PDA

View Full Version : 400ex suspension: MX application...

flyboy1294
07-17-2010, 03:06 PM
I have what I feel is a decent setup on my ex (450r shocks, Laeger +2s), but today, I found a set of Works Tripple rates with remote rezzie's for cheap; cheap enough to were if I sold my 450r shocks for the going price I could buy the Works and get them rebuilt for my weight.

However here is the question; would this really be an improvement? I know 450r shocks are only really appropriate for beginners; but I have heard the Works aren't really that great either. I race D class, and don't forsee myself trying C with a 400.

So, would the Works be an improvements, or do I just need to stick with the 450r's until I can afford LT?

Thanks in advance

gtt416ex
07-17-2010, 04:37 PM
the 450R's work great for me with +2's, i have mine on a very soft setting and i rarely bottom out. I think if all you're gonna race is class D then you'll be fine with them, especially since you're gonna upgrade to LT.

flyboy1294
07-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Cool, next question is LT really that much of a difference from normal travel? And is it needed to be competitive in your opinion? (assuming you race..)

Also, anyone have any tips on adjusting this rear shock? I was able to get it to budge 4 months ago and tightened it some, but it needs to be stiffer still imo. I have tried using a hammer and screw driver, vise grips, channel locks, and a clutch holder tool, all to no avail. In a last ditch effort I tried some of that penetration oil. The jury is still out. But if anybody has any tips I'm all ears (eyes). EDIT: Penetration oil for the win!

gtt416ex
07-17-2010, 10:39 PM
LT gives you more sag and is more sensitive to compression and rebound adjustments. I don't race, i'm just going by what i've read alot about on here. So, i'm gonna say LT would be better for racing, but ST is good to start out on.

flyboy1294
07-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by gtt416ex
LT gives you more sag and is more sensitive to compression and rebound adjustments. I don't race, i'm just going by what i've read alot about on here. So, i'm gonna say LT would be better for racing, but ST is good to start out on.

I don't know if it's necessary or not. I don't even have the 450rs totally dailed in yet. I still need them revalved and resprung imo. We'll just see how it goes.

Thanks for all the help :macho

dustin_j
07-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by gtt416ex

If this is something you read, I wouldn't use this source anymore. LT is really just a longer shock. Look at the amount of shaft showing (shaft travel) on a standard length shock; then look at that of a "long travel" shock. They'll generally be the same. The adjustments are the same and work the same, irregardless of shock length.

If you change from a standard length shock setup (generally higher leverage ratio), to a lower leverage ratio setup, then you are upgrading some. With a lower leverage ratio you get more shaft travel and use softer springs and valving.

Sag should be set based on rear wheel travel. If extended and compressed lengths are correct (front and rear), then sag will be the same for all bikes. If a low leverage ratio is used, more shaft travel is used when the bike sags.

Hope this helps.

slightlybent47
07-19-2010, 12:20 PM
I here that the stock rear shock can be rebuilt and up graded to some extent.
I found a used elka and had it rebuilt and it works great, it took most of the body roll out in the corners and keeps it much flatter in the corners then the stock shock did.
I have 450 shocks on the front with Jd +2’s and it seems to work pretty good but I have never ridden one with LT so I can really compare the two.
It dose seem that those that have LT get away with things I can’t. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/aktion/action-smiley-083.gif

NacsMXer
07-19-2010, 01:38 PM
I went from a ST PEP ZPS setup to a LT PEP ZPS setup and I definitely like the LT better. It just seems less harsh in soaking up the impacts. "More plush" overall would be how I would describe the upgrade.