PDA

View Full Version : silencer packing

redonkulousruntsracing
07-12-2010, 08:30 AM
My silencer keeps getting soaked with oil, and I have been repacking it every couple of weeks or so. Is there any reason really to pack it? Besides to keep the noise down? My son likes how it sounds with out any packing in it, and I was thinking about just leaving it out but didn't know if it would hurt anything by leaving it out. I cant really see how it does anything but muffle the sound a little.
P.S. I found out what was soaking it with oil and fixed it.... I had a little helper "help" me mix gas and he poured 2 more bottles of oil in the gas when I got done mixing it, he saw me do it....

EthansDad
07-12-2010, 08:04 PM
The packaging actually helps create back pressure in the exhaust which helps with bottom end response. without back pressure, you loose a bit of fuel/air out of the exhaust prior to it burning. still runs, just reduced power. the replacement silencer is pretty cheap and I go that route twice a year VS repacking.

on the oil factor, we still use our oil injector for the stock class as stated. you can adjust the cable tension and a adjuster screw on the injector to mess with your mix ratio. We've never had to mess with it, and I seem to recall it mixes at about 15 or 20:1 with the injector, which is pretty oil rich.

-EA

redonkulousruntsracing
07-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Apex's are pre-mix only, they dont come with oil injection
so a mixing I will go. I just need to figure out how to salvage that 5 gallons of C12 that now has 3 pints of Klotz R50 in it. Short of buying 10 more gallons of C12 and finding something to up 15 gallons of fuel in.

Coley'sdad#8
07-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Bro, I am glad you didn't burn down a motor running lean with all that extra oil in it. The packing is important for some back pressure and resonance of the system. I don't know what you were mixing @ but with the smaller engines they can not burn completely a thick ratio and it blows through the pipe as hot liquid then into the silencer where it cools and collects, I call this slobbering. raise your mixture up to 36-1 or above and keep your jetting good and you wont have any problems.
ha ha ha I bet your the guy that likes the sound of those little 50 cobra's and ktm's with no packing in them:D shreeeeek ear piercing.

redonkulousruntsracing
07-14-2010, 12:24 PM
uummm, I found the oil problem as I was tearing apart the motor for the 4th time and had to drain oil fron the base, I bet a pint was in the crankcase, my son was riding it and he came wide open up the driveway and is just quit and I couldn't turn it over. I didnt realize the extra 32 oz of oil was in the gas until I saw that the last 2 bottles in the case were gone and in the trash can empty. My son told me what he did. Oh yeay he like the sound of a trackside pipe on a Cobra, crackle, crack, crack !!! I ran his quad without the silencer and he loved how it sounded, freakin' loud.

Coley'sdad#8
07-14-2010, 12:29 PM
well look at it this way, at least you still have enough summer left to burn up that 5 gals of c-12 in your lawnmower:eek2: , you can challenge your neighbors to a mowoff:D
Carter told me he runs some in his mower every now and then just so he gets the race smell while mowing:D :D

redonkulousruntsracing
07-14-2010, 12:52 PM
My chainsaw loves it!!