PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump

Outlaw6;=-
07-13-2010, 02:10 AM
I am stumped..was out for a long run everything worked fine.The next day i pulled the bike out and i can't get it to start.I have spark but notice that no matter how long i try to start the bike the plug stays dry. How do u check to see if the fuel pump is working properly ? In the book it says to check the fuel filter !!! where is the fuel filter ? Thanks for any help on this problem guys.

Outlaw6;=-
07-15-2010, 12:37 AM
I just did a compression test both dry and wet and they were both at 60psi..The book says 85-90psi. I am just curious if i did it right, i open the choke full throttle and cranked it over 3-4 turns. I do have engine work done 558 bog bore with 12.1 piston. Any help or suggestions will be great thanks .

sleddog66
07-15-2010, 04:41 AM
As far as the "filter", it is a sock in the tank. I do not think that it would plug complely, all of a sudden.
That seems low on the compression. I am not real fimiliar with the fugi, but I wonder if the valves are out of spec?
Here is a little trick if you think that the fuel pump is out, just spray some carb spray in the intake side of the carb while cranking the engine over. If it tries to fire up, you have a fuel problem.

katch26
07-15-2010, 10:21 AM
fuel in tank? petcock on? strong battery? etc etc

TRXRacer1
07-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Open the drain screw on the bottom of the carb and see if you have fuel in there.

Outlaw6;=-
07-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks guys for ur info i tried what sleddog said with the carb cleaner and it started for a second then quit.The float bowl is full so i think it might be something with eh fuel pump itself.I checked the gap on the valve clearance and they all checked out.

sleddog66
07-17-2010, 05:32 AM
Depending on the brand of carb spray, you might be able to keep spraying, and keep it running for 30 seconds or so. Good luck

Outlaw6;=-
08-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Well i gave up and took the bike in to my mechanic. He found the problem which was my intake valve was out of clearance,he said the intake valve is what works with the piston to create the proper vacuum which makes the fuel pump work.He also checked my compression which is at 135psi. I've got to stop buying items like compression testers from canadian tire. My jets were off a bit he put a 45 starter 45 pilot and a 170 main. Before i did all the motor work i did a time trial for 250 Ft and my best was a 9.57.I did another time trial yesterday and my best is a 8.78, so i am very happy with the work i have done the the motor.