PDA

View Full Version : a day of riding I saw 3 new predators 2 of them get towed back

Honda4ooEX
02-03-2003, 08:49 AM
while riding last week, the riding ground was full. I saw 3 new polaris predators at the sand drag strip. They appeared to be cool. I later went back to the truck and one of them was being towed back by a 400EX with a tow strap. Then about 15 mins later the other one got towed back. I went over to talk to the 2 guys. They were parked next to eachother but they did not know eachother. I asked them what happened, they one guy worked for a polaris dealership and he said he blew a head gasket, the other guy said his blew up. I couldn't believe it. They were brand new and 100% stock. The dealer started talking trash about polaris it was funny. Then my bearings went out in my bearing carrier and the 416 had to get towed back for once! LOL it was a good day. I just fixed the bearings and the honda is back in action. I plan on staying away from the polaris preadtor for a couple years.

lil400exman
02-03-2003, 09:04 AM
well since they might of been so new they may have not been broken in correctly which that is what kills alot of quads engines........ and that mybe a cluprit since you said they were dragging...........just a thought:ermm:

cabex
02-03-2003, 10:52 AM
Thats Polairs for ya!
And I can say that because I own a Polaris and it is nothing but problems.
:blah

TravEX
02-03-2003, 03:45 PM
every quad has it's problems,,,we've had 4 Polaris's with 0 problems at all,,,

Desert Rat
02-03-2003, 04:25 PM
Polaris recommends a three hour break in procedure for the Predator followed by an oil and filter change. I've done that with mine and a little more. I have had no problems running it at the sand dune since, but that has not been very much as yet. Time will tell. The engine is made by Fuji in Japan. A pretty reputable company. The rest of the bike is standard stuff, like any other sports quad other than maybe being a little better quality than most. The pricing was reasonable. I'm totally satified to this point. It feels a lot like my 400ex with a wider stance, more travel and a lot more power than a stock 400ex. You always take on a little risk with any all new model. I'll give an update after I have beaten it up for a few weeks. I'm keeping my 400ex so I will have something to tow it back with.

suzuki Z400
02-03-2003, 05:57 PM
they dont have rev limiters i dont think. I knew something would go wrong because it was polais' first clutch thing ever. My one friend we thought he was going to blow his up cuz they rev so high.

RED121572
02-03-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by suzuki Z400
they dont have rev limiters i dont think. I knew something would go wrong because it was polais' first clutch thing ever. My one friend we thought he was going to blow his up cuz they rev so high.

Wrong, the rev limiter is set at 9005 rpms

4punksdad
02-05-2003, 07:46 PM
I have ONE question.

why would towing your quad with a bad bearing carrier be any better than just riding it under its own power? either way the wheels are turning & chewing stuff up.

raptor699
02-05-2003, 09:14 PM
lol.... that's a good one punk

02-06-2003, 11:55 AM
New predators blowing up huh.??:confused:

Ask Chadexer what happened to his 400ex motor after $3000 worth of motor work...:eek:

Just cuz it's new doesn't mean you can go hammer down with it..proper break is what makes a motor last..

ChadEXer
02-06-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Rico
New predators blowing up huh.??:confused:

Ask Chadexer what happened to his 400ex motor after $3000 worth of motor work...:eek:

Just cuz it's new doesn't mean you can go hammer down with it..proper break is what makes a motor last..
Well just hammering down on it wasnt the only thing wrong, the carb wasnt pushing enough gas to feed an RC engine!! WAY too lean! But I learned my lesson,,,make sure its running good and broke in before you hit the drag strip!!

Honda4ooEX
02-07-2003, 12:15 PM
I forgot to mention the bearings in the carrier heated up and exploded, chewing up the bearings causing the whole rear end to lock up. THATS why it had to be towed back.

suzuki Z400
02-07-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Honda4ooEX
I forgot to mention the bearings in the carrier heated up and exploded, chewing up the bearings causing the whole rear end to lock up. THATS why it had to be towed back.

How could you tow it if the back wheels were locked up?

Guy400
02-08-2003, 04:20 AM
sniff..sniff...what's that smell??

If bearings "explode" than the balls between the races are going to fall out leaving the axle all sorts of room to flop around in the carrier. It will still roll, poorly but it will roll, enough to get it back to the truck. Unless the guy didn't feel the rear end flopping around like a fish on land than there's no way the bearings would just lock up out of the blue.

I hope people aren't just making up stories because of their dislike of Polaris or their insecurity that maybe Polaris built a better bike than what they're riding.

RED121572
02-08-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
sniff..sniff...what's that smell??

If bearings "explode" than the balls between the races are going to fall out leaving the axle all sorts of room to flop around in the carrier. It will still roll, poorly but it will roll, enough to get it back to the truck. Unless the guy didn't feel the rear end flopping around like a fish on land than there's no way the bearings would just lock up out of the blue.

I hope people aren't just making up stories because of their dislike of Polaris or their insecurity that maybe Polaris built a better bike than what they're riding.

......Yea, now go to your room! :D

4punksdad
02-08-2003, 05:16 PM
guy, I kinda smell the same thing you do. except I smelled it the day this was posted.

Guy400
02-08-2003, 06:58 PM
I was not going to tell this story but I might as well share it anyways. I was out riding today on my little woods track behind my house. There were 2 DS650's, 3 Z400's, my 400EX, 1 Predator, 1 KFX400 and 2 Cannondales.
Both DS650's were too big and fat for the trails so they both got stuck between two trees and tore the a-arms off. They suck.
All 3 Z400's bent their axles. They suck.
The Predator blew his headgasket. They suck.
The KFX just sucked.
The Cannondales were too expensive. They suck.
I hit a tree in 4th gear pinned but my trusty Honda steed just bounced off and kept going. It doesn't suck.

Pappy
02-08-2003, 07:00 PM
guy, that was the most intelligent statement ive ever heard regarding the other manufactures. bless you:devil rotflmao:D

beerock
02-08-2003, 07:09 PM
I was not going to tell this story but I might as well share it anyways. I was out riding today on my little woods track behind my house. There were 2 DS650's, 3 Z400's, my 400EX, 1 Predator, 1 KFX400 and 2 Cannondales.
Both DS650's were too big and fat for the trails so they both got stuck between two trees and tore the a-arms off. They suck.
The KFX just sucked.
I hit a tree in 4th gear pinned but my trusty Honda steed just bounced off and kept going. It doesn't suck.

now you know why I ride honda or nothin!:D ;)

everything else just sucks!:rolleyes: ;)

flyin#5
02-08-2003, 08:13 PM
The KFX just sucked.

lmao thats the truth!:rolleyes:

4punksdad
02-10-2003, 06:09 AM
hey guy.................I love your list of modifications. Does the 400EX go faster now that you own it rather than me? :o

jcv400ex
02-10-2003, 08:58 AM
Guy, You didn't think Cannons sucked when you where blastin across the field on that Moto!! :macho

Get on the plank ya traitor!!! Walk!! Walk!!! ARRRRR!:devil

Guy400
02-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
hey guy.................I love your list of modifications. Does the 400EX go faster now that you own it rather than me? :o Yes, the EX is considerably faster now that I own it. It's a well known fact that Ohio air makes more horsepower than Virginia air but I still can't jump as well as when you owned it:D

Guy400
02-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
Guy, You didn't think Cannons sucked when you where blastin across the field on that Moto!! :macho

Get on the plank ya traitor!!! Walk!! Walk!!! ARRRRR!:devil AlaskaJim already organized the firing squad the day I told him I was selling it:D

knighttime
02-10-2003, 12:46 PM
Yes, the EX is considerably faster now that I own it. It's a well known fact that Ohio air makes more horsepower than Virginia air but I still can't jump as well as when you owned it:D

yeah u better buy some new shocks after c ing those pics of 4punks jumpin the mofo.

4punksdad
02-10-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
yeah u better buy some new shocks after c ing those pics of 4punks jumpin the mofo.

the 400's shocks were still in great shape. she saw plenty of air...........but very few harsh landings. use and abuse are 2 different things.

lil400exman
02-13-2003, 06:18 AM
they are 4 punks???!?!? lol its nice to see you all agreee with me on this post............it makes me feel like i know a lil bit about engines........

SGA
02-13-2003, 07:58 AM
Haha! Good one Guy!!! Picture foghorn leghorn talking...

Listen up son, all brands suck except mine! I know- I say, I know what i'm talkin about here, are you listening son? Why, my cousins brother's (insert brand) blew up 2 minutes, I say 2 minutes after it left the dealer! Its a piece of crap, I tell you. are you listening son?
Now my (insert brand), I tell you, the dealer forgot to put oil in it, I say forgot to put oil in it, ran for two months perfect, no oil son! Why, I've used it to save babys, I say babys, from from a burning building, saved the president when someone tried to shoot him, I say saved the president, healed the sick by laying hands upon it, are you listening son? blah, blah, yak, yak, etc..... Now where did that kid go?

Guy400
02-13-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by SGA
Haha! Good one Guy!!! Picture foghorn leghorn talking...

Listen up son, all brands suck except mine! I know- I say, I know what i'm talkin about here, are you listening son? Why, my cousins brother's (insert brand) blew up 2 minutes, I say 2 minutes after it left the dealer! Its a piece of crap, I tell you. are you listening son?
Now my (insert brand), I tell you, the dealer forgot to put oil in it, I say forgot to put oil in it, ran for two months perfect, no oil son! Why, I've used it to save babys, I say babys, from from a burning building, saved the president when someone tried to shoot him, I say saved the president, healed the sick by laying hands upon it, are you listening son? blah, blah, yak, yak, etc..... Now where did that kid go? lmao:D

440exnacsracer
02-14-2003, 07:46 PM
i just love it when i go riding and people start dogging on my polaris. ill just start laughing and say drag or track? theyll say what and ill be like " do you want me to beat you on a track or drag or both?" he he. j/k but ive only been beat once in a drag b/c the guy got a head start and i missed a gear and he had a raptor w/ a pipe and a few other little things. i even beat a shee with a fairly new top end, pipes, k&n, boost bottle, and a few other things. im going to echeconnee this weekend to try it out on the track...sorry guys but this thing is also WAY more reliable than my EX

4punksdad
02-15-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 440exnacsracer
i just love it when i go riding and people start dogging on my polaris. ill just start laughing and say drag or track? theyll say what and ill be like " do you want me to beat you on a track or drag or both?" he he. j/k but ive only been beat once in a drag b/c the guy got a head start and i missed a gear and he had a raptor w/ a pipe and a few other little things. i even beat a shee with a fairly new top end, pipes, k&n, boost bottle, and a few other things. im going to echeconnee this weekend to try it out on the track...sorry guys but this thing is also WAY more reliable than my EX

WAY? more reliable? a little soon to say that isn't it?

Honda4ooEX
02-21-2003, 02:06 PM
Punksdad4 your wrong, The carrier and bearing exploded inside the swingarm. The races cracked. The whole thing was shot and when I took it apart bearing fell out and everything. The rear tires locked up. I was in SAND thats how I manged to get it towed back by a big 4x4 quad. Just because in theroy it can't happen doesn't me in didn't. You are saying it is impossible for bearings and races and carriers to fail, and their is no way the rear tires could lock completley up? I am putting my boots on because your right I do smell bull$hit.

RED121572
02-21-2003, 04:18 PM
Mmmmmmm......Beam. :D

4punksdad
02-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Honda4ooEX
Punksdad4 your wrong, The carrier and bearing exploded inside the swingarm. The races cracked. The whole thing was shot and when I took it apart bearing fell out and everything. The rear tires locked up. I was in SAND thats how I manged to get it towed back by a big 4x4 quad. Just because in theroy it can't happen doesn't me in didn't. You are saying it is impossible for bearings and races and carriers to fail, and their is no way the rear tires could lock completley up? I am putting my boots on because your right I do smell bull$hit.

:huh
son.........you are reading too far into my comments. Either way, failed bearings are not very likely to lock up your rear axle.

440exnacsracer
02-21-2003, 09:03 PM
the only way ive ever seen failed bearing carriers to caused a locked up rear end was when my 440s carrier broke in the front and the axle shifted forward and the chain wrapped around the front sprocket......4punks...yea it is a little early, but it hasnt given me any problems other than the fact you almost have to "break in" the bottom end. for a week or so it was difficult to shift gears, but its getting better. ive heard 10w oil will fix this...any tips? lata

Scott
02-21-2003, 09:36 PM
I've seen bearings lock up the rear axle in the carrier. A riding buddies 400, the bearings were due to be replaced before he decided to try to get one more ride out of them. During the day the bearings went out (axle flopping like a fish I think was the quote I saw earlier) and we were about 10 miles from the trucks. As we were trying to limp his quad back a gravel road to the trucks the bearings/carrier got hot enough that it was trying to sieze up. After a little cool down and a splash of water (and a few swift kicks) we made it back to the trucks, and he got to buy a new carrier in addition to bearings.

Never seen one spontaneously lock up though.

rookiex
02-22-2003, 04:17 PM
I have been riding a pred. in the rain snowie fog for 6 hours now on my track.BEAT THE HELL OUT OF IT.Not once did it falter not once did it stall.Hit hard suspension was superb. I give Polaris a 10 man.It is a bad quad..And you all know I loved my ex.But the ex is just not hangin with it.

When I say beat I am talkin 75 ft jump going for a flat landing...

Take it from me guys I am not liein vary good machine. This and or a dale would be my choice over anything

And the steering amamzing I can't believe how it handles....You have to ride it HARD to understand what I Mean.Honda is still my brand and forever will be.But this thing is BAD.

440exnacsracer
02-23-2003, 07:48 PM
amen rookie...amen:blah