PDA

View Full Version : Want more for my 400

99exrider94
07-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Ok so i have a completely stock 1999 400ex and i am looking to get a little more out of it. I don't expect no huge gains because i cant put out big bucks:( ... i have already bought the sparks timing key and a performance exhaust tip (because i cant afford an exhaust! not even a slip-on). I was thinking a cdi box and that open air box mod but i dont no if i would have to rejet or not nor the jet sizes i would need if i did have too. also i was looking at the sparks racing X1 drop-in cam, but that would have to come later since its $200.

<br>
First post!:D

Bwetzel55
07-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Don't get a cdi box then don't do anything power gain wise my buddie gave me his to try it was a real cheap one it just made mine idle like crap. Just my .02

CJM
07-12-2010, 08:14 PM
cdi is pointless.

airbox lid removal means jetting

sparks, hotcam or magnum cam would be a good idea.

99exrider94
07-12-2010, 08:31 PM
thanks guys about the cdi box i was really gonna buy it but im want the cam i just need to safe up i dont need to do anything extra with a cam right just replace my stock cam and thats it, also what cam do you guys suggest i do trail riding and pit riding ( its nice open land with some berms and a few small jumps). also what jetting would i have to do cause i was thinking about buying the outerwears cover thing that replaces the lid on the airbox

i was thinking about that sparks X1 drop-in cam but i dont know if it safe and truely drop in and go

PaRedneckRiders
07-13-2010, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by 99exrider94
thanks guys about the cdi box i was really gonna buy it but im want the cam i just need to safe up i dont need to do anything extra with a cam right just replace my stock cam and thats it, also what cam do you guys suggest i do trail riding and pit riding ( its nice open land with some berms and a few small jumps). also what jetting would i have to do cause i was thinking about buying the outerwears cover thing that replaces the lid on the airbox

i was thinking about that sparks X1 drop-in cam but i dont know if it safe and truely drop in and go

I would go either with the stage 2 hotcam ir the sparks, the sparks is like inbetween stage 1 and 2 hotcam so it has good low and mid power

imo just get the stage 2 hotcam, it will be cheaper and i still think u would be happy

As for drop in and go, YES and NO
Yes your just gona replace the cam dont have to modify valves or valve springs, BUT U should have to change valve clerance after u install the hotcam

Stock .004 intake .005 exhaust
Hotcam .005 intake .006 exhaust

Pretty sure thats what it is
Could u still run it without changing valve clearances? Yes but Hotcam gives u directions in there box so give yourself and hour or 2 and u could have it done and be riding

99exrider94
07-13-2010, 10:01 AM
yea i like the sparks cause i have heard that it is like a stage 1.5 lol but the hot cam stage 2 is cheaper so i think i will do that... so how loud is that tic i hear about

PaRedneckRiders
07-13-2010, 10:04 AM
yea i like the sparks cause i have heard that it is like a stage 1.5 lol but the hot cam stage 2 is cheaper so i think i will do that... so how loud is that tic i hear about
Its definitely noticeable but alot of the 400s tick well some do and some dont some with hot cams tick louder than others i mean ya its noticeable at idle but if your riding or anything u dont hear it

99exrider94
07-13-2010, 10:14 AM
yea i wont mind a lil tic with some power gain how bad would this hurt by bottom end or top end if any? im looking for a real strong mid gain without hurting anything else so im thinking that stage 2 also

PaRedneckRiders
07-13-2010, 10:22 AM
yea i wont mind a lil tic with some power gain how bad would this hurt by bottom end or top end if any? im looking for a real strong mid gain without hurting anything else so im thinking that stage 2 also
Well the stage 2 has good mid and ok bottom end power not much on top but deff more than the stage 1, my stage one lacks alot on top but does good for bottom and mid range power but i always ride around in low rpms anyway thats why i got it instead
The stage 2 is just an all around good cam if u ride in a wide variety of places from tight trails to big open fields

99exrider94
07-13-2010, 10:59 AM
yea the stage 2 is sounding like it is what i need and for top end/ top speed i was thinking about going up to a 16 tooth in the ront i know with the cam my power would hit real strong in the mid so thats what im looking for now i just to save up around a hundred and get it

CarGuy7a
07-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Also another note on the hot cams stage 2 cam is that they are for a 426 big bore kit and above.

IMO I don't think a stage 2 cam would give you the desired results you are looking for in a stock compression and bore motor. In fact it may even run worse because of the lack of compression to accommodate for the lift and duration of the stage 2 cam.

For stock compression and bore, you want to go with the Stage 1 cam. The stage 1 cam is good for stock up to a 426. I did notice more mid and top end power with the same low end grunt as stock.

I run a Stage 1 in my stock compression and bore motor and it runs great.

The valve clearance for Hot cams are .005 intake and .006 exhaust, but I have heard that after you break in the cam you can go back to stock valve lash settings of .004 intake and .005 exhaust.

PaRedneckRiders
07-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
Also another note on the hot cams stage 2 cam is that they are for a 426 big bore kit and above.

IMO I don't think a stage 2 cam would give you the desired results you are looking for in a stock compression and bore motor. In fact it may even run worse because of the lack of compression to accommodate for the lift and duration of the stage 2 cam.

For stock compression and bore, you want to go with the Stage 1 cam. The stage 1 cam is good for stock up to a 426.

I run a Stage 1 in my stock compression and bore motor and it runs great.

The valve clearance for Hot cams are .005 intake and .006 exhaust, but I have heard that after you break in the cam you can go back to stock valve lash settings of .004 intake and .005 exhaust.
Just looked at old post and noticed i had the valve clearance off on the exhaust for the hotcam, i must not have been paying attention but i know ppl who have ran stage 2 cam in a mostly stock motor and had no problems but i personally have never ran it in a stock EX because ive never had a Stock EX to run one

CarGuy7a
07-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by PaRedneckRiders
Just looked at old post and noticed i had the valve clearance off on the exhaust for the hotcam, i must not have been paying attention but i know ppl who have ran stage 2 cam in a mostly stock motor and had no problems but i personally have never ran it in a stock EX because ive never had a Stock EX to run one

Oh there's no doubt that it "will" run. But it may not give the best gains according to the compression.

You can only go so big on the lift and duration in the cam before you actually will start losing performance for a given compression ratio.

99exrider94
07-13-2010, 09:41 PM
crap looks like it is gonna have to be a stage 1 i guess because i dont want to go up to a 426 not now anyway... but as long as i get good mid gain and good top end with a decent low end i will be fine.. will the stage 1 do this for me

i have also read someweres that a 406 piston fits without any other modifications is this true... u just by the pistons and drop them in

mx Eli
07-13-2010, 09:54 PM
dude I would just get the stage 2 you will be more happy and don't have to buy another in the future I know how you feel being on a budget too and being a member on this site doesn't really help but o well :D

99exrider94
07-13-2010, 10:13 PM
lol yea budget makes this rough lol but im thinking about the cam because stage to is what i want but apparently it isnt good in stock compression and according to carguy but idk any other word of it not working well with the stock pistons

mx Eli
07-13-2010, 10:48 PM
I know a guy who runs a stage 2 in a stocker with a pipe and it's fine and it goes pritty good:)

99exrider94
07-13-2010, 11:27 PM
here is what i acquired to get the most out of my 400ex... from you guys

do the airbox mod
header weld mod
choke removal (with 42 or 45 pilot)
so what jets should i have.. i think im around sea level here south jersey idk

hot cam stage 2

put it all together and go ride ... correct?

i have read that the choke removal ends up hurting u in hot weather i dont see this happening but im not sure

thanks!

mx Eli
07-13-2010, 11:33 PM
not really sure on the jet but try to get a ballpark before you go a buy a bunch of jets I made that mistake and bought like 25 jets.:(

but you should be very happy with the performance of it.

by the way what is the weld header mod?

99exrider94
07-13-2010, 11:38 PM
yea i was in the ballpark of aroun 150-152 main and likea 42 pilot but the header weld mod is when you grind the stock header weld out to get more air flow i may be wording it wrong here is the link so you kknow what i am talking about http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=334885&highlight=header

sc400ex_rider
07-14-2010, 07:03 AM
I got a stg 2 and like it. stock bore and stroke with the 450r carb and it rips. slight lose of bottom but tons of mid and upper. mine revs out 5th to 72 mph. also stg 2 doesnt mean you have to have a 426.

99exrider94
07-14-2010, 09:19 AM
yea i didnt think i had to but the bottom end with it cant be real bad right just a slight loss and is the choke removal worth it?

TRXRacer1
07-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
Also another note on the hot cams stage 2 cam is that they are for a 426 big bore kit and above. Sorry but that is just flat out wrong. :(

A little more compression helps but cc's doesn't matter. You can stg 3 a stock bore motor as long as you're around 11:1.

CarGuy7a
07-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
Sorry but that is just flat out wrong. :(

A little more compression helps but cc's doesn't matter. You can stg 3 a stock bore motor as long as you're around 11:1.

Either way, I would still want more compression than stock to run a Stage 2 or 3 if it were me.

This thread is from the sticky up top.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237131

If you scroll down to where he starts talking about cam lift and duration, you'll understand why I suggested against running a stage 2 or 3 with stock compression.

Now that we all have the bore size thingy out of the way, we are all on the same page.

99exrider94
07-15-2010, 11:15 PM
i see what your saying so would a 10:1 be good.. i think would be good right

mx Eli
07-16-2010, 11:27 AM
carguy7a has a point you'll be fine with the stage 2 until you can get a high comp piston

CarGuy7a
07-17-2010, 10:38 PM
i see what your saying so would a 10:1 be good.. i think would be good right

10:1 would be better but really isn't much higher than stock. I mean yes it is more than stock but not much. I think stock is like 9.1:1 or something like that.

Me personally if I was going to go more comp, I'd go for 11:1. That way you can still run it on pump 93 or throw in some race gas every once in a while if you want. Once you get into the 12:1 and 13:1 range you are pretty much limited to race gas or methanol.

Heck I throw some race gas in my stock compression motor from time to time but I don't get any gains from it just the good smell of race fuel :D

mineralgrey01gt
07-19-2010, 09:37 PM
i ran the stage 2 in my 04 and loved it, pulled a kfx400 3-4 bikes on top end with that and the 416 kit

99exrider94
07-23-2010, 07:46 PM
if anything i would do 10:1 cuz i got the sparkes key and can only run pump gag

smorris1
07-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Im runnin a stage 2 hotcam on a stock engine with a pipe and jetted. The bike pulls real good. I would totally recommend it.

Hondamaster5505
07-23-2010, 09:22 PM
I can't believe NO ONE has mentioned this yet...

DITCH that crappy, waste-of-life exhaust tip and buy a slip-on. You will notice a really nice gain. I Know you said you don't have the money, but you can find a used slip-on fairly cheap.

Cams will do NOTHING if you're breathing through that crappy stock can out back.. all there is to it. Same goes for other mods.

Exhaust tips are a joke. The way the muffler internals are designed, it's a chamber system. So basically all the tip does is make it louder because you're hearing it echo around that chamber in back.

I did it to mine, and welded it back in it was so annoying. No power gain and sounded like an infant farting in a bathtub.

Then I put a full exhaust and timing key on, and it made it a whole new bike. Couldn't believe the difference. I got a full exhaust system off this site for $100.

Trust me on this one. You need to get rid of that pos stock canister.

99exrider94
07-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505

DITCH that crappy, waste-of-life exhaust tip and buy a slip-on. You will notice a really nice gain. I Know you said you don't have the money, but you can find a used slip-on fairly cheap.

Cams will do NOTHING if you're breathing through that crappy stock can out back.. all there is to it. Same goes for other mods.

Exhaust tips are a joke. The way the muffler internals are designed, it's a chamber system. So basically all the tip does is make it louder because you're hearing it echo around that chamber in back.

I did it to mine, and welded it back in it was so annoying. No power gain and sounded like an infant farting in a bathtub.

Then I put a full exhaust and timing key on, and it made it a whole new bike. Couldn't believe the difference. I got a full exhaust system off this site for $100.

Trust me on this one. You need to get rid of that pos stock canister.

i no i plan to get rid of the stock pipe. and for the tip i already know lol thanks i just acquired one so i used it

CarGuy7a
07-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Do all of your external mods first. Air filter and pipe and other stuff like that and then do your cam and internal motor work last. This way you are already setup for your cam and other motor internal upgrades.

99exrider94
07-25-2010, 08:19 AM
will do, i was just getting ideas for the future.. i no the exhaust is a must!

TRXRacer1
07-25-2010, 08:25 AM

DITCH that crappy, waste-of-life exhaust tip and buy a slip-on. Totally missed that. Great advice.

07-25-2010, 08:50 AM
humm if he was to read some one did say pipe and jetting it lol.

Hondamaster5505
07-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by ericcrip
humm if he was to read some one did say pipe and jetting it lol.

Yes but no one has clearly stated "ditch the exhaust tip"

You probably use one:p

JOHNDOE83
07-25-2010, 09:21 AM
LMFAO....like a infant farting in a bath tub...LOL

thats hillarious.

Hondamaster5505
07-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
LMFAO....like a infant farting in a bath tub...LOL

thats hillarious.

I'm not kidding either :p It was horrible lol

CarGuy7a
07-25-2010, 10:20 PM
I'm not kidding either :p It was horrible lol

I can agree to that. About 3 days after I bought my 400, I read somewhere that someone said they sounded good with the end cap off the stock exhaust. I took mine off and rode around the yard once and pulled it back in the garage and put the end cap back on. I felt embarrassed just thinking that someone may have heard that thing with the end cap off. It sounded horrid.

99exrider94
09-22-2010, 07:40 PM
lol about the exhaust tip... it is way diffrent then having no tip lol i have heard it without the end cap and it does sound horrible but with the insert i got it actually sounds good.. i was surprised cuz i do know how they usually sound. thanks for ur replies