010/06/police_officers_visual_estimat.html

stoopidbot
07-20-2010, 07:16 AM
OK, are you really going to go hire a lawyer for a speeding ticket? And a cop estimating your speed IS enough to receive a ticket. A cops testimony is his burden of proof.

You say relax, you're the one who seemed to get all huffy puffy...

slightlybent47
07-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Hmmmm!!! Am I speeding? http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/alles_moegliche/mixed-smiley-049.gif

muddzilla94
07-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Newt327 i live in evarts, ky

ROTTY261
07-20-2010, 07:58 AM
First a cop must prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" that your exhaust is to loud or that you are speeding and evidence of some kind is required for that.

For a cop to prove that you are speeding without radar or laser proof they would have to know the distance between to landmarks and record your time with an accurate watch. For example if you travel a known distance of 500 feet in exactly 5 seconds, you are going 60mph. A cop would have to prove that time and distance.

I have never been trained, nor do I know of any other cops that have been trained to tell speed by only looking at a vehicle.

He would probably impound your quad based on the fact that legally you cannot operate it on the road. I would assume you live in a small town and riding on the road is something they just overlook.

Read up on your state laws, from the little I just looked up it says you cannot ride on public roads except to cross them at as close to a 90 degree angle as possible and be on them for no more than 2/10 of a mile (about 350 yards or so). It also says if you are under 16 you cannot ride anything bigger than a 90 and must have adult supervision (I don't know how old you are).

stoopidbot
07-20-2010, 08:02 AM
I know plenty of cops in California that have told me otherwise...

muddzilla94
07-20-2010, 09:38 AM
i am 16, and i live in a small town and it is legal to ride on the road.

chucked
07-20-2010, 09:41 AM
I had a cop tell me you cant have your music louder then 50db at 50 feet. My old car (stock '99 neon) idled louder then that, and it was quiet!

OutlawBill
07-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Had a MP pull me and 1 other motorcycle rider over and said I due not know which one of you was speeding so I am going to write you both a speeding ticket. I thank him and ask for to talk to his Sergeant. I did not get the ticket but had to drive under the speed limit on post till I got new duty assignment.

slightlybent47
07-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by chucked
I had a cop tell me you cant have your music louder then 50db at 50 feet. My old car (stock '99 neon) idled louder then that, and it was quiet!

I have a sound meter and 50 db is not much more than a whisper. In fact my meter only has a 60 db as it’s lowest setting.
According to the book that came with my meter 70 db is a normal conversation.
So 50 db would be ridicules to try and enforce.
I just went out and started my ex and at 50 feet and at idle it reads 75 db.

If he told you 50 db is the limit then he is in violation himself just standing there talking to you. If that were true we would all be tip toeing around trying to be quiet. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/aktion/action-smiley-083.gif

chucked
07-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Yea I bought one after he said that. I think 50db is the equivalent to a quiet library

OutlawBill
07-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Sounds dB SPL
Rocket Launching 180
Jet Engine 140
Thunderclap, Air Raid Siren 1 Meter 130
Jet takeoff (200 ft) 120
Rock Concert, Discotheque 110
Firecrackers, Subway Train 100
Heavy Truck (15 Meter), City Traffic 90
Alarm Clock (1 Meter), Hair Dryer 80
Noisy Restaurant, Business Office 70
Air Conditioning Unit, Conversational Speech 60
Light Traffic (50 Meter), Average Home 50
Living Room, Quiet Office 40
Library, Soft Whisper (5 Meter) 30
Broadcasting Studio, Rustling Leaves 20
Hearing Threshold 0

ROTTY261
07-20-2010, 10:51 AM

If I were you I would find that law in writing to make sure you are covered. Also a state trooper will enforce the state laws and could cite you and impound for riding on a state highway.

muddzilla94
07-20-2010, 11:08 AM
the state cops dont say nothing, its just the town chief of police thats a d!ck head about it lol

Newt327
07-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Newt327 i live in evarts, ky

Are you near Wilderness Trail off road park? Some friends and I are planning a trip down there in 2 weeks. Can't wait!

As someone else stated about riding on the roads, I would find that law in writing. I'm not trying to say you are wrong, but Kentucky State Law states differently. If there is a local law that states you can ride on the roads I would want to know for certain and not just take peoples word that you are allowed. It could be that the cops just over look it since it's a rural area and if that is the case the last thing I would do is ruffle their feathers over a noise issue. The last thing you need is the cops changing their attitude toward ATV riders. Or perhaps just single you out and impound your quad for riding on the road if they can. People can say cops can’t do this and can’t do that, but I would venture to say most are pretty smart and not like Farva on Super troopers. If a cop just doesn’t like you he can make your life hell and most are smart enough to do it in a legal manner.

CJM
07-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by stoopidbot
Just so you know, cops are trained to visually estimate the speed of an oncoming/passing vehicle. The cop can write you a ticket off of visual determination of your speed. They will then testify in court and tell the judge what training he has had to guess your speed. How often will you be able to prove that you were not speeding or his training was not good enough?

ive had that pacing BS throw out of court more times than one. Its absolute bs..

Good ex: I was driving along in a car that wouldnt go over 50mph, at a red light it NEVER changed for like 3 cycles so I gave up and made my left. Cop flys out and pulls me over after a bit claiming I was doing 70mph. I argued and told him flat out car cant go over 50, and ya know what I proved his arse wrong and won in court.

So just cause he/she says they have a clue and are trained doesnt mean theya re up to snuf.

flyboy1294
07-20-2010, 02:08 PM

Hate to break it to you, but it is illegal to ride on any state maintained highway in KY.

I'm also in a small town (>7000 people) and that law is not enforced. Most of the police around here have better things to do than fuss at the guy riding his Grizzly on the shoulder of the road. :rolleyes:

However, if any one of those officers sees fit to enforce it, he can at any time. It is state law.

Case in point, just because you're getting away with it doesn't mean its legal or o.k.

muddzilla94
07-20-2010, 03:05 PM
here is a copy of the law that says we can ride in the town of evarts.http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/189-00/515.pdf , im near the black mountain offroad park its in southeast ky, if anybody ever comes here pm me and i will meet up with you and show you the trails a little bit:devil:

ROTTY261
07-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Maybe I missed it but I didn't see a word about being able to ride on the roads in the town of Evarts?

muddzilla94
07-20-2010, 03:55 PM
that is for evarts...if your not legally allowed to ride in evarts then why do they have atv's riding on highway signs on the road when you first drive into town. not to be a a-hole but ive lived here for 16 years and i know its legal.

rbgnwa45
07-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Ohio law is retarded, the law just went out the window.

It's a cops duty to enforce the law, not guesstimate and enforce his/her own.

Perfect example - a car that doesn't go over 50.

flyboy1294
07-20-2010, 04:49 PM
here is a copy of the law that says we can ride in the town of evarts.http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/189-00/515.pdf , im near the black mountain offroad park its in southeast ky, if anybody ever comes here pm me and i will meet up with you and show you the trails a little bit:devil:

I read it and re-read it.

The main subsections that apply to ATV's go as follows:

1. you can ride on roads to cross and reach a point on the other side... 2/10th of a mile maximum

2. For agricultural purposes or snowplowing

And you have to have a valid drivers license to ride on the road for any reason in your city. I'm guessing you don't. If you did, you probably wouldn't be cruising around on a quad, now would you?

Assuming you have a sport atv, (based on your age and attitude) NONE of these rules apply to you except the first one, and personally I wouldn't even call that riding on the roads.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match here, but this one hits a little close to home. Take heart that in the next 20 years, when ATV's are shut down for good, you will have been a healthy contributer to it.

ROTTY261
07-20-2010, 04:59 PM
that is for evarts...if your not legally allowed to ride in evarts then why do they have atv's riding on highway signs on the road when you first drive into town. not to be a a-hole but ive lived here for 16 years and i know its legal.

I am not trying to argue or be an @$$ either but the law you posted has nothing in it about riding a quad on the streets of your town. If there are signs do they depict quads crossing the roads or does it say that quads ride on the roads?

I am only here trying to tell you to arm yourself with whatever you can to fight a cop that might have a hard-on for you. If there is written law about the quads being allowed on the road get a copy. If there are signs saying you can ride on the roads take a picture of them.

Newt327
07-20-2010, 07:19 PM
The page he posted was from Kentucky Revised Statute (KRS) which is Kentucky State Law not Evarts local laws and regulations. Now it does state in the KRS that a city or county may designate public roads in their jurisdiction in which off road vehicles are allowed to be operated on, and perhaps that is what the town of Evart has done. However, this is not the Evart laws and regulations, this again is the State of Kentucky’s Statute.

The state statute also states that where off road vehicles are allowed to be operated on public roads that the operator must have a license and the off road vehicle must have 2 tail lights. Do you have a license? Does your quad have 2 tail lights?

I’m not trying to be an a-hole either, but I think you can see that if the cop wanted to be an a-hole he has the ability to do so. I wouldn’t rock the boat. Get a quiet core if you can or stay away from the cops. Just my suggestion.

Oh, and the ruling in Ohio about a cop being able to give you a ticket based on observation I think is BS too, but thats why i left Ohio and took my tax dollars to Kentucky. Too much BS in Ohio.

muddzilla94
07-20-2010, 08:05 PM
if they made a quiet core for my exhaust i wouldve bought one already but they dont. and ill post pictures of the signs to show you all and ill find the exact document that states you can legally ride on the road in evarts.

ROTTY261
07-21-2010, 08:17 AM
I hope you don't think everyone is attacking you or trying to make you look like a fool. We are all simply trying to help you stay out of trouble and giving our opinions based on the information we have about what a cop might be able to do.

All of us were young kids once too and are just trying to give a different perspective about things from a broader view. If it is legal and the only thing you have to worry about is noise, than go get a db meter and check your quad, if it is legal go find the cop and tell/show him like someone else said, just do it respectfully and he will probably respect you right back for acting so mature.

muddzilla94
07-21-2010, 11:12 AM
thanks rotty261, i wish i could find a db tester so i could test it, but i guess ill have to wait until i can find one to show the cop what it is.