PDA

View Full Version : radiator with cap

ml450r
07-11-2010, 04:18 PM
What is the advantage of a radiator with a cap on it other than doing away with plastic overflow above tank?

florentino
07-12-2010, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by ml450r
What is the advantage of a radiator with a cap on it other than doing away with plastic overflow above tank?

it let s all the air out. i am about to put a honda radiator since i have it. i am also working on the frame and i found the way cure all the weak areas in the frame. it will be done in one week. so pics are soon to come.

TNT
07-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Right basically hot air needs a place to go to help keep coolant from boiling or having air in the lines, caps are like pressure relief valves having different psi ratings you can buy.. The top of the recovery tank does the same thing as a cap sorta allowing air a place to go, with no recovery tank expensive coolant is puked to the ground.

florentino
07-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by TNT
Right basically hot air needs a place to go to help keep coolant from boiling or having air in the lines, caps are like pressure relief valves having different psi ratings you can buy.. The top of the recovery tank does the same thing as a cap sorta allowing air a place to go, with no recovery tank expensive coolant is puked to the ground.

i think that alot of pros for mx dont run a recovery tank at all. this goes for all bikes not just can am. i do like to have the fan on at all times. ever since that i never got the bike hot

HOBS DS450
07-16-2010, 01:14 AM
Don't quote me on this but I believe they did away with the overflow because of reliablity issues. The overflow is prone to breaking and it serves as the front seat securement as well. I've seen this break and cause a leak. The other good thing about the removal I see is the heat. It definitely gives more air flow to the engine IMO.

I like the BCS kit since it has a relocated overflow, for those of you worried about losing expensive coolant. In the future I will probably go with their kit or something real similar.

TNT
07-16-2010, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by HOBS DS450
Don't quote me on this but I believe they did away with the overflow because of reliablity issues. The overflow is prone to breaking and it serves as the front seat securement as well. I've seen this break and cause a leak. The other good thing about the removal I see is the heat. It definitely gives more air flow to the engine IMO.

I like the BCS kit since it has a relocated overflow, for those of you worried about losing expensive coolant. In the future I will probably go with their kit or something real similar.

We got the BCS kit it's pretty nice, when they relocate the r-tank they put a metal bracket in place for the seat, much more reliable.

kellymi
07-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Where do they relocate the overflow tank to?

TNT
07-17-2010, 08:39 AM
a good distance away from the engine heat behind the left front shock right under the wheel well....mounts with two bolts to side frame member, made of hard clear plastic.

TNT
07-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Heres sorry about the fuzzy pic my shoulder is messed up only got one arm working.....

With BCS you weld a fill cap on your radiator and a nipplle next to it the blue hose you see connects to it then to the overflow tank shown....there is no return line to the radiator like a recovery tank/system has(stock)...I think BCS measured a 20F drop check with them....thier kit comes with CV4 hoses and in-line cooler shown in pic.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/Terrylport/IMG_3804.jpg

The cap is not a relief cap since the nipple/hose allows air/coolant to go to a overflow tank.

HOBS DS450
07-17-2010, 10:00 PM
I think the pic is blurry cause your hiding some top secret stuff, LoL
j/k

florentino
07-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by HOBS DS450
I think the pic is blurry cause your hiding some top secret stuff, LoL
j/k thats what i think. or once you see how its made no one will buy it. you can just make it your self.

TNT
07-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Hahaha...well your time is worth something, I think for a couple hundred the BCS system is well worth it.

So the answer to the OP is, heat, get rid of the recovery tank loses it w/that comes less wear on the motor, I think you'll see your money back in one season and more reliability.

ScottB125
07-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Does the BCS kit have a larger radiator or just a cap welded on the stock one?

I'm far from a pro rider and mine has been boiling over in this Texas heat. I'm going to need to do something.

TNT
07-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Same size radiator just adds a cap, they wire the fan always on.....

run some engine ice, you can rewire the fan yourself....put some heat reflective tape common to engine heat bottom of recovery tank.....Install louvers and keep the rad clean...try all that then BCS is the next best choice....You can weld any cap on let it puke to the ground too, get rid of the recovery tank is a heat input source, make a new seat bracket, etc...I think getting it all the kit from BCS is well worth it. :)

PS: I seen on the leak thread your pump is leaking that can definitely cause over heating issues, fix that first.

florentino
08-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by TNT
We got the BCS kit it's pretty nice, when they relocate the r-tank they put a metal bracket in place for the seat, much more reliable.
can i relocate the stock reservor somewhere else??
i find a place for it sits lower would that work.
can you put a better pic. and looks like you can get that bcs tank at any autostore