PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Advice Please?

Hondamaster5505
07-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Well, I will be coming into some money shortly hopefully, and I want to upgrade my system.

I already have two temp. subs in back, not too worried about that aspect right now.

I want to replace my front door speakers, and MAYBE rear speakers.

My car as factory components up front. (6.5 w/ separate tweeter.) Two 6 3/4 Factory component subs in the middle of the car, and two 4" rear component speakers (Separate Tweeters)

First I want to upgrade the front doors.

Problem is there are SO many different speakers and feedback it's hard to choose. I want something very clear and natural sounding, with a nice broad range.
I was thinking Boston Acoustics component set (I found some good deals w/ crossovers) or JBL's.. Or maybe Kenwood Excelons.

Any help? I'm truly at a loss.

07-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Image Dynamics (http://www.woofersetc.com/p6201/CTX65CS--Image-Dynamics-65"-Component-Speaker-System.htm)

quadrcr161
07-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by YFZ-DunerUtah
Image Dynamics (http://www.woofersetc.com/p6201/CTX65CS--Image-Dynamics-65"-Component-Speaker-System.htm)

any speaker can be made to sound good, as long as its set up right and you have a good headunit. check over at diyaudio.com i think, they can help you out. or you could just throw some money at mb quartz, eclipse, ect ect.... tuning the highs and mids is prob the most important part. currently in 2 of 3 vehicles i have eclipse 6.5's in the doors and been happy, cant remember whats in my f250 at the moment.

fastredrider44
07-13-2010, 04:00 PM
A good headunit can make all the difference in the world. The part that sucks with audio stuff is you get what you pay for most of the time. I've had good luck from JL, Fosgate, Clarion, and Alpine speakers. There's a lot more variables than just brand, and I can't say I have ever taken the time to learn it.:rolleyes:

07-13-2010, 04:28 PM
There are more variables than brand, but my personal experience is Image Dynamics is the best sounding I've heard. They're crisp, but not harsh. And for $180 they're fairly priced.

The Image Dynamics beats all the other 6.5's I've owned. I'll swear by them.

Kickstarts-suck
07-13-2010, 06:43 PM
What music?
Off amp or headunit?

If your going to run an amp for mids/highs I agree with those ID speakers.

Good price at that link too.

BlaineKaiser450
07-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Just be sure to run an amp to them and not just power them off of the radio, the difference is incredible

Pipeless416
07-13-2010, 07:23 PM
subscribing to this one.. im interested in replacing my door speakers soon too. im not die hard car audio guy, so i just picked up some kicker cvt65's for the sail panel and im happy so far. i have a kenwood head unit and polk rear speakers.

Hondamaster5505
07-13-2010, 10:43 PM
I listen to pretty much everything. Mainly rock and rap, with some hip-hop and country-rock thrown in.

I would be running off the head unit, at least for now. My headunit makes 20rms and 80peak.

And pipeless, since our cars technically are almost the same radio, how do the new speakers sound in your car compared to the stock?

07-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Don't even bother replacing your speakers without an amp. You're wasting time and money in doing so..

Just my .02 atleast.

ridered11
07-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Replaced all my door speakers with Alpine type R's, couldn't be happier. With those and the 12' P3 in the back it is perfect.

Pipeless416
07-14-2010, 05:26 AM
it sounds wayyy better. but that was compared to the one blown and one missing sail panel "subs" haha. it still doesn't thump or anything, but it hits the lows i wanted it to.

Hondamaster5505
07-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
it sounds wayyy better. but that was compared to the one blown and one missing sail panel "subs" haha. it still doesn't thump or anything, but it hits the lows i wanted it to.

lmao. Yeah those "subs" are a joke. I'm going to pull them and put actual speakers in to make a more complete field of sound.
I mean the way my cars set up now it's actually pretty damn clear. My rear hatch speakers are actually 4" 100watt pioneers, but they're kinda beat up and part of the rubber on one is torn.

quadrcr161
07-14-2010, 11:14 AM
JL makes a killer little 6.5 sub, to fit into small areas. i have on in a sealed fiberglass box inside the tiny spare tire in my crx.

Pipeless416
07-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
lmao. Yeah those "subs" are a joke. I'm going to pull them and put actual speakers in to make a more complete field of sound.
I mean the way my cars set up now it's actually pretty damn clear. My rear hatch speakers are actually 4" 100watt pioneers, but they're kinda beat up and part of the rubber on one is torn.

does yours have the monsoon system? the sail panel speakers only receive lower frequencies in mine. thats why i replaced them with actual subs.

Hondamaster5505
07-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
does yours have the monsoon system? the sail panel speakers only receive lower frequencies in mine. thats why i replaced them with actual subs.

Well, I'm not quite sure if the 93's were the monsoon system so to speak, at least not called that, but yes mine has the 10-speaker premium sound package with the amplified sail panel subs.

But that sucks to hear that.. might end up getting component subs like you did then.

BlaineKaiser450
07-14-2010, 10:11 PM
If you listen to rock and stuff like that, I would definatly reccomend two 10's with about 1000 watts to each. One of my buddies has a setup like that (with enough mids and highs to equalize the bass) and it sounds incredible for metal and rock, and still sounds pretty good for hip-hop/rap.

Hondamaster5505
07-15-2010, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
If you listen to rock and stuff like that, I would definatly reccomend two 10's with about 1000 watts to each. One of my buddies has a setup like that (with enough mids and highs to equalize the bass) and it sounds incredible for metal and rock, and still sounds pretty good for hip-hop/rap.

At the moment all I have it two Alpine Type E 10" subs in a sealed box. They bump pretty clean and hard for entry levels.

Hondamaster5505
07-15-2010, 04:43 AM
Well, I was at my friends house yesterday, and he had an awesome idea.

So... the firebird has the component subs in the middle of the car in the backseat, right? Well.. What sense does it make to have speakers all the way back in the hatch, when they aren't even near the seating area? And what good are factory subs when the subs in back over power them?

Well, I had some crappy walmart 6.5" speakers sitting around. (Roadmaster three-ways that were brand new.) So I used them to try it out.

Basically, I took the speakers out of the hatch area and put them aside, and ran the speaker wires from the hatch, up to the front so that they were where the factory subs would be. This way I have 4 speakers all in the seating area for a more complete sound.

It worked pretty damn good, and believe it or not, those junk wal-mart speakers are really clear.

I'm pretty happy with it.