PDA

View Full Version : Trading my kfx450 for a Outlaw 525 irs

Holy Kaw!
07-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Okay guy's. I'm getting ready to trade my 2008 Kawasaki KFX450r for a 2007 Polaris Outlaw 525 irs.

Is this a good idea? How is the IRS?? Power?? What are some common problems with the Outlaw 525? Any tips on what I should do to prevent some of these common problems?? What's the best exhaust system to buy? Best jetting to do with a aftermarket intake/exhaust?

I have kept my kfx in mint shape oil changes every few hours, chain lubed, connectors greased, bearings greased so on so forth.

I'm just ready to go back to a Carb and i'm really anxious to test the IRS and the KTM 525 engine.

Thanks a ton guys!!!!

sleddog66
07-14-2010, 04:44 AM
I have a 07 525 irs and really like it. That being said, there were a couple of recalls, and a few on going issues. I could go on for pages, but it's best if you go to polarisriders.com and search for "things to look out for on your outlaw". Most of it is not major stuff, but I will say that the IRS does require a bit more maitainance. The 09 outlaw has really addressed most of the issues, and may be a better choice if you can afford it.

mudslinger
07-14-2010, 03:24 PM
My buddy has a kfx450 and has had a few problems, bearings in carrier etc... my 525 has been about the same. He rode my 525 and really liked the ride. I like my 525 pretty well.

offroadrider48
07-14-2010, 11:49 PM
I have a 2007 525 IRS and mine overheats really bad, and i am talking about riding it normally or riding it really Fast, still have not found the problem and it is really making me Mad. The Bike you have is not worth trading for the 2007, unless he has all that you have, or he needs to throw in some cash your way!!!

OutlawBill
07-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Get a by pass kit and oil cooler and your overheating problem should go a way.

offroadrider48
07-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Hello, I have a 2007 Outlaw 525 IRS, and my Quad is overheating so bad that the red light comes on and i have to shut it down for at least four hours so i do not burn it up.
Can anybody tell me the number one cause for doing this? (Overheating)
I got good oil in it and good antifreeze.
I am not racing it i just ride her normal.
I did notice a little white cloud in the oil window checker, but when i put her on flat ground it went a way.
I am so bummed with this (Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS) as i never had an issue with my 2001 raptor and i had her for five years and it never had transmission problems like i heard they had with them.
I really love the Suspension on my outlaw, but i can not really ride it because it keeps overheating:(
Please Help!!!
Thanks John

OutlawBill
07-15-2010, 02:15 PM
One think too check is the oil level too much and it will over heat. With quad level and engine cold you just want to see oil at the very bottom of the sight window with engine running it should go about half way up the window. When Duncan was racing the Outlaw they set up the fan to run all the time and it keep the water temp at about 170 to 190 degree range in a 2 hr long WORCS race. Oil cooler will help more.

http://www.ctracing.com/new_page_2.htm

Holy Kaw!
07-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Okay, ..

So an over heating problem is common then. I could wire the fan to the key and have it run the whole time I have the key on...so thanks for that outlaw bill.

Anything else??

I race XC does anyone else run their outlaw 525 irs in XC? How's the IRS?? How's the power output for XC??

The kfx was nice in power but pretty rough on the rear end. (My rear end).

Thanks guy's.

Holy Kaw!
07-15-2010, 07:27 PM
And also outlaw bill, What is the ''Bypass Kit'' you mentioned??

What exactly will I be Bypassing?

Deadmanonduty
07-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Bypassing the line routing HOT coolant back to the engine. Its a BS design. Helps alot, and is super easy to do. I used a small copper pipe cap, and a couple hose clamps.

OutlawBill
07-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Holy Kaw!
And also outlaw bill, What is the ''Bypass Kit'' you mentioned??

What exactly will I be Bypassing?
C&D racing sell them

sleddog66
07-16-2010, 04:54 AM
You mention that the light comes on really quick. What is the actual temp??? and where are you taking the reading from???

The light is supposed to kick on at 221 degrees, Is that what you are seeing is above 221 degree.

Also what jetting are you running? Really lean tends to run hotter!

sheriff525
07-17-2010, 12:36 PM
I had an issue with temp until I took the time to really clean out the rad. You may probably not notice it too much but the rads fill quickly with small bits of mud and dirt and then they tend to over heat. I power washed the heck out of mine and then I have not really had a problem with it. I also wired a switch into my fan so I turn it on when I want too. Works for me. Plus I took out the stock by pass valve and cut the valve part out and replaced the manifold back into it. Runs more coolant through the lines now and keeps it nice and cool.
cheap to do too!