PDA

View Full Version : oil leaking under cylinder

number12
07-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Hey guys,
After putting in a new piston, I replaced all of the gaskets, etc and reassembled everything. I have oil leaking between the crankcase and cylinder. Not much but enough that I can't leave it alone. I torqued everthing to spec and after the first hour of breakin I started to see a little oil. Should I try to loosen everything and retorque? Or am I going to have to buy a new head and base gasket and start over? Should I use a product like Honda lube or something or is that a no-no? this is on a 250 raptor.

brian 68
07-12-2010, 06:13 PM
new gasket, make sure you cleaned all the old gasket off. did you gouge the surface when you removed the old one? never use oil on a gasket. in fact make sure you clean all the oil residue off , or it will leak. brake cleaner (nonclorinated) works well.

number12
07-12-2010, 06:24 PM
I ordered a new gasket set today. the old base gasket came of pretty good. There was some printing that transferred from the old gasket so I took a maroon pad (like scotchbrite, about 320 grit) and some carb cleaner and it came off pretty good. Do you think the carb cleaner might have left some residue on it? Also, just in case someone else runs across this, I loosened the head bolts and retorqued and I think it is actually leaking a little bit more.

brian 68
07-12-2010, 07:55 PM
when you torque your new gasket. apply a little oil on the threads, to asure accuracy. make sure that both surfaces are clean and dry, and make sure your hands are clean when handling the new gasket