PDA

View Full Version : Broken oil filter bolt... what do i do???

ss5515
07-12-2010, 11:54 AM
So i just snapped the longer oil filter bolt that goes into the inner case... just wondering can i have someone retap the hole and put the next bigger size bolt in or do i have to buy a whole new inner case???

Honda4LifeWes36
07-12-2010, 12:24 PM
I was able to retap the hole and put the next bigger one in. But mine was the smaller bolt if I remember right...

honda400ex2003
07-12-2010, 12:24 PM
i would probably go that route or at least get a reverse drill bit and an easy out and try that first. if it is not in too far you could try to notch it for a flat head screw driver. the next best thing to do though if you cant get it out with a bit is to drill it out normally and retap it slowly with a new size. then you would have to drill the cover out a bit to fit the new hold the new bolt. steve

aDviSol2y
07-12-2010, 12:33 PM
It's funny, I think everyone that has ever owned a 400ex has snapped one of those 2 bolts atleast once. I was able to thread the broken bolt back in and slowly unscew while keeping pressure on it to get the broken tip out. I got lucky. I would try what you can to get the broken peice out before tapping a larger one.

CJM
07-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Drill it out imho, extracting it hardly ever works. Once drilled out you can retap it.

If you really want to do it right you drill it out then remove the case cover and drill that out properly too.

Ian400ex
07-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
It's funny, I think everyone that has ever owned a 400ex has snapped one of those 2 bolts atleast once. I was able to thread the broken bolt back in and slowly unscew while keeping pressure on it to get the broken tip out. I got lucky. I would try what you can to get the broken peice out before tapping a larger one.
A friend and I have both snapped bolts in the end cap of our stock exhausts. :rolleyes:

Bwetzel55
07-12-2010, 08:10 PM
I just snapped my short oil filter bolt but, luckily we could get it far enough using a pick were we could grab hold of it with a pair of pliers to get it the rest of way out. Honda shop even gave me a free bolt lol

v0lcom13sn0w
07-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y

x2

flyboy1294
07-13-2010, 03:34 PM
How deep did it break off?

If there is enough of it left, just take off the outside case, put a pair of vise grips on the remaining shaft of the bolt and twist it out of there. You might have to by a new gasket for that side of your engine, but you're looking at $5 vs whatever it costs to drill and retap.

sc400ex_rider
07-14-2010, 07:22 AM
well i havnt broke mine off yet but im a mech and broken plenty others. spec on them is only like 8 ft. lbs.

400exrider36
07-20-2010, 11:46 AM
all the stupid 8mm bolts break....
ive had 5 of them break taking my rocker/valve cover off...... they need steel thread inserts with harder bolts or something

dalejiw25
07-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider36
all the stupid 8mm bolts break....
ive had 5 of them break taking my rocker/valve cover off...... they need steel thread inserts with harder bolts or something

Ya!! And while you're at it how about a little liquid cooling and some fuel injection. Maybe some extended A-arms and axles and Fox shocks out the box. Come on. Get Real with em Honda. Time for some serious Upgrades to the ol 400 at the Factory level. Les Go.... Show us what you got.