PDA

View Full Version : Tire Kickers....WTF

yellowzo3
07-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Man what is up with tire kickers... When I go to buy something I bring the cash and if the item is as described it's in the back of my truck on the trip home.

Just dealt with a guy who was checking out my bike for half an hour and then after we went through everything 5 times he says "yeah I'm just looking" .... Well thanks for wasting my time :rolleyes: ...Had some other people interested but he contacted me first and said he was coming. Lesson learned. Don't try to be a nice guy when selling. Next time I'll try to set it up so its like that move Rat Race and have everyone hauling *** to come get it at the same time lol

What are your guys experiences with the infamous tire kickers? I've had guys lowball me on stuff but at least they were offering to buy it :p

honda400ex2003
07-17-2010, 03:24 PM
The thing i hate more that that are the big talkers. they are getting everything but never actually buy any of it to back up their running mouth. but wasting time is dumb. man, those guys with the mouths that just yap. i wanna just stuff a sock in their mouths. steve

mxduner
07-17-2010, 03:27 PM
I hear ya there bro. I've been told to just leave the potential buyer to look at the sale item by theirself, and stay somewhat close by so they can ask questions. This makes them feel more comfortable. This is just what i've been told...

yellowzo3
07-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by mxduner
I hear ya there bro. I've been told to just leave the potential buyer to look at the sale item by theirself, and stay somewhat close by so they can ask questions. This makes them feel more comfortable. This is just what i've been told...

I've sold plenty of stuff before so I just let the guy ride it around, etc... He was asking a bunch of questions the whole time so I couldn't walk away lol... Oh well.

Honda, I know what you mean about the big talkers. I knew a few of those kinds of guys in high school and it gets old listening to them blabber on all the time. Always talking about their stuff being the best, or how they're going to lift their truck, etc. Most of the time they have no idea what they're talking about and they ALWAYS rag on other people's stuff.

eastside 400
07-17-2010, 06:11 PM
its basically what you have to deal with when you sell stuff on here all the time, i get non stop pm's with questions and everything is as described in the post and they say they are interested and then no response... or they ask if its still available and then never hear from them again. i dont get people.

yellowzo3
07-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Yeah online I get it all the time but that's expected... it's not so bad as you just send a pm back and if they don't respond you just forget about 'em... But when someone makes me wait for them to show up, looks at the item for 30 minutes, asks a million questions, and then says they're just looking? :cuss:

quadrider
07-17-2010, 06:32 PM
no offence to anyone here, but i some times find when looking to buy something and you get there to look at it in person and find that it is nothing like described, they say its " it's like brand new" and the tires are bald and full of plugs. or the guy selling it is a complete moron and has no idea what he is talking about (dealers) i usually say "yeah i was just looking" as a easy way out of it and just walk away.

CJM
07-17-2010, 06:35 PM
I find that its just the way it goes sometimes. I had tons of people look at junk Ive sold and tell me sorry but it wasnt what i was looking for-I make it a point to not sell junk if I can help it and if I do I make sure I tell the buyer about it!

As for online and stuff: I put out a request for some used but good shape 450r shocks awhile ago. People sent me pics of dirty, beat up stuff and wanted $$$ for them. now cmon if your gonna sell something for top dollar it better be all cleaned up..ya know?

yellowzo3
07-17-2010, 06:58 PM
I always put a ton of pictures in my ads and describe everything wrong with whatever it is I'm selling. So it's not like he was surprised when he was looking at it. I'm selling the bike cheap because it needs some work. He knew what he was coming to look at.

SRH
07-17-2010, 10:39 PM
buying and selling is a tough game, i wish craigslist was regulated by a staff instead of self, if it was cleaned up, it would be a powerhouse

yellowzo3
07-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by SRH
buying and selling is a tough game, i wish craigslist was regulated by a staff instead of self, if it was cleaned up, it would be a powerhouse

That's for sure! But I have a feeling if they had to hire a staff to weed through everything and all that then we would end up having to pay to put ads on there like ebay :ermm: ....It would make it a little better though.

Ghost-Rider
07-18-2010, 09:49 AM
I don't think it's a big issue if somebody doesn't want something. Maybe you have thought about something you want to buy, you've gotta go look at it at some point. You shouldn't be pressured into something you don't want. I don't mind people just looking but just tell me if you want it or not. No BS stories...

yellowzo3
07-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
I don't think it's a big issue if somebody doesn't want something. Maybe you have thought about something you want to buy, you've gotta go look at it at some point. You shouldn't be pressured into something you don't want. I don't mind people just looking but just tell me if you want it or not. No BS stories...

Well he made me wait all morning and never showed.. So he rescheduled to the afternoon. A sales a sale so I just shrugged it off and waited for him. Then he wasted my time only to tell me he's just looking. I don't mind if the guy has a legit reason for not wanting my stuff once he comes and looks at it. But everything was as described and he just didn't want to buy anything... just browse.

I told him I had other people interested but he contacted me first so he had first dibs. He assured me he was coming to look at it. He probably just wanted a free test ride so he came and rode mine. So I potentially threw away a sale to try and give this guy the benefit of the doubt.

I try to trust that potential buyers are stand up guys but I guess from now on when I deal through craigslist its going to be every man for himself. :p

mjc597
07-18-2010, 11:05 AM
i'm just like you. when i want something, i get the money together and start looking and calling around. and 90% of the time,when i show up and look something over,as long as it was as described over the phone and i like what i see. it comes home with me. i always make a point to ask the owner on the phone 100 different questions,so when i get there i know what to expect..

yellowzo3
07-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by mjc597
i'm just like you. when i want something, i get the money together and start looking and calling around. and 90% of the time,when i show up and look something over,as long as it was as described over the phone and i like what i see. it comes home with me. i always make a point to ask the owner on the phone 100 different questions,so when i get there i know what to expect..

That's how it should be! A few guys I've sold to have asked me tons of questions through emails and phone. When they showed up they checked everything over real quick, handed over the money, and that was that. Most of these guys were pretty cool and we were able to shoot the breeze about riding spots and stuff for a few minutes as well. It's a pleasure dealing with those kinds of guys. If people ever need additional pictures and stuff I can take them and email them over before they drive all the way out.

Whenever I drive out to buy something I usually already have all my questions answered and know exactly what I'm looking at. It saves both the buyer and seller time in the long run and also helps you figure out whether or not the seller knows what they're talking about.

I think people on forums like these have the right idea most of the time. They can do their research on a quad right on the site, check out similar bikes for sale, pm questions or give sellers a call, and work out a deal online. Then all they have to do is swing by and pick it up (doesn't always work out that way, but you know what I mean).

I tried to mention a few forums and message boards to this guy to see if he knew what I was talking about and if he did any research on similar bikes but he had no idea what I was talking about. I couldn't even mention product names or anything because he didn't know what I meant. Basically all I could do was watch him touch every part and ride it around. He would just ask the same questions over and over. After a while it became obvious he was clueless and just at my house for a free test ride.

slightlybent47
07-18-2010, 02:25 PM
I sold a 85 250r and the guy came by and looked at it and asked a few questions, then his little brother (all of his 75 lbs) gave it one kick and she started right up. he handed me cash and loaded it right up.

I sold some pa gear and everyone tried to ju me down on stuff I had priced to go.
I told them to make sure the door didn’t hit him on the way out and they caught up the cash.

It just comes with the territory I guess.http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/aktion/action-smiley-085.gif

06 Honda 450R
07-19-2010, 12:08 AM
i have a buddy that found a quad 6 hours away and asked the dude a bunch of questions about it... he went down there and the owner was clueless about it. It was a fully built mx quad with a built motor with a 14 to 1 piston btw... balljoints and bearings were terrible, best of it was my buddy asked him what fuel he was runnin, the dude said the cheap stuff lol. my buddy looked at him weird and asked him to ride it, the dude said sure and he fired it up and rode it. it ran like **** and the shocks were blown. my buddy told him he was gonna go eat and think about it, he left and never went back:D

krt400ex
07-19-2010, 02:24 PM
the worst is when they go "yea i'll come pick it up in a couple days" and then never call you or show up and dont answer their phone calls. that pisses me off. if you dont have the money then dont come look. or if its not what you were looking for then be forward about it.

fastredrider44
07-19-2010, 02:48 PM
When I sold my CR, I had a guy come to my house that I personally knew beforehand, so I let him ride my bike. After a 15 minute joyride, he told me he sure wished he had the cash to buy it. I haven't talked to him since. Sometimes you get stuck when you go look at something and have to make an excuse or just say thank you for your time, I'm sorry it just isn't what I was looking for.

My buddy and I drove 8 hours one way to look at a truck he found on ebay. Truck was a complete pile. He told the guy his concerns, he wouldn't come off price enough, and 8 hours home we went without the truck.

flyboy1294
07-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44

My buddy and I drove 8 hours one way to look at a truck he found on ebay. Truck was a complete pile. He told the guy his concerns, he wouldn't come off price enough, and 8 hours home we went without the truck.

Had a similar experiance. My little brother was getting into quads a few years back. He had a Raptor 250, but was growing and needed something bigger. We had a guy contact us via Craigslist saying he would be happy to trade. He sent us pictures of a nice looking z400 with lots of aftermarket.

We jumped in the truck and headed down to Georgia the next day. It was about a 10 hour drive one way. On the way down he called us and said "the starter just went out dude, I'll throw in a few buck to get it fixed" I thought no big deal I can fix a starter. In hind-sight that should've been a huge red flag, but we had been driving for 4 hours, my bro was 13 and new to the sport, so I didn't want to discourage him.

Anyway, got down there, the cases had been split over and over, there was RTV all over the place. The radiator had a huge hole in it, and the axle was the more bent than anything I have ever seen before. He would only admit to it have a 'bad starter.' I told him we would give him the Raptor, but he'd need to give us the Z and $800. He agreed, which sorta made me realize this thing probably had way more hiding problems. So we loaded up and took the Raptor back home 10 hours...

from now on, someone wants to trade, they meet me half way. Keeps people from bringing total ****.

jjv101
07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
usually when im buying something its 3-6 hrs away...and if im driving that far, i am not kicking tires. Only way it doesnt come home is if its not described.

right now im in the process of figuring out how ot get down to Uniontown PA to look at a bike lol

i had 4 ppl back out on my one LTR i was trying to sell, dude even shook my hand and said ill be back with the money tomorrow...

slightlybent47
07-19-2010, 03:49 PM
I never hold anything with out a deposit (non refundable deposit) that will weed out the lookie lews. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/aktion/action-smiley-082.gif

YOURADHERE
07-19-2010, 04:11 PM
I have to laugh at a buddy of mine who deals with this a bit. Hes bought several worn/broken/blown atvs/dirtbikes/tires/wheels/etc and flipped them on Craigslist...some of the questions he gets are hilarious. He gets that from both ends though. His favorite people to buy broken stuff from is the ones that have NO CLUE. He just picked up an 05 400EX for $400 that, as per the seller, "just quit running". No smoke, no tapping, no noise, nothing. Said he parked it and the next day it wouldnt start. So he and his dad tore the top end down and had no clue what to do. From inspecting all the parts it looks like the carb had some trash in it. :rolleyes:

If Im buying something, Im serious about it. 2 weeks ago I found an XS650 chopper I wanted 4 hours away. Talked to the guy and he said he had someone coming the next afternoon to buy it...I jumped in the truck that night and was sitting in his driveway at 7am. I got my XS, he got his $$, and the other guy had a crappy day. :D

mx Eli
07-19-2010, 10:26 PM
^^^^^^^^^ thats a good one

trx310R#24
07-19-2010, 11:45 PM
last year i flipped alot of bikes on craigs...

i got quads that needed nothing but a tune up for $150 dirt bikes for $100...

lol one 1999 warrior 350 i got for 100 the guy thought the motor was locked... it was in reverse.. =p i replaced the valves and that just so i could say they are new.. lol ill prob sell it for like 1800... just got to put it together.. =p iv been to busy..

07-20-2010, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by YOURADHERE
I jumped in the truck that night and was sitting in his driveway at 7am. I got my XS, he got his $$, and the other guy had a crappy day. :D

Sounds just the same as when we bought my ladies 426EX. I called the guy and told him we wanted to come look at it, he said there was a guy coming in an hour... I asked for his address and I'd be there in 15 min. As we were loading it up in the truck the other guy rolled up... Needless to say he didn't look so happy. :D

YOURADHERE
07-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Yea the guy actually called while I was loading it up to let the guy know he was about to leave. He also had to drive from about 5 hours away, so atleast he knew before he ever left. That XS is about to get some work...I need to start a thread for it.

krt400ex
07-22-2010, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by YFZ-DunerUtah
Sounds just the same as when we bought my ladies 426EX. I called the guy and told him we wanted to come look at it, he said there was a guy coming in an hour... I asked for his address and I'd be there in 15 min. As we were loading it up in the truck the other guy rolled up... Needless to say he didn't look so happy. :D

this kind of stuff i never do to a buyer. i dont find it fair and it would piss me off if someone did it to me. especially if i had to drive to get there. if i get calls and have a time set up for someone to look at a machine, i'll tell whoever calls after that i will get back to them to let them know if the machine has sold or is still available.

YOURADHERE
07-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by YOURADHERE
I have to laugh at a buddy of mine who deals with this a bit. Hes bought several worn/broken/blown atvs/dirtbikes/tires/wheels/etc and flipped them on Craigslist...some of the questions he gets are hilarious. He gets that from both ends though. His favorite people to buy broken stuff from is the ones that have NO CLUE. He just picked up an 05 400EX for $400 that, as per the seller, "just quit running". No smoke, no tapping, no noise, nothing. Said he parked it and the next day it wouldnt start. So he and his dad tore the top end down and had no clue what to do. From inspecting all the parts it looks like the carb had some trash in it. :rolleyes:

So to update this...my buddy put the 400EX back together using ONLY the parts that came with it....it fired up right away without a hiccup. So he bought a running 400EX for $400....time to flip it. :D