PDA

View Full Version : Ran into a problem changing bearing

Ryan'07400ex
07-14-2010, 09:12 PM
EDIT: I heard a strange noise, my singarm was heating u to hot to touch after 5 minutes of riding, my chain got really loose all of a sudden, and when I moved my axle back and forth it felt loose, SO I KNEW I NEEDED BEARINGS. When I finally got the carrier out i noticed one bearing was mostly "dust" with all the balls gone and the other side was fine. Anyway I think my sprocket hub is messed up where that messed up bearing ate away at it. I think my carrier is still fine though.I was wondering how much to expect to pay for another hub or if i should just buy an aftermarket axle.

I can't get the hub thats on there right now to come off and i've tried heating it up and beating it with a mini sledge hammer ha

You may not be able to tell in the pic but it isn't like its supposed to be haha

Ryan'07400ex
07-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Part of the bearing left in the carrier.

440ex. ehhh!!
07-14-2010, 09:21 PM
yea, your not supposed to separate the sprocket hub from the axle, idk, i guess they are put together when hot or something so each hub will only fit that axle perfectly. but i have looked before for one on ebay and you cant get them separated.
just buy a used axle off ebay or somthing that has the sprocket hub with it.

i guess thats why you hear "if it aint broke, don't fix it"
and just hearing an unusual noise in the back could be anything, rather then tearing apart your back end, just try and wiggle the axle front to back and left to right. if theres no play, your good.
just my $0.02
Josh

a4guy
07-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Had the same issue with the bearing in the carrier. One came right out and the other fell apart as soon as I pulled the axle out. I had to cut it out with a dremal.

jcs003
07-15-2010, 01:20 AM
i always check and grease my pivot and carrier bearings about every 30 hours or so.

Ryan'07400ex
07-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by 440ex. ehhh!!
and just hearing an unusual noise in the back could be anything, rather then tearing apart your back end, just try and wiggle the axle front to back and left to right. if theres no play, your good.
just my $0.02
Josh

I'm not sure what you mean considering it is broke haha i did wiggle the back end, I was wiggling, I got really lucky that I did check it or I'd be buying a carrier soon to. If you read the first post it said one bearing wasn't really there anymore and while it was breaking down it ate away at that hub where it and the new seal on the carrier will be rubbing. (I edited my first post)

I honestly think that the hub is supposed to come off because it looks like it has another snap ring and plus it has those splines and you can buy aftermarket hubs by themselves (however that could be just for aftermarket axles)

Thanks for the replys though.

Ok, I guess I will just buy a new g-force axle but i am wondering if I will have to buy anything else like a lock nut or hubs. Not should I, DO I NEED to?

Scro
07-15-2010, 08:35 AM
The hub will come off the axle, but you will need a big press (20 ton+). I've taken the hub off a stock axle, and installed it on an LSR axle, only because a new hub from LSR is $125.

But like others have said, you can't buy the stock hub by itself and used axles are cheap as dirt.

Ryan'07400ex
07-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Scro
The hub will come off the axle, but you will need a big press (20 ton+). I've taken the hub off a stock axle, and installed it on an LSR axle, only because a new hub from LSR is $125.

But like others have said, you can't buy the stock hub by itself and used axles are cheap as dirt.

Yea i was going to take it to the machine shop but if I can't get another by itself I'm just going to buy a new g-force axle.

I'd rather stay away from used you don't know what it's been through.

Thanks.

jdog75
07-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by 440ex. ehhh!!
yea, your not supposed to separate the sprocket hub from the axle, idk, i guess they are put together when hot or something so each hub will only fit that axle perfectly. but i have looked before for one on ebay and you cant get them separated.
just buy a used axle off ebay or somthing that has the sprocket hub with it.

just my $0.02
Josh

I disagree because my carrier was making a funny noise but there was no play then 5 minutes later my axle seized.