PDA

View Full Version : sport quads in the mud

honda98
07-18-2010, 10:17 PM
just got home from work and this guy was tellin me how he takes his predator muddin all the time. ive ridin in the mud beforewith my 400ex but never thought it was tht much fun cuz i spent most my time behind the quad or next to it pushin lol. anybody got some tips for goin muddin with sport quads or some pics of them goin muddin?

nosliw
07-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Obviously ride above the ruts and keep momentum.

Depends on what kind of mud, too. Most of the time I just ride a slow wheelie through it so I don't get it on my front tires.

One at a time through mud pits usually. Hit it as hard as you can if you want to have some muddy fun

guenther
07-18-2010, 11:00 PM
The mud is a blast. I would take the mud over a MX track any day. If you don't like your quad getting dirty then don't do it. Once you commit to a huge mud hole keep it pinned and don't let off. Plan on getting stuck a couple times because it happens to everyone. Try to straddle the ruts as much as possible. Roll off goggles are a must in my opinion. Spray cooking oil or WD40 on the underside and tops of the fenders before you go out as this will help keep mud from collecting and make it easier to wash. If you've done it right in the mud, plan on about an hour with a pressure washer to get it cleaned up right. Enjoy!

81-Honda-04
07-19-2010, 09:59 AM
This is my bike about two years ago after a rainy weekend up at the farm. it was a ton of fun and the only way for my to stay alive was riding a wheelie as long as i could. let me just say if you own any type of 4wheeler you gatta go mudding at least once.
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss206/BigtunaEX/Thanksgiving-Christmas08050.jpg
P.S i wish i woulda known that cooking oil trick because this took about an hour and a half to wash..

honda98
07-19-2010, 12:44 PM
ya i did have fun when i went muddin but just thought it was a pain to have to keep pushin it out. never knew whellien would help get through mud holes. i was lookin at tires and i think i might get a set of mudlites for the rear my stock ones are bald enough to be asphalt tires. and i dont have anything against gettin my quad dirty either. keepin a quad clean is like keepin a boat dry lol

a4guy
07-19-2010, 02:38 PM
I like mudding in the mud truck but the four wheeler I like to keep clean. I have a buddy that loves playing in the mud with his outlaw 500 so I have no choice but to play along some times. It would be better with reverse. Just plan on getting wet and muddy.

hocman123
07-19-2010, 02:47 PM
yea for mudding with sport quads u really need better then the stock tires just getting a good mud/soft dirt tire will make a huge differance in makeing it through mud holes

CJM
07-19-2010, 03:14 PM
I hate mudding on the quad, mud goes everywhere and is a true pain to get off.

rattler97
07-20-2010, 03:35 PM
I ride mine in mud all the time! The best tires I have used are the razr 2's even if you bottom out all you have to do is rock it one way or the other and your gonna climb out of it and you also dont have to keep it pinned to make it threw most mud holes.

440ex. ehhh!!
07-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by rattler97
I ride mine in mud all the time! The best tires I have used are the razr 2's even if you bottom out all you have to do is rock it one way or the other and your gonna climb out of it and you also dont have to keep it pinned to make it threw most mud holes.

Agreed! Except i use Holeshot H-D's on mine. I used to have mud lite's, they were junk in both mud and snow, but as for general riding, they were a HUGE improvement from the stock tires, especially for cornering.

sc400ex_rider
07-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Mudding will eat up your chain and sprockets and your brake pads. And pressure washing is bad because it peals your stickers and the high pressure will push past the bearing seals. and also if you P wash at the car wash the soap will dissolve your bearing grease.

440ex. ehhh!!
07-21-2010, 12:02 PM
well thats good to know. good thing i use a hose and then wash by hand

guenther
07-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
Mudding will eat up your chain and sprockets and your brake pads. And pressure washing is bad because it peals your stickers and the high pressure will push past the bearing seals. and also if you P wash at the car wash the soap will dissolve your bearing grease.

And smoking will kill you. And if you jump out of a plane with no parachute you will die. :D It's not as bad as you make it sound. Is it harder on the quad to run in the mud? You bet. But that's the price of getting dirty and having fun. You have to eventually replace worn or broken parts anyway if you actually ride your quad. I'd rather replace my bearing, or brake pads, or stickers (none of which I have had to do yet by the way) rather than letting my quad collect dust. Riding hard in different conditions is what they are made for.

hocman123
07-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by guenther
And smoking will kill you. And if you jump out of a plane with no parachute you will die. :D It's not as bad as you make it sound. Is it harder on the quad to run in the mud? You bet. But that's the price of getting dirty and having fun. You have to eventually replace worn or broken parts anyway if you actually ride your quad. I'd rather replace my bearing, or brake pads, or stickers (none of which I have had to do yet by the way) rather than letting my quad collect dust. Riding hard in different conditions is what they are made for.

x2