PDA

View Full Version : Pleases help my toe hurts!

mudchicken
07-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Does toe in the front end make that big change in the handling of the EX? I noticed yesterday after taking it out for my first real ride I dont really think I have any toe in and I know I need some. But my question is will this make it handle that bad? It seems so touchy in steering. It takes nothing to move the quad. Its that bad I fight with it to keep it going in a straight line and its beating my ***** bad (making me feel WAY too old). Anyone have any ideas why its like this? Please help

Thanks!

JOHNDOE83
07-11-2010, 05:50 PM
when you toe in, one wheel turns more then the other, causing it to pull akward when turning.

I dont toe in, and its alot better, for me anyway.

Give it a shot?

atv fan 28
07-11-2010, 06:03 PM
You need 1/4 inch toe in.

Maybe you should think about using a steering stabilizer. That might help you out.

mudchicken
07-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by atv fan 28
You need 1/4 inch toe in.

Maybe you should think about using a steering stabilizer. That might help you out.
Yeah I read that, just didnt have time to adjust it. I never put a tape to it but from looking at it I dont see any toe at all. I just never had anything that handled like this in a straight line in the turns its great but going straight its all over the place.

JOHNDOE83
07-11-2010, 06:17 PM
If you wanna see where the problem is, stand the quad on the grab bar and turn the wheels, you will see why to much toe in is BAD.

One wheel turns WAY more then the other, NOT supposed to be like that.

Most the toe in should be is 1/8th.

atv fan 28
07-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
If you wanna see where the problem is, stand the quad on the grab bar and turn the wheels, you will see why to much toe in is BAD.

1/8th per side. Here is a good link on setting up your front end.

http://www.lsracing.com/img/Guide_21.pdf

mudchicken
07-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83

Ok I understand that but im not saying i have too much toe. I dont think I have any. The problem I am having is the bike just wanders all over and is VERY touchy does not want to track in a straight line. Maybe it has something to do with the extended A-Arms. I rode a lot of quads in my time and never had one handle like this for me. Its BAD.

TRXRacer1
07-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by mudchicken
Yeah I read that, just didnt have time to adjust it. I never put a tape to it but from looking at it I dont see any toe at all. I just never had anything that handled like this in a straight line in the turns its great but going straight its all over the place. You are toe out right now. Toe out feels like power steering in the corners and like you're being pulled left and right in the straits. Toe in will want to track strait and offer a more stability. Like mentioned before about 1/4" in is just right. Anymore and you'll have to work harder then necessary to turn.

Set the front on a stand or some blocks so the wheels are off the ground, use some ratchet straps to lock the handlebars to the grab bar right were you want them and start adjusting until your front measurement is 1/4" less then the back side. I say lock the bars because it's easy to get your bar alignment off when doing this.

mudchicken
07-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
You are toe out right now. Toe out feels like power steering in the corners and like you're being pulled left and right in the straits. Toe in will want to track strait and offer a more stability. Like mentioned before about 1/4" in is just right. Anymore and you'll have to work harder then necessary to turn.

Set the front on a stand or some blocks so the wheels are off the ground, use some ratchet straps to lock the handlebars to the grab bar right were you want them and start adjusting until your front measurement is 1/4" less then the back side. I say lock the bars because it's easy to get your bar alignment off when doing this.
Thats what I was looking for. I will let ya's know what I find out when I get chance to check it. Thanks!!

slightlybent47
07-11-2010, 07:37 PM
You are toe out right now. Toe out feels like power steering in the corners and like you're being pulled left and right in the straits. Toe in will want to track strait and offer a more stability. Like mentioned before about 1/4" in is just right. Anymore and you'll have to work harder then necessary to turn.

I agree I took my toe out and all it did was spin out on every corner. I put the toe back in and it was way better.

Ntensweapon
07-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Toe out will make it turn in hard.
Toe in will help with straight line stability. I would set it square or a bit in and pick up a steering stabilizer.

NacsMXer
07-12-2010, 04:27 AM

Wait a sec. Aren't you supposed to adjust toe with the quad on a level surface, at ride height, and preferably with the rider on the machine? At least that's what the manual says (only the level surface part).

After my rebuild I started playing with the toe with the quad on the stand. When I got done fiddling with it I thought I was such a dummy for doing it with the quad in the air.

Which is the right way to do it?

TRXRacer1
07-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Wait a sec. Aren't you supposed to adjust toe with the quad on a level surface, at ride height, and preferably with the rider on the machine? At least that's what the manual says (only the level surface part).

After my rebuild I started playing with the toe with the quad on the stand. When I got done fiddling with it I thought I was such a dummy for doing it with the quad in the air.

Which is the right way to do it? I've seen it both ways but most recent was in a Honda Service manual. They said to lift it. Been working good for me. With the dual arms everything stays relatively close.