PDA

View Full Version : chevy small block v-8 help

dober250R
07-11-2010, 10:24 AM
I just bought this 83 truck with a chevy 305 with lift kit and mud tires. And the dang thing burns something.... I dont think it's oil because it never gets low, and doesnt smell sweet like anti-freeze. While looking at the motor, i discovered a line that was cut.... Does anyone know what the circled area is? It seems to be coming out of where it goes into the header.

Honda4LifeWes36
07-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Bout have to be oil would be my guess. Outta the valve covers or that line you are saying.

Not sure though. Not a chevy guy :D

Kickstarts-suck
07-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Looks like its air injection for emissions.

Pull all the tubes out and plug them.

Probably doesn't even have the smog pump still on it.

wilkin250r
07-11-2010, 12:37 PM
So the top right of the picture, I'm looking at the brake booster, right?

There's only a couple things I can think of that come out of the header, except for the obvious exhaust.

A lot of old chevy engines used something called a Thermac system, pulling hot air from around the header and fed it into the intake. Feeding warm air to the intake helped reduce warm-up times and allows leaner choke settings.

Another is the old automatic chokes would pull hot air from the header and feed it to a bimetal spring attached to the side of the carb. When the spring was cold, the choke was closed. When the spring was heated (as the engine warmed up), it would open up the choke.

But I think both of those systems were on the other side of the engine, so I'm still at a loss. Can you take off the air cleaner and snap another picture of it?

TRX_450
07-11-2010, 06:09 PM
check all your fluids and see if anything is low, theres only really 3 things that will make it smoke, oil, some sort of fluid, or water. it could be sucking tranny fluid up into the carb and burning it, so just check all your fluids. also if its been sitting for any length of time they will smoke for a little while until they burn up all the carbon.

chucked
07-11-2010, 06:23 PM
What color is the smoke? I've dealt with that dumbass air injection before. They are a pain to get off. I'd just find a way to cap it off.

CJM
07-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Cap the air injection.

Check trans, oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid and antifreeze to make sure it doesnt leak.

dober250R
07-11-2010, 07:05 PM
The smoke is a grey color.... which baffles me. And if the truck sits for weeks, it smokes like crazy....I think I'm going to rip that crap off and plug the holes...

Jim417mx
07-12-2010, 08:18 PM
if your lazy and want to do it the easy way just pinch that end and weld it shut!