PDA

View Full Version : Drill and Pin Hubs

450R NOOB
07-15-2010, 06:05 PM
My hubs are fully stripped out and the axle is half stripped out. I was wondering if drilling a hole through the hub and axle and putting a pin in would hurt anything or even work? I don't want to pay $60 on new hubs and risk messing them up. An axle is definetly out of my budget right now so those are the only options I can think of other than welding the hubs on.

eastside 400
07-15-2010, 06:09 PM
dont weld the hubs on, you could possibly do what you said but i would be afraid of the pin comming out while riding, could make the quad pull right off the track or trail into a tree or something.

MX450
07-15-2010, 08:40 PM
i wouldnt risk it.

just save up and get an ebay axle and hubs, shouldnt be too much

lonnie1977
07-15-2010, 09:00 PM
The durablue X-33 is a pin drive hub. I just sold mine. Held up great for 2 years. It had a 3/8" hole throught the hub and shaft with a nut and bolt holding it on. I would only have a machine shop do the work though. You would need two flat areas on the hub also for the mating surface of the bolt. Its Ghetto to the MAX to do your self but hey if ya really want to ride. Best pic I have of the X-33 showing the bolt.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/lonnie1977/IMG_1459.jpg

curryd
07-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Call up for a take off. Cheap way. I deal with East Coast ATV. They are in Pennslyvania. 610-282-0369 is the phone number. I bought a stock take-off and paid like $125. or close to it. I bet he has one and the hubs for cheap price.

450R NOOB
07-17-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm just worried about weakening the axle with the hole and ruining it too if I could just get new hubs but thats my call. Whats a take off? I didn't see anything on their site about it but it sounds good. Thats where I got my bearing carrier and I was very satisfied with the quality of their service and parts.

TCracin440ex
07-17-2010, 09:21 PM
if your hub is stripped the most likely your axle is stripped too, best thing to do is save up and buy a used stock axle w/ hubs. or you could very well buy new hubs and take your axle to a machine shop and have the axle re splined. either way i wouldnt just buy new hubs and slap on the axle because if the splines on the axle are wore your just going to be pissing your money away because u will strip the new hubs out if the axle is stripped as well.

curryd
07-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by 450R NOOB
I'm just worried about weakening the axle with the hole and ruining it too if I could just get new hubs but thats my call. Whats a take off? I didn't see anything on their site about it but it sounds good. Thats where I got my bearing carrier and I was very satisfied with the quality of their service and parts.

East Coast ATV deals with a lot of racers. Take-offs are brand new parts that they replace with aftermarket ones for racers. If anyone is running mx, then the axle, a - arms, and lots of other parts are replaced even before machine is rode at all. Give Dave a call. If he doesn't have any, I would be completely shocked. Website isn't very informative, I agree. A+ quality on even used parts if he has no new take-offs.