PDA

View Full Version : another jetting question

eotrx400ex
07-15-2010, 09:27 PM
having to rejet after rebuild.want to see if i'm on the right track.
setting i had; 42 pilot 150 main 4th pos. down on needle.

at around 1/8-1/4 steady throttle while riding i get a sputtering out of the exhaust. not really a back fire.

i moved the clip to the 3rd pos. down from top and installed a 55 pilot..which realisticly is way to high of a jump..WILL be putting a 45 in..dealer only had 55-up so was currious to what differance i'd see.

an it became worse AND after letting off throttle it takes a bit to idle down now..I'm guessing this is due to the 55 pilot i installed??

i've also adjusted the A/F screew 1/4 turns at a time and have seen NO difference with idle...something pluged with dirt maybe?

i'm wanting to know if i'm seeing a RICH condition with the sputtering out the exhaust and moving the clip towards the top of the needle LEANs it correct???

honda400ex2003
07-15-2010, 09:35 PM
ill give my input but you might as well wait till john gives his almighty jetting post HEHE :p that will have you fixed up. the 55 is way too big so you def can tell that with it dying when you let off the gas. the needle will lean out with the clip being raised up to the top so the second will be leaner than the third. with the 55 you would be around 1 turn out if that. lol. probably gonna have to go bigger on the main to say at least a 160. a 150 is way too lean for a 416. just my .02 though, could be wrong lol. I would say that a 165-170 would be pretty close if you are 1500-3000 a 175 would do pretty good at sea level. take it or leave it :D ;) :blah: steve

honda400ex2003
07-15-2010, 09:40 PM
ill save him the paste :/

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=441780

it will work to a point to get you close but i am still not sure about having to go that far to find out how it is running. youll def be over a 170 with that method after you go down 2 sizes from a sputter. steve

eotrx400ex
07-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
ill give my input but you might as well wait till john gives his almighty jetting post HEHE :p that will have you fixed up. the 55 is way too big so you def can tell that with it dying when you let off the gas. the needle will lean out with the clip being raised up to the top so the second will be leaner than the third. with the 55 you would be around 1 turn out if that. lol. probably gonna have to go bigger on the main to say at least a 160. a 150 is way too lean for a 416. just my .02 though, could be wrong lol. I would say that a 165-170 would be pretty close if you are 1500-3000 a 175 would do pretty good at sea level. take it or leave it :D ;) :blah: steve lol ok so the 55 being in could also play a role in the sputter at that throttle position?and i set it 2.25 out...lol so ya makes since now why it wants to die no matter how high the idle set. i have A 152 Main in now. but i'll try larger

honda400ex2003
07-15-2010, 09:57 PM
LOL i cant even believe you would waste money on something that big for a 38mm carb :p that is awesome. my vote goes to fixing that first before you even waste any time trying to "tune" a 55 pilot. that is good man, sorry but i gotta laugh. you are the first person i have seen to put a 55 in a stock carb since i have been on here. that is just too big for anything to run. I cant believe you even get it started up. I bet you dont have to use the choke now or even pump the throttle. :D on that note i am going to bed. lol steve

JOHNDOE83
07-15-2010, 11:22 PM
I deffinetly agree with steve, Id change the pilot to a 40 or 42 probly a 42 being that the choke was removed, then put the needle in the middle position, I have a 440 with a 450r carb and only have a 50 pilot, and I dont think I even need that.

eotrx400ex
07-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
LOL i cant even believe you would waste money on something that big for a 38mm carb :p that is awesome. my vote goes to fixing that first before you even waste any time trying to "tune" a 55 pilot. that is good man, sorry but i gotta laugh. you are the first person i have seen to put a 55 in a stock carb since i have been on here. that is just too big for anything to run. I cant believe you even get it started up. I bet you dont have to use the choke now or even pump the throttle. :D on that note i am going to bed. lol steve lol no worries. i'm curious by nature an for only 3 bucks i learned how a wheeler runs with to big of a pilot jet. plus my local dealer will swap as long as not damaged.

eotrx400ex
07-16-2010, 05:59 PM
took out the A/F screw an cleaned all the orfice's with carb cleaner i put a 45 pilot in set the A/F at 2 turns out kept the clip 3rd down from top and have the 152 main in. much better though i'm going with your advice (honda400ex2003) an putting a 160-165 main in. its cutting out near 3/4-wfo. also gonna tune the A/F screw a bit to see if i can gain some with that