PDA

View Full Version : Youth quad questions

dman66
07-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Hi guys, this is a general question of what smaller quad should I buy for my kids? I see many chineese quads out there, but I don't know how any of them hold up. I'm looking for a quad in the 110 - 150cc range, either sport or utility style. Any support out there would be well appreciated. Thanks

preddy brian
07-11-2010, 06:21 PM
I wouln't buy the Chinese quads. Most of them are hard to get parts for and hard to get someone to work on them. My son has an Outlaw 90 that we have had very good luck with. He is 10 and it fits him good. The Outlaw is fully automatic with reverse. If you are looking for something bigger then the Pitser or Yamaha Grizzly 125 are about the only ones I know about. I hope this helps you. Good luck.

mbarryracing
07-13-2010, 10:44 AM
I agree the Chinese products are sub-par... The Polaris Outlaw is made in Taiwan, along with most of the other OE youth ATV's but these are still NOT Chinese. Taiwan adopted the japanese quality and manufacturing standards fropm Honda, Yamaha, Toyota, etc so they are pretty darn good, even better then some domestic products.
The CanAm DS250 is another Taiwan product but darn good bargain for what you get...

finsteratv
07-13-2010, 04:47 PM
if you have the money yamaha is coming out with a 125 raptor for 2011 other then that i would get a trx90 or polaris

250ex_dan
08-16-2010, 02:28 PM
itsnt there a viper too.?

dman66
08-16-2010, 02:50 PM
I bought the kids a 2001 kawasaki bayou 220, for $ 800.00. The quad needs a little work, but runs good starts with no problem. My 9 year old rides this thing quite well. The only problem with kids, other than not listening to you, is NO FEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!, until they get hurt. I really like this little quad. Has headlights,brake lights,but wish it had disk brakes instead of drum. It's semi automatic-no clutch-shift on fly by foot shifter,and has a pull start in case you lose the starter.Perfect for 9 - 13 year olds,but adults can ride it to. Not fast enough for me though - a good learner quad.

QuadJunkies
08-20-2010, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by dman66
Hi guys, this is a general question of what smaller quad should I buy for my kids? I see many chineese quads out there, but I don't know how any of them hold up. I'm looking for a quad in the 110 - 150cc range, either sport or utility style. Any support out there would be well appreciated. Thanks

Alot depends on

How old are they ?

Are they small or bigger ,you want something that fits them properly not something they need to grow into that will be too big..

Whats the primary type of riding you will be using it for ?

Will you want to upgrade in aftermarket parts(and we ALL know we will :D )

Do you see your kids a future racing them ,sand riding, trails ect..?

2 stroke or 4 stroke or have no preference .

this helps sort what direction to point you to. :)

QuadJunkies
08-20-2010, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by 250ex_dan
itsnt there a viper too.?

There was an Eton Viper and Kasea but I dont think either are now avail. in the U.S. to purchase new .
We owned one a few years ago.

250ex_dan
09-05-2010, 03:43 PM
arent they 2stroke.?

QuadJunkies
09-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by 250ex_dan
arent they 2stroke.? yes, both are .