PDA

View Full Version : How hot do these things run -- help !

FISH ON!
07-12-2010, 07:38 PM
I'll try again to get some help on this one. Our new Raptor 250 runs perfect. Plug looks great, etc........... But......the dang thing runs hotter than I'd like to see but it doesn't seem to affect it's performance........yet! It's been 90 to 102 degrees outside where we ride but ????? I haven't shot the temp lately but if you check it the old fashion way (spit on it) it will sizzle everywhere on the motor..... not just the cylinder. Last ride the cylinder was so hot the mud couldn't even stick to the cooling fins and they were bright clean metal when we were through.

Come on guys.......... anybody seeing that issue? Do I need to take it back for a little warranty work?

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/striperfishn/Raptor%20250/IMG_4905.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/striperfishn/Raptor%20250/IMG_4904.jpg

vondeister
07-13-2010, 06:16 AM
never had any issues with ours running hot

hwf-racing
07-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Wow, Fish-On you got something going on good now if we could just figure out how to get the rest of engine to do what your cyl and head did, we would not have to clean our engines. But seroiusly, I don't think you have a problem but you are under warranty so just get it checked out. Like the graphics. I just finished the a arms and axle on ours I posted it in this forum as PIcs. Good Luck, Derek

gorpracing
07-13-2010, 08:56 PM
We live in the desert out side of Las Vegas. My boy rides in the eve when it is cooler, about 95. We checked with a heat gun and it was 500 plus on the head pipe and 300 plus on the cylinder. I talked with my buddy from LTE exhaust to see if he thought the bike was running lean. There pipe and jetting. He said it was ok. My boy just ran a night race for 2hrs 90 plus degrees with no issues. We will see how long it last.

QuadJunkies
07-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Were going to attempt to run our Sons 250 at the Xcross next wk end with a fan installed. Made a huge difference in temperature.
Gonna chop up my Tinner air scoops and give them to him as well. :)

QuadJunkies
07-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Brandon just took a Desert ride today... it was 100 degrees + today ... he done a 30 minute ride non stop 3rd and 4th gear stopped and immediately checked the temps on ALL our quads ..

LTR450-220 Degrees-Fan stayed running for approx. 30 seconds .Did temp reading with the fan turned OFF.

My 440EX- 230 dergees- no air scoops

Raptor -193 degrees with a Big Bore kit
thats gonna change to alot cooler . Fan install tomorrow if all goes well with how to mount securely.

I think I better get a fan for mine too ! LOL :o

FISH ON!
07-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys......... We've haven't been out to get actual temp readings yet but thanks for giving me something to compare to.

quadjunkie................ I'm interested in what oil cooler you went with and how it's mounted.

Thanks!

QuadJunkies
07-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by FISH ON!
Thanks guys......... We've haven't been out to get actual temp readings yet but thanks for giving me something to compare to.

quadjunkie................ I'm interested in what oil cooler you went with and how it's mounted.

Thanks!
So bummed.. the fan idea is out .. we havent installed a cooler, we just experimented with a SPAL fan,hoping it would work as well as it does for the 400ex. having the fan mounted to fit on the outside of the stem causes too many SECURE fitting issues. It cooled it very well too .:( I guess Ill just install on my EX, sounds like I need worse anyhow haha!

BUT!!!!.... we might have found an oil cooler ! Ill def. post it up when I know for sure ! And its pretty cheap ! :)

QuadJunkies
07-29-2010, 12:20 AM
Just thought I would tell you what we experienced this past wk end at WORCS race ....

Raced in 90 degree weather.. 3-30 min. practice motos and 2 -50 minute races..

Never got over 125 degrees ! And thats with no fan installed !
:D
Whoo hoo!

FISH ON!
07-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Dang............. That must not be a combustion engine you are running......tell me you had it on the Celcius scale !! LOL

Is that with the stock oil cooler and where are you measuring that temp?

QuadJunkies
07-30-2010, 12:26 AM
stock cooler measured at the head . Lol
Still researching a cooler . Once I get some fundage we will be buying it to try it on for size .

nzraptor
08-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Fish On we just spent Sunday in the Forest completing the final round of our gravel sprint series. It was wet and muddy. Our crankcase and head by the end of the day looked idendical to yours. Don't think you've got a problem mate.

FISH ON!
08-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by nzraptor
Fish On we just spent Sunday in the Forest completing the final round of our gravel sprint series. It was wet and muddy. Our crankcase and head by the end of the day looked idendical to yours. Don't think you've got a problem mate.

Good to know........... ours is still thumping with no probs.

QuadJunkies
05-21-2011, 08:43 PM
We have since added the Spal fan. Testing it tomorrow :)

QuadJunkies
05-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Since this is a puller fan and the way we had to mount it , a pusher fan would be needed... OR... A few freinds of ours told us to just reverse the wiring. Never even thought of that . LOL
Should be good to go once we do that.

EJ Racing 07
05-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Please post pics of your final fan install. Thanks!

QuadJunkies
05-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Will do. I want to note it made a big temperature difference just idling in garage. Were going to do some temp readings.