PDA

View Full Version : ct 350pv

89rwfo
07-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Does anyone have any positive or negative thing about this setup. I am thinking of buying one and would like to hear from someone that hat owned one 330 or the 350
Thanks

addictedtomud
07-16-2010, 08:23 PM
I have nothing but good things to say about my CT350pv. Reliable, not too hard to start, plenty of torque and revs high. I would only consider CT and LED /LRD for a motor these days. BTW I have had PSI330pv, ESR310pv, PC2000 265pv

machwon
07-17-2010, 07:26 AM
What type of riding or racing do you plan on doing? IM0 they are not worth the extra money. Maybe if you are a woodsracer, the power does come on at 5500 rpm, most r's don't kick until 6500. But who wants to lug a 2 stroke? A non pv 350 will make a lot more power on top end...If I owned a 350 pv I would pin the pv wide open and port it. Based on my engine builds and dyno runs of both versions.

hondamancbr03
07-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by machwon
What type of riding or racing do you plan on doing? IM0 they are not worth the extra money. Maybe if you are a woodsracer, the power does come on at 5500 rpm, most r's don't kick until 6500. But who wants to lug a 2 stroke? A non pv 350 will make a lot more power on top end...If I owned a 350 pv I would pin the pv wide open and port it. Based on my engine builds and dyno runs of both versions. . A PV motor makes the same hp on top as a non-pv motor running the same port job. The PV motor will retain some of the bottom end where the non-pv motor will not. Why do you think 500gp race bikes run PV motors? Or every two stroke dirt bike right before they stop making them?

wilkin250r
07-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by hondamancbr03
. A PV motor makes the same hp on top as a non-pv motor running the same port job. The PV motor will retain some of the bottom end where the non-pv motor will not.

Yes, and no.

You are correct in theory, but think about the practical applications.

High-rev 2-strokes are very difficult to ride, and very tiring, plus traction issues. So most anybody sacrifices top-end horsepower numbers for the midrange numbers they need for ridability.

But if you get a low-mid boost with the powervalve, you can port the engine for higher revs, and let the powervavle give you the midrange that you need for your application.

machwon
07-18-2010, 12:12 PM
If the cylinders were made right, yes they would be the bomb. The 265 versions are the only ones done right. Otherwise they just add to the bore of the 265 motor...

The 350 PV's I've had on my dyno never put down more than 48 HP. I tell all my customers ditch the valve, do a regular 350 with a 4mm stroke and I'll guarantee you over 60 HP. It's only difficult to ride in tight woods and trails. It absolutely will rule at the dunes, most guys just don't know how to put all the power to ground effectively.

hondamancbr03
07-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Yes, and no.

You are correct in theory, but think about the practical applications.

High-rev 2-strokes are very difficult to ride, and very tiring, plus traction issues. So most anybody sacrifices top-end horsepower numbers for the midrange numbers they need for ridability.

But if you get a low-mid boost with the powervalve, you can port the engine for higher revs, and let the powervavle give you the midrange that you need for your application.

In theory? I clearly pointed out that IF both cylinders are ported the same your HP will be the same at the top. I also pointed out that the PV will retain SOME (not all) of the bottom/mid because for a top end motor you will be adjusting the transfers which the PV can not correct. When porting a PV motor you usually keep the transfers within reason otherwise you wasted your money on the PV. If you're 300ft light to light person than PV is a waste of money in "my opinion".
When making my point practical application had nothing to do with pointing out that a PV motor and non-pv motor can make the same hp on top if equally ported.

The only possible way a PV motor will not make as much hp is if the exhaust is cut so aggressively high that the PV blade can not move completely out of the way....Never seen that be an issue.

Please provide some back ground on your opinion, you have me curious as to why or how you have come to this conclusion.

My 350PV motor comes from Arlen at LED...He put this motor set up in the low 60's until i lowered the compression. If you are only getting 48 out of 350PV then i would like to know the set upi and port timing you put together. Those motors even with medium port work can be in the low 50's easily.