PDA

View Full Version : little kids on quads

finsteratv
07-15-2010, 05:18 PM
at what point do you think a quad is to big for a little kid? its crazy ive seen little ones cruzin some back roads and trails on recons,trail blazers,250ex,and a bunch of others with there parents and i just think how do they ride that even some what safely and controllably? :huh :confused:

BlaineKaiser450
07-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Well i got a Trx250x at 7 and a 450r at 12, never once was either too much quad for me. It all depends on the kids maturity. I know 7 year olds that I would trust with a 450, and 30 year olds who I wouldn't trust with a 90

mx Eli
07-15-2010, 06:33 PM
that is very true ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I rode a 400ex when I was 10 and a raptor 700 at 12 then I got my 450r at 13 and now I'm 14 and getting a built 450r

but I'm also 5'11 so it depends on his size to

I really like the old saying if you can start it you can ride it but with these e-starts thats out the window:devil:

flyboy1294
07-15-2010, 06:49 PM
I agree maturity does play a role, but you guys got to remember the weight factor. I'm 140lbs and I have trouble slinging my 400 around sometimes. If I were even 20lbs less I doubt I could control it well at all in a high speed turn.

k4f5x0r
07-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Rode a 300ex from age 8ish on. I'll admit that was too young for the quad, and i found that out when i took a turn too fast and it rolled and there was no chance of me saving it at 70~ pounds. But that was me be a little immature punk showing off. If the kid's mature, his age shouldn't restrict him/her at all.

I've been riding my 450 since i was 14 about to be 15. I rode cautious knowing that i could kill myself on the damn thing but i was still able to have plenty of fun. Now at 16, 5'8" and 150ish pounds, i can manhandle the damn thing. Its all in practice and maturity really.

mx Eli
07-15-2010, 09:19 PM
yea I'm 5'11 130 and I can't whip my 450r out pritty good but any 450 is a hand full

I have a buddy who's 15 and he has a built yzf 450 hybrid and that kinda scare's me but I trust him not to go over his riding ability and not run into me. and I'm getting a built 450r this weekend so it's all about maturity and skill level.

finsteratv
07-15-2010, 09:34 PM
yeah you guys all prove good points. my 300 might not be much but i can sling it around/through anything

XCRacer236
07-15-2010, 10:48 PM
a 16 year old kid left the race on a stretcher this weekend because he rode a small utility in a race that was not meant to race, and he didnt understand his or the machines limits. perfect example

the most important factor is maturity! End of story.

Lasher
07-16-2010, 09:47 AM
First thing...is can the kids fit on the quad period. Rule for my kids...you must have your feet on the pegs, hands on the handle bars and you crotch must be off the seat. Can't reach...can't ride.

The the grey area...can the kid (or adult) handle the machine. My 7 year old rides a 90cc quad around the yard and may hit a practice track later this year. But his throttle is turned all the way down. He needs to learn to "respect" the quad and not treat it like a battery powered fisher price quad. WOT or full brakes...sorry that tells me you are not ready yet. When can a kid handle the machine...that is up the parents to decide...too bad some parents are just plain idiots.

wilkin250r
07-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Some parents are idiotic, too (understatment of the year).

I've seen a kid of 12, riding a 250EX, tell his mother that he wants a bigger quad because his isn't powerful enough, he was outgrowing it. And I NEVER saw this kid have all 4 wheels off the ground, never powered through whoops, there was NO indication that his riding ability was beyond the 250EX.

But his mother agreed! They sold the 250EX and bought a 400EX the next weekend?!?:huh

mx Eli
07-16-2010, 11:13 AM
^^^^^this perant needs a slap in the face

finsteratv
07-16-2010, 01:49 PM
yeah they do need a slap in the face! id buy that kid a new quad once he could ride the piss out of that 250ex

fastredrider44
07-16-2010, 02:08 PM
My first fourwheeler was a 1987 Fourtrax 250 (utility). I was mature enough at 7 that it wasn't a problem. I probably weighed less than 70 pounds. It was always the dirtbikes that I had problems with. I couldn't touch the ground, but I'd steal dad's bikes and ride them anyway. It was fun til I had to stop.:( Maturity and skill go a long way when you see a little one riding a bigger bike than they need.

eastcoastpro20
07-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
yeah they do need a slap in the face! id buy that kid a new quad once he could ride the piss out of that 250ex

thats how i stepped up i raced against 450's on a 250 and my dad said i couldnt get nuthin bigger till i rode the hell oughta the 250 once i did tht i hadda get a 400 and he said no 450 till i prove im ridin hard enough to push the 400 past its limit. now im on a built 450 by no means was any of it handed to me. and racin on a stock 250 and 400 definately helped too teach me how to ride hard.

ROTTY261
07-19-2010, 12:29 PM
I have five kids (2, 7, 8, 10, and 10), all of them have quads. The 2 year old has a predator 50 she hasn't got to try to ride alone yet, everyone else is on polaris 90s (2 two strokes and 2 four strokes).

All of the kids can ride the quads fast, but not all of them can ride them fast through turns, whoops, jumps, etc. The two 10 year olds are at the limit of their quads so they will be moving up soon. I have put them on our Z400 to learn the clutch in first gear only and they are doing fine with it. So they may very well go to the 400 and I might dial the throttle down until they get them figured out better.

I am an ASI atv instructor and cannot teach the safety class (which Oregon is starting to require) to a kid on a quad bigger than what the manufacturers recommend. For example I cannot teach a 12 year old on a 400. But Oregon law states that if a kid can pass the rider fit test they can ride.

Look at these rules and check the link, how many kids can actually meet all of these requirements on a quad they can already ride?

Rider Fit

A Class I operator (quad rider), under the age of 16, must meet all the following minimum physical size requirements (Rider Fit) in relationship to the vehicle:

Brake reach Leg length & grip reach Handle bar turning reach

Brake Reach: With hands placed in the normal operating position and fingers straight out, the first joint (from the tip) of the middle finger will extend beyond the brake lever and clutch.

Leg Length: While sitting and with their feet on the pegs, the knee must be bent at least 45 degrees.

Grip Reach: While sitting upright on the quad with hands on the handle bars and not leaning forward, there must be a distinct angle between the upper arm and the forearm, and;
The operator must be able to turn the handle bars from lock to lock while maintaining grip on the handle bars and maintaining throttle and brake control.

Disabled operators are allowed to use prosthetic devices or modified or adaptive equipment to achieve rider fit.

http://www.oregonohv.org/OPRD/ATV/Rider_fit.shtml

Ichoptop
07-19-2010, 03:26 PM
the rule in my family is, if you arent big enough or strong enough to tip it on its tail or push it off you if you roll it then you have no buisness on it.

416exfreak
07-19-2010, 05:39 PM
I started on a Bayou 220 when I was 8.. rode the piss out of it till I was 12, and got my 400.

I rode the 400 for about a year as a 416, then turned it into a 440 and its kept me satisfied all these years. Im 18 now, and it still scares me on occasion.

Im actually thinking about selling it (would do it if someone had the right monetary figure) bc I just dont have as much fun as I used to. All I think about now is going back to the ER..

sunco
07-19-2010, 05:58 PM
My five year old is riding the Honda 90 quad. its in the little kids track section at BPG. she rides in 2nd gear. Controls the steering, throttle & brakes. She also rides w/ mx boots, gear, helmet, gloves & chest protector. I taught her all the items she needs to know about her quad. The only thing is she is not strong enough to pull out the kill switch & she can't shift w/ the boots. Oh yeah & she can't start - her arms are to short & not strong enough anyway. I'm impressed - its great to see her gas it, go around the trees ................ With the correct setting you'll have good results

Responsible parenting & a responsible child = a lifetime of memories :macho

ROTTY261
07-20-2010, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by sunco
My five year old is riding the Honda 90 quad. its in the little kids track section at BPG. she rides in 2nd gear. Controls the steering, throttle & brakes. She also rides w/ mx boots, gear, helmet, gloves & chest protector. I taught her all the items she needs to know about her quad. The only thing is she is not strong enough to pull out the kill switch & she can't shift w/ the boots. Oh yeah & she can't start - her arms are to short & not strong enough anyway. I'm impressed - its great to see her gas it, go around the trees ................ With the correct setting you'll have good results

Responsible parenting & a responsible child = a lifetime of memories :macho

Do not take this the wrong way I just wanted to use your picture as an example. By Oregon law this quad is to big for your kid. She would fail the Rider Fit test right away because her legs are not bent at a 45 degree angle or more.

I agree with you that a responsible and KNOWLEDGEABLE parent with a responsible child is the right mix to safely ride. I know as a youngster I couldn't even touch both the pegs on my 110 three wheeler, but my dad armed me with knowledge and gave me safety gear which kept me in good shape.

People need to get smart about quads/dirtbikes before they decide what to put their kids on. Then they need to monitor their progress and either take some throttle/power away or slowly give them more depending on performance.

Zakradu398
07-20-2010, 07:46 AM
My friend started riding his banshee at 10 and I told him then if he could start my 450 he could ride it. My damn bike started but he did good :p

sunco
07-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Yeah - its all good by me. the MFG label says u have to be a certain age..........

What I do know is that as a family we've had some wonderful times with quads. Its more than just riding, its being together.............. The kids r older so our 17 yr old now has moved on to the car scene & skateboarding. The 16 year old (Flyboy 62) is just as bad as me - we r way deep into riding. The 13 girl loves to ride as does the 5 yr old. That picture was this July 4th.

Flyboy is at Dream Camp now with Wimmer, Natalie & Dunk, I'm headed up there on Thursday to watch & meet. Then ride on Friday. Just hope I leave the wife enough $ so I can stay till Sunday :devil:

IN GOD WE TRUST

dehner47
07-20-2010, 11:37 AM
i started when i was 3 on a suzuki 50. now 30 yrs old and im still at it. been racing and riding for 26 years. why have i been at it so long?? cause my parents were responsible enough to know how big of a bike to get for a certain age threw out my career.. i see these lil kids ripping on big quads all the time it it actually makes me nervous. cause yes a young buck can ride a 450 all day and go pretty damn fast. but what is that 13 yr old kid who weights a whopping 125-135lbs with full gear on gonna do when that monster gets a lil sketchy and he or she has to man handle the bike back under him or her?? its gonna get ungly thats whats gonna happen. and it will all come back toi the quad guys being irresposible fools like we always are viewed to the media and the average person.

yes it all comes down to being mature ans responsible and good parenting. i agree with all that. but no resposiblity or maturity will help a kid who can lift 100lbs handle a 450 once it gets a lil sketchy. skillz are one thing, man handling is a whole other ball game when it comes to racing and riding. a 13yr old can have skillz, but most 13 yr olds cand man handle a full race quad when its sideways..

HondaRacing83
07-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by dehner47
i started when i was 3 on a suzuki 50. now 30 yrs old and im still at it. been racing and riding for 26 years. why have i been at it so long?? cause my parents were responsible enough to know how big of a bike to get for a certain age threw out my career.. i see these lil kids ripping on big quads all the time it it actually makes me nervous. cause yes a young buck can ride a 450 all day and go pretty damn fast. but what is that 13 yr old kid who weights a whopping 125-135lbs with full gear on gonna do when that monster gets a lil sketchy and he or she has to man handle the bike back under him or her?? its gonna get ungly thats whats gonna happen. and it will all come back toi the quad guys being irresposible fools like we always are viewed to the media and the average person.

yes it all comes down to being mature ans responsible and good parenting. i agree with all that. but no resposiblity or maturity will help a kid who can lift 100lbs handle a 450 once it gets a lil sketchy. skillz are one thing, man handling is a whole other ball game when it comes to racing and riding. a 13yr old can have skillz, but most 13 yr olds cand man handle a full race quad when its sideways.. i can somewhat relate-when iwas 3 i got a polaris 50,when i was like 9 i got a chinese 110(lasted 2 weeks till it was destroyed)then got a bayou 300 and it lasted bout a month-then got my trusty 250ex and one time i was drifting around a corner and i caught a rock and my quad started to flip,so i put my foot down held it back and pushed it down and saved my quad and quite possibley me-the same thing happened to me on my raptor 250,the exact same thing,now my 400ex is a bit more of a handfull,but i need to get used to it,i could just whip my raptor 250 around in the air but this is a bit harder on my 400 but i can still whip her around=)