PDA

View Full Version : spal fan on a trx...

jcs003
07-11-2010, 07:58 AM
anyone ever add a cooling fan on their trx?

im not too savvy with wiring but i assume a fan could be utilized.

is it possible to wire a fan via the lighting circuit?

troybilt
07-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by jcs003
anyone ever add a cooling fan on their trx?

im not too savvy with wiring but i assume a fan could be utilized.

is it possible to wire a fan via the lighting circuit?

Yeah, there's several topics on this. I think Jon370 did it on one his 401's, with a YFZ fan. Key things I remember were 200w stator, and adding a manual switch or thermocouple in radiator. I'll see if I can find those threads. Hard to search when fan is a 3 letter word... LOL..

jcs003
07-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by troybilt
Yeah, there's several topics on this. I think Jon370 did it on one his 401's, with a YFZ fan. Key things I remember were 200w stator, and adding a manual switch or thermocouple in radiator. I'll see if I can find those threads. Hard to search when fan is a 3 letter word... LOL..

thanks. all i could find was the set-up they are doing for a 400ex.

troybilt
07-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Here is a couple threads you should peruse...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=428138&highlight=cooling

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111465&highlight=450r+radiator

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=397808&highlight=cooling

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=432034&highlight=cooling

jcs003
07-12-2010, 04:24 AM
while searching i came across some info but nothing concrete. you would think this was a STICKY, due to the fact big bore motors would benefit from the extra cooling

Langbolt
07-13-2010, 11:24 AM
I've wanted to do the same thing for my 680cc Hyrid as she runs pretty hot in the slow trails....on the roads cooling is not a problem.

BUT....ya gotta remember the fans are DC and the stator output is AC....so ya need a RECTIFIER to convert the AC to DC. As well as a regulator to keep the peak voltage to 13.5v

I'm more Mechanical than Electrical......my teacher for electrical was so BORING that I couldn't stay awake in class!!! lol

:devil:

jcs003
07-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Langbolt
I've wanted to do the same thing for my 680cc Hyrid as she runs pretty hot in the slow trails....on the roads cooling is not a problem.

BUT....ya gotta remember the fans are DC and the stator output is AC....so ya need a RECTIFIER to convert the AC to DC. As well as a regulator to keep the peak voltage to 13.5v

I'm more Mechanical than Electrical......my teacher for electrical was so BORING that I couldn't stay awake in class!!! lol

:devil:

from what i read jon370r did it but left out specifics on the install. im pretty much still in the dark.

i am a mechanical engineer and i dont do well with electrical. cant explain why. i was able to do all the calculations in AC/DC circuits in college but cant wire a table lamp.

86 Quad R
07-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
from what i read jon370r did it but left out specifics on the install. im pretty much still in the dark.

i am a mechanical engineer and i dont do well with electrical. cant explain why. i was able to do all the calculations in AC/DC circuits in college but cant wire a table lamp.

lol electricty is boring until it pops ur a z z ..... about the only sure way to run a fan is to use a 200watt setup and figure the means to wire in a regulator/rectifier in the system.

wilkin250r
07-13-2010, 01:10 PM
How many people are actually thinking about doing this?

If the demand is high enough, I'll try to put something together. I'm an expert in electricity.

troybilt
07-15-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm interested in doing this myself, and have done some research on this. There is some kits out there I found when I was looking. Apparantly the older KTM bikes have some cooling issues, and KTM came up with a kit. I'll try and find it, it was a smaller fan for a dirt bike with the split radiator, I thought it would be slick for the 250r.

troybilt
07-15-2010, 09:01 AM
That was easy found it.

http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/ktm-parts/ktm-parts.php?sku=59035041044&title=KTM-Fan&year=&ktm-model=&category=Cooling-Radiator&fitment=bigbikes

croat1
07-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

If the demand is high enough, I'll try to put something together. I'm an expert in electricity.

i'm intersted

250Renvy
07-15-2010, 10:00 AM

Definitely interested. However I think to be effective, the radiator would need one of those trick shrouds that allows the air to pull through on the whole surface. But when the fan isn't on, I'm not sure how the airflow would be.

Wilkin - being that you are an expert in electricity, do you have any input you could add about adding a working brake light to the 250R or Adding Reverse via the CDI - similar to the snowmobiles?

tritty_wall
07-15-2010, 10:29 AM
i'm intersted, I was thinking about this a few months ago, and looked for post on here about it but couldn't find much. I was thinking of using a fan from a 450 (R,YZF, DS etc.).

wilkin250r
07-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
Wilkin - being that you are an expert in electricity, do you have any input you could add about adding a working brake light to the 250R or Adding Reverse via the CDI - similar to the snowmobiles?

Working brakelight on a 250r is relatively simple, but (this is coming from distant memory, I can double-check later) you can't do it with the stock 250r front brake, but you CAN with a 400EX front brake.

The 400EX is almost identical, so it's any easy swap, but it has a place to mount a microswitch that gets activated when you pull the brake lever.

For the rear, you get a banjo bolt with a pressure switch built in, and replace the stock banjo on top of the rear brake cylinder.

When you say add reverse, are you talking about like actually adding a reverse gear? Almost impossible, it might be close to possible if you had electric start, but you'd still need a completely redesigned CDI.

jcs003
07-15-2010, 01:25 PM
speaking of 400ex. they use a spal fan on thier oil coolers and that would be a good size to use. just the wiring configuration is another issue.

mxduner
07-15-2010, 03:36 PM

When you say add reverse, are you talking about like actually adding a reverse gear? Almost impossible, it might be close to possible if you had electric start, but you'd still need a completely redesigned CDI. he is referring to the sleds that have electronic reverse that work by the engine actually running backwards. What they did was alter the timing advancing to a point it kicks the motor back and sends it to run backwards, but just at idle. all without shutting the motor off. works real nice:blah:

wilkin250r
07-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Really? It does it automatically without stalling the engine?

I can't imagine the stress that would cause on the crank and tranny :eek2:

mxduner
07-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Really? It does it automatically without stalling the engine?

I can't imagine the stress that would cause on the crank and tranny :eek2: Yea they work slick as all get out! they slow the rpm's down like as if you hit the kill switch and turn it back on (the switch) just enough to not kill it. My sled is in storage or i would film an example:devil:

troybilt
07-16-2010, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by mxduner
Yea they work slick as all get out! they slow the rpm's down like as if you hit the kill switch and turn it back on (the switch) just enough to not kill it. My sled is in storage or i would film an example:devil:

I've heard of this before but have never seen it. It would be a slick way to get reverse without adding a gear.

wilkin250r
07-16-2010, 07:48 AM
And I've heard of it, too. I believe there was even a prototype ATV that did it several years back, but it was some off-brand and it never hit the market.

But I thought they completely stalled the engine to do that.

Langbolt
07-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Years ago my buddy rebuilt his Tri-Z 250 and when he put the stator plate on he had the timing out so bad that when he kicked it over....it bucked and ran in reverse!

The look on his face when he put it in gear and it went in REVERSE was priceless!!!!!

I KNEW I should have follwed through with a PATENT on that idea!!!

:(

wilkin250r
07-16-2010, 10:28 AM
It might be possible, I'll look into it.

I wonder what happens with the kickstart gears if the quad runs in reverse, and the gearshift mechanism. I'm tearing apart an engine right now, I'll keep that in mind as I look at those components.

Langbolt
09-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Hey WILKIN250R,

Are you still willing to put together a wiring diagram on how we can add a fan to our 250R's ?

I know there's a demand for it....:devil: