PDA

View Full Version : chance to race a 1600 light buggy

mx Eli
07-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Yesterday at my conformation party my great uncle asked if I was interested in driving his new buggy in the 1600 light buggy class. I would have to pay 25% of parts that are broken and as much as I can for tires and I pay all my entry fee. He's a really nice guy to hang with and he used to be a mechanic for johnny greaves, so he knows his stuff.

The only down side is my atv racing career (which mind you is not getting far) would be put a side except for ice racing in the winter

What should I do? Your opinion is thanked

woodsracer144
07-11-2010, 02:24 PM
well i see your in WI. im as well you gonna run crandon or where would you all be racing it? one thing to look at is how far could you get with the buggy and how much would it talk and how far could you get on the quad and how much would it take?

being in WI i think the buggy might be alittle harder cause i dont know where you are all gonna race but just something to think about

yellowzo3
07-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Well if you're dead serious on atv racing and are 100% trying to go somewhere with that then I'd stay with it. But if you just race for fun then give the buggy a try!

However, if someone asked me to race their buggy for them but told me I had to pay for a bunch of crap I'd walk away. You might break some really expensive parts, you may break none. But just say you do $1000 damage (which is practically nothing when desert racing or CORR)... You'll be responsible for $250 of that and then have to pay at least another $250 for tires, plus at least $100 entry fee. You just paid your uncle $600 to race his buggy.

Idk, unless you're established and have some money to play with I'd pass. I'td be an amazing experience for sure, but $600 is the MINIMUM you'd have to pay. If you blow an engine or something you'll be in it for at least a grand.

How old are you? If you've got the funds to repair it, go for it. If not, you'll be kicking yourself when the motor blows and you're quad gets benched for half a year so you can save up to pay for buggy repairs. :ermm:

mx Eli
07-11-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm 14 and but the thing about parts and stuff is he has probably anuf parts to make 3 buggys by just looking around his barn so anything he has i can use.

He builds all the engines too so it's not like I would have to send them off somwhere. also to completely rebuild a motor it would only cost like 350 at most they are type 1 engines and he has a bunch laying around. and he already has a couple sets of tires and rims ready. basically he has more parts than I could break at his disposel.

I would love to be dead serious about atv racing but I'm 14 and can't go out and buy a 7500 dollar quad and go beat the piss out of it and break more stuff and pay for new tires every two races.

and yellowzo3 these are not 50000 dollar desert racing buggy's they look like this
http://www.geraldracing.com/3-big.JPG

and woodsracer144 here is a link to all the race's
http://www.torcseries.com/schedule.php

yellowzo3
07-11-2010, 06:52 PM
I know what they are lol... They have them on CORR sometimes before PRO2 and PRO4 (on TV)...

Why would he tell you that you have to pay for 25% of broken parts and tires? If he has all the stuff then you shouldn't have to worry about anything. It seems like he wants you to pay for the parts regardless of how much he has stacked up in his barn.

I would make certain with him that any parts he has lying around you can use to repair the buggy for free. I understand its not a Class 1 buggy but stuff still adds up, so don't let that fool you. You're 14 so I'm sure moneys not exactly coming out the wazoo :p ...So make sure of what you'll have to repay before you end up in trouble.

Not to sound stupid but are 14 year olds even allowed to race buggies? Sounds sort of unsafe having a 14 year old on the track with no experience going against guys that have been racing for years. You don't even need to have a drivers license to sign up?! Tell those guys to watch out! :blah:

**Just looked it up and you can race buggies at 14! Whoa! lol... You can race in a CORR race at 14 but can't ride a 450r until you're 16. :confused:

Edit*- Just to give you an idea of what it costs if you race in a CORR race:

One time Race License- $65
Each member of your crew you want in the pits -$50 per person
1600 Class Entry Fee- $500

$615 and all you did was enter the race so far.

mx Eli
07-11-2010, 08:00 PM
I have to find out how much everything cost but I bet it's not 500 for entry that might be 1600 pro or super

yellowzo3
07-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Limited Buggy. Go on the lucas oil series website... It lists the entry fees for each class.

Here's the link:

http://www.lucasoiloffroad.com/drivers.htm#fees

mx Eli
07-11-2010, 08:16 PM
that's a different series

yellowzo3
07-11-2010, 08:21 PM
You can't race the TORC series (Used to be the CORR series).

The youngest you can be is 14 WITH prior experience and then you have to get approved by the USAC Chief Steward

http://www.torcseries.com/pdfs/rulebook/2_GENERAL_RULES.pdf

Edit*- Here's what I could find of the entry fees without signing up to the site:

http://www.torcseries.com/pdf/TORC_Entry_Packet.pdf

I believe the 1600 classes are under the "SRT" prefix. It's a $400 entry fee. You can check out the dates of races and things on there also to see whats happening near you.

mx Eli
07-11-2010, 08:29 PM
my great uncle has alot of pull and knows johnny greaves pritty good also my buddy's dad races in that class

yellowzo3
07-11-2010, 08:32 PM
show up on your quad and start ripping around the track.. maybe they will count that as prior experience :devil:

woodsracer144
07-11-2010, 09:11 PM
**** i didnt know they raced that much around here!

your gonna have to say to your uncle cut the **** how much would it cost me

mx Eli
07-11-2010, 09:23 PM
yea ik I'll go and talk to him next weekend if we don't got anything going

by the way what area of wisconsin are you in?

400grl
07-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I race in the LOORRS Series....if you are worried about cost, get yourself a couple of sponsors to help you with costs such as race gas and entry fees.

I was a quad racer for years, but I LOVE short course racing!! It's just as fun, just as challenging, except you have a cage around you in case you eff up! :)

I say GO for it!! :) Just make sure you and your uncle are on the same page as far as cost to race the buggy goes.....and see if he can use his connections in the series to help you with sponsor hookups!

Also, don't go out there without getting some good, quality practice in. You don't want to be a squirrel or look like you don't know what you are doing.....seat time is VERY important in these races!! :)

Good luck!

woodsracer144
07-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by mx Eli
yea ik I'll go and talk to him next weekend if we don't got anything going

by the way what area of wisconsin are you in?

Im by Eauclaire, where are you? i have a ranger i want to make a prerunner and race the TT now...

mx Eli
07-12-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm in the waukesha area. you could make your ranger a lite truck it used to be called 7s. a guy that my uncle help has an f150 that he races in the stock class it's mostly about cornering speed in those classes

I we were kinda planning on going to crandon to practice for a couple weekends so I could get used to it.

woodsracer144
07-12-2010, 04:10 PM
you think you could have your uncle do like a parts list for a light build for me? its a 93 4.0 auto. I have a TIG welder and can weld up alot of things, I just dont know what to do about the front end for susp. and how to get the rear leafs re bent, They take them out a chevy 1500 or something like that and flip the hangers and shackles around to get more travle.

yellowzo3
07-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
you think you could have your uncle do like a parts list for a light build for me? its a 93 4.0 auto. I have a TIG welder and can weld up alot of things, I just dont know what to do about the front end for susp. and how to get the rear leafs re bent, They take them out a chevy 1500 or something like that and flip the hangers and shackles around to get more travle.

check out Dezert-rangers.com ...It's a big forum for prerunners and everything. You can probably use a lot of ideas on that site as long as you keep within the rules listed for your class.

woodsracer144
07-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
check out Dezert-rangers.com ...It's a big forum for prerunners and everything. You can probably use a lot of ideas on that site as long as you keep within the rules listed for your class.

I asked them to give me a rough idea on a cost to build one and i got my *** reamed out and said to search for the stuff.. I dont know **** about them and whats good parts and what junk! thats why i asked them in the first place to help me...

mx Eli
07-12-2010, 05:36 PM
yea when I talk to him I'll ask him about it I'm sure he won't care. I don't know if you go to the fall crandon race but we'll be there for sure. and you can use your quad for transportation and there is trails right down the road. it's a great place and you can go talk to the top guys right in there pits. last year somebody's truck fell out of the top level of the double decked semi trailer. it was pritty freaky cus we were probably 20 feet away. also if you can stay a until monday sunday night everybody leaves and it's funny to get people to do peel outs with a camper trailer on the back :eek2:

mx Eli
07-12-2010, 05:37 PM
people on those site's have so much money it just come's out of the ***** hole

yellowzo3
07-12-2010, 08:35 PM
I asked them to give me a rough idea on a cost to build one and i got my *** reamed out and said to search for the stuff.. I dont know **** about them and whats good parts and what junk! thats why i asked them in the first place to help me...

Lol yeah I never post on that site, just browse. The site seems to have a small group of guys that will give serious answers and the rest are all hardcore SoCal kids. I basically just search around and try to see whats what by checking out different parts companies and stuff. It's just a good place to find all that stuff in the same spot. If you start posting tech questions and they see you have a legit truck you're trying to build they'll probably be a little more helpful. I used to check out the site almost daily but it seems like if you're not "in" with everyone there you're not welcome at first.

People asking how much it costs to build a truck or "what can I build for 10k" and all that gets asked A LOT over there. It's like the "whats the best pipe for my 450r" question on this site :p

I'm not sure of all the rules for the race series you're getting into but check out Camburg's parts. Quality stuff and very well known. There's a section on 1450 class trucks on dezert-rangers as well and there are a ton of build threads and detailed pictures of builds to give you ideas.

mx Eli
07-12-2010, 08:59 PM
are you looking to build more of a desert truck or a torc series kinda truck?

toby400ex
07-13-2010, 12:00 AM
I asked them to give me a rough idea on a cost to build one and i got my *** reamed out and said to search for the stuff.. I dont know **** about them and whats good parts and what junk! thats why i asked them in the first place to help me... Go to rangerstation.com . If your truck is pre - 1998 it shouldn't cost a ton to get good travel out of it, especially if you are good with the welder and fabricating. Autofab sells good parts and suspension kits for a reasonable price also. I had their 2wd front end kit.

woodsracer144
07-13-2010, 12:41 AM
im on that site too i just dont make it over there as often... I want it to be a 4x4 also...

toby400ex
07-13-2010, 08:34 AM
im on that site too i just dont make it over there as often... I want it to be a 4x4 also... Autfab makes a 4x4 kit also. It's just bent beams, extended radUs arms and a set of shocks. Limit straps are also a good idea.

woodsracer144
07-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Autfab makes a 4x4 kit also. It's just bent beams, extended radUs arms and a set of shocks. Limit straps are also a good idea.

dont mean to high jack this but whats that kit cost?

mx Eli
07-13-2010, 10:30 AM
could have a nice woodsracing ranger!

woodsracer144
07-13-2010, 10:34 AM
could have a nice woodsracing ranger!

haha!

woodsracer144
07-13-2010, 10:41 AM
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc254/Cuik/1997fordrangernacional.jpg something like this is what i was thinking

mx Eli
07-13-2010, 10:51 AM
NIIIIIIICE

the only bad thing is there's not many place's to drive it up here

yellowzo3
07-13-2010, 11:02 AM
something like this is what i was thinking

That's not too bad at all. If you can weld you can definitely do it yourself for the most parts. You'd just have to buy beams, shocks, and stuff like that.

As for your rear leaf question (sorry I just saw it lol)... you could just get Deaver Leaf Springs. Pretty popular and you get get a fairly serious setup out of them.

http://www.deaverspring.com/

http://www.deaverspring.com/photos/tcsetup01.jpg

woodsracer144
07-13-2010, 02:59 PM
NIIIIIIICE

the only bad thing is there's not many place's to drive it up here

i know! theres a few roads that i could have fun on around me but it wouldnt be safe...

mx Eli
07-13-2010, 03:10 PM
thats why you have to race at the place's in that link! haha or you could go to the logging roads in crandon