PDA

View Full Version : specific quick jetting question

99exrider94
07-14-2010, 03:30 PM
ok so does a 152 main jet sound right with the outerwears air lid mod and header weld mod and choke removed with 42 pilot ... i cant be far off from sea level prolly some wheres close to it--south jersey 45 min from the shore! lol...

thanks for your help

CJM
07-14-2010, 04:59 PM
I have a 00 416cc with 42 pilot iirc, 160 main, no lid (soon to be outerwears), ground header welds and slip on, hotcam stage 2, 11:1 piston, 3 turns out a/f screw. Im in freehold in south/central nj.

so 152 doesnt sound to far off to me, but im not very good with carbs.

If you cant get it right I know a guy who is a former dealer tech who is insanely cheap and in jackson near the border of freehold. He did mine for 50 bucks plus the jet kit cost (100 total) and it runs 100x better than what the dealer did whom I paid 200.

CarGuy7a
07-15-2010, 02:53 PM
If you are doing jetting yourself, it's pretty much just a trial and error thing. I know I've been there and I eventually got mine figured out.

Elevation plays a big factor in jetting as well. What works for some may be completely off for what you need.

Like for example CJM said his 416 is jetted 160 main and 42 pilot. My quad just has a few things done to it (you can see in my sig what work is done) and my jetting is 160 main with a 40 pilot and is where I've found the sweet spot for mine and I'm running a stock bore motor. With just the slip on pipe I was running a 155 main.

CJM
07-15-2010, 05:59 PM
I need to add a little info here:
I have just learned my buddy used dynojets (yes I know they suck, dont bore me about it and it runs fine for me anyways) and that they are 10 numbers lower than keihn (sp). So Im actually running a 170.

CarGuy7a
07-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I need to add a little info here:
I have just learned my buddy used dynojets (yes I know they suck, dont bore me about it and it runs fine for me anyways) and that they are 10 numbers lower than keihn (sp). So Im actually running a 170.

Ahh ok that makes sense now. Yeah the difference between the dynojets and keihins can confuse people.

Don't worry about it. I've ran both types of jets with good results.

Keihin jets are just easier, you keep the same needle the carb came with, just put the jet in and run.

bkelley
07-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by CJM
and that they are 10 numbers lower than keihn (sp). Not true. There isn't really a set difference between the two, but here is a conversion chart to check out the differences. But even this is just an approximation.

http://www.jetsrus.com/FAQ_mikuni_vs_dynojet_vs_keihin_sizes.htm

CJM
07-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by bkelley
Not true. There isn't really a set difference between the two, but here is a conversion chart to check out the differences. But even this is just an approximation.

http://www.jetsrus.com/FAQ_mikuni_vs_dynojet_vs_keihin_sizes.htm

Thats actually really helpful. before I had the jetting redone it had ALOT of power-but it was very lean, more air of course b/c it was to lean means more power. Now it seems only so so, but better than when it was stock.

before I was so lean it honestly made me think I had at least a 426 or better when I only have a 416.