PDA

View Full Version : Coolant smell

fatboy666
07-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Idk if it's normal for 450s or it's a problem but when I ride I get a kinda strong smell of anti freeze. It's not leaking from anywhere I can't figure it out. Prob gonna drain the whole system and see if that helps.

Any ideas?

DnB_racing
07-10-2010, 10:29 PM
not normal, unless you call a leak normal? might be a head gasket or water pump seal,

fatboy666
07-10-2010, 10:33 PM
it was leaking but i just had my valves adjusted and new head gasket. idk if its just burning off what was leaking onto the exhaust or not.

DnB_racing
07-10-2010, 10:44 PM
if any white smoke at all its still leaking! are you sure the old leak was gasket and not head or craked cyl.?if it was leaking before and ran dry or overheated then you probly still have an issue

fatboy666
07-10-2010, 10:56 PM
no smoke, it doesnt run hot. the radiator was always full when it leaked and the guy at the honda dealer had the quad running and he told me it was good to go. im sure he would have noticed a cracked head, also it wouldnt have full compression and he did a compression test on it and said its perfect.

i think its just still burning off. i looked all over theres no weeping lines no wetness, nothing. the radiator is still full to the top.

DnB_racing
07-10-2010, 11:29 PM
that's good no smoke! the smell shouldn't last if no problems, how long have you ran it?I dont think that it should still smell after running it for a few minutes, check your plug that will show if any leak

fatboy666
07-11-2010, 07:56 PM
i just ran it today for about 2 or 3 hours. everytime i shut it off to cool down i got the smell again, but only for a few seconds and it would go away. idk what the deal is. im prob gonna drain the radiator and put all new fluids in it and then check the plug.

eastside 400
07-11-2010, 07:59 PM
most likely it is comming out of the overflow hose on the expansion bottle, the hose ends up putting it onto the engine/exhaust where is burns and makes the smell, i get a piece of hose from lowes or home depot and run it all the way to the ground. Also, dont fill the expansion bottle past the low line.

fatboy666
07-11-2010, 08:18 PM
thats what i was thinking but theres no wet ness on the motor or anywhere on the frame. i really cant figure it out. when i got it the overflow bottle was actually bone dry. idk if it has a hole in it or not. im gonna drain everything power wash the whole quad getting everything off it making sure there is absolutely no coolant on the motor at all and then put all new fluids in and take it from there. i know its not leaking into the motor because i just changed the oil and trans fluids and they were both clean. just has me stumped. prob something stupid that i havent seen yet. i was gonna ground the fan out anyway so i might as well do everything at once.

thanks for the replies.