PDA

View Full Version : front shock leaking oil??

lil'redrocket
11-29-2001, 09:40 AM
After jumping my quad about 5ft high several times i noticed a oil stain on my shockwears. I took them off and rode some more noticing a small about of what seemed to be oil. I took my shocks off cleaned them and have noticed it no more. Also i was junping with the shocks set on the next to the softest adjustment. they bottomed out some times on a bad landing so I set them to the middle setting. i weigh about 140lbs. should they be set stiffer? Thanks for any advice.

11-29-2001, 10:43 AM
Well my friend I got bad news fer ya. If your shock is leaking oil then the seals are blown and you need a new one,,,been there done that. Stock shocks aren't cheap either,,,like $140 I think. IF you keep riding it, all the oil will be gone and your front end is going to ride like crap. To tell if it's really blown,,try to push the front of the quad down toward the shock that was leaking. You should hear the oil goin through the valves in the shock,,but you probably won't,,and don't get the noise mixed up with the shock that's good on the other side. But it sounds like you blew a seal and they can't be rebuilt,,sorry to piss on your parade..:(

PS.. I wouldn't jump anymore,,about 2 more rides and your shock will probably be empty of oil and riding will be dangerous.

Mity Mo
11-29-2001, 11:02 AM
I totally agree with Rico. You are asking for major trouble if you continue to ride with them blown. X-Mas is coming time to upgrade to some aftermarket shocks. Start looking on Ebay and you would be amazed on how cheap a set of Works shocks will go for. Just type 250r or 400ex in the search box. Good Luck

lil'redrocket
11-29-2001, 12:09 PM
How much is a new set of works tripple rate shocks w/o ressies (the cheaper ones)?

11-29-2001, 12:14 PM
Look on marcums page,,,I'm thinkin around $350.

oynot400
11-29-2001, 07:53 PM
I paid $275 for mine, used. Just be sure to get them to your weight setting.

Revin300EX
11-30-2001, 03:56 AM
Why did Honda switch from rebuildable 250r front shocks, to the crummy 400EX ones?

Did they just cheap out or what? :huh

NJ250Rrider
11-30-2001, 04:00 AM
250R's never had rebuildable fronts.

Revin300EX
11-30-2001, 04:39 AM
My friend has an '86 with stock fronts... They have been rebuilt once.

I know its possible for non-rebuildable shocks to be rebuilt, its just very hard, and usually not worth it. But his certainly LOOK rebuildable.

P.S. I see you live in Cherry Hill. I may be moving to Mount Holly in the summer, and bringing my quad. We'll have to hook up.