PDA

View Full Version : 250r crankcase.. antifreeze and oil down there...

LathersR
07-13-2010, 05:07 PM
I took my top end end off.. tons of anti freeze went down there.. i drained it out most of it and like a dumbarse i stuck like a 1/4 of a quart down there of oil... i syphoned most of it out there is a small bit down there... is that ok? i am going to tip it upside down to get the rest out i dontknow if thats a good idea or not.. i dont want to split the cases... so is there a big chance i messed up the bearings.. someone help me out...

C-LEIGH RACING
07-13-2010, 05:22 PM
How deep was the coolant sitting around the crank.
If it was more than say 1/2", it could have been deep enough to get into the main bearings & rust them depending on how long it has sat like that.

You might be lucky enough that it didnt get that high & can just spray a can or two of carb cleaner all down in & around the crank & bearings to wash it out.

If you got an aftermarket front bumper, you can sit the bike up on that on its end & wash the case out right well.

WD40 is about the best thing you can use after the carb cleaner, tends to flood the water away when you start blowing it out with air.

Now, next thing is finding where the coolant came from to get into the case to begin with.
Neil

methyman
07-13-2010, 05:23 PM
First off how did the anti-freeze get into the motor and how long has the anti-freeze been in the motor?

ZRider400
07-13-2010, 05:55 PM
im guessing you removed the head without draining antifreeze first?

stuff some paper towels (shop towels) down in between the crank .... and fish it back out with needle nose after it soaks it up... then proceed to spray it out with WD40 and then compressed air like neil said.

jcs003
07-14-2010, 02:05 AM
also, shop vac out what you can. you probably want to take your clutches out and clean them. the glycol will stick to the fibers and may cause them to burn up.

atvmxr
07-14-2010, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by jcs003
also, shop vac out what you can. you probably want to take your clutches out and clean them. the glycol will stick to the fibers and may cause them to burn up.

:uhoh:
this isnt a 4 stroke. water in crankcase doesnt mean water in the transmission/clutch area...

the way I interpreted the OP was that there was water in there. He got it out. and then poured a 1/2 quart of transmission oil into the crankcase. If you get most of the oil out it should be ok. I usually dump a little 2 stroke oil onto the big crank bearing when doing a rebuild...

Pumashine
07-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by atvmxr
this isnt a 4 stroke. water in crankcase doesnt mean water in the transmission/clutch area...

then poured a 1/2 quart of transmission oil into the crankcase. If you get most of the oil out it should be ok. I usually dump a little 2 stroke oil onto the big crank bearing when doing a rebuild...

x2 on that. And some on the wristpin bearing amd crank bearing. New crank bearings come with grease on them. The oil will eventually burn out. It may be a little smoky when you start it the first time though. LOL!

jcs003
07-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by atvmxr

the way I interpreted the OP was that there was water in there. He got it out. and then poured a 1/2 quart of transmission oil into the crankcase. If you get most of the oil out it should be ok. I usually dump a little 2 stroke oil onto the big crank bearing when doing a rebuild...

haha. my mistake.

LathersR
07-14-2010, 02:05 PM
thanks for the help guys.. the cylinder cracked and it drained a bunch of anti freeze into the crankcase