PDA

View Full Version : EX Wont Start

atb400ex
07-11-2010, 09:39 PM
So after messing with the carb on my EX forever, I've determined i dont think the carbs the prob. I sprayed some carb cleaner directly into the intake boot and it still won't start. So im thinking it might have jumped timing after the rebuild. Is there a way to check this without tearing the side off? Also, i think the chain tensioner may have broken, how do i check this?

a4guy
07-11-2010, 10:06 PM
The side cover needs to come off.

atb400ex
07-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Even to check the tensioner?

hocman123
07-12-2010, 03:57 PM
no the side cover doesn't need to come off but in order to check timming u well have to take the valve cover off and put the engine in top dead center and see if the 2 lines on the cam sprocket line up with the engine.

the tensioner u don't have to take any major engine parts off. it is mounted to the right side on the cylender on the back of it. it has 2 bolt holding it on and a big screw in the middle if u take the big screw out and get a really tiny flat head u can turn the tensioner. i belive to the left will loosen it and if u loosen it all the way then pull the screw driver out and u should hear it bounce back if nothing happens then i think it is broken

and did u replace ur cam chain and chain guages during ur rebuild b/c i cheep out once and didn't do it and the tensioner broke again and my quad was out of service for like a month