PDA

View Full Version : 465 Up and Running

Sandragggen
02-02-2003, 11:15 PM
After many attemps to stop base and head gasket leaks, I finally got the 465 running good. All I can say is that a longer swingarm is needed even with stock tires. The EX revs suprisingly quick and found that I was searching for another gear at the end. The 465 wheelies at will in any gear in sand. I really had to watch it while going over whoops with full power. I'm currently running stock gearing on gas. This will pull a 16 counter with no problem and possibly a tooth or two smaller on the back. I know it's not the fastest EX out there but unless I get a longer swingarm, there will be no way to control it when paddles and alky are applied. It's all coming together finally!

QuadJunkies
02-03-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Sandragggen
After many attemps to stop base and head gasket leaks, I finally got the 465 running good. All I can say is that a longer swingarm is needed even with stock tires. The EX revs suprisingly quick and found that I was searching for another gear at the end. The 465 wheelies at will in any gear in sand. I really had to watch it while going over whoops with full power. I'm currently running stock gearing on gas. This will pull a 16 counter with no problem and possibly a tooth or two smaller on the back. I know it's not the fastest EX out there but unless I get a longer swingarm, there will be no way to control it when paddles and alky are applied. It's all coming together finally! You have any pics ?? How long you been working on ???haha.. I bet wheelies are easy to pull,what paddles you runnin?

Sandragggen
02-03-2003, 12:56 AM
I don't have any recent pics, but I will get some soon and post them. I will be running Hauler ultra lights, but not until I deal with the handling issues. It's been down for about a year. With a blip of the throttle it wheelies.

cabex
02-03-2003, 08:20 AM
sounds like its a really thumper. You should line it up with a predator and see how it fairs

HondaRancherES
02-03-2003, 09:36 AM
Glad you finished it. Now all ya need is pixs.

raptor_02
02-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by cabex
sounds like its a really thumper. You should line it up with a predator and see how it fairs it would eat a predator, chew it up, and make it look like a mini predator

02-03-2003, 11:48 AM
After many attemps to stop base and head gasket leaks, I finally got the 465 running good.

How bad were the leaks? How did you fix them?

I have had and seen leaks in the head and even more popular is the head cover but I dont think I have seen the base leak.

Just curious how you handled it.

BeltSlipper
02-03-2003, 05:46 PM
Are you bringing that beast to Big River this year? I'm curious what it will run. And if you need a wheelie bar I have just the thing for you.
Oh, btw, this is Kevin from Chicago
See ya next month

Sandragggen
02-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Head leak was fixed by using a custom head gasket that I got from Sparks. I was thinking about metal o-ringing the cylinder if this gasket didn't work. So far it has. The guy who originally worked on the ex did not bore the case halves he ground them. In some areas where the base meets the cylinder there is not alot of surface for stock paper gaskets to get a good seal. I called cometic and they made me a rubber coated metal gasket that works great..so far. I made a big mistake by letting this Rick Jones work on my quad. He did my 440 and it ran great for over 1.5 years...I thought he knew what he was doing so I let him do the 465..I was wrong. From hear on out, No one else will be working on my quads. I will have to farm out the machining, but everything else will be done by me. It may take me a little longer, but when finished, I know it will be right. Sure you can take your quads to TC, Sparks..ect. How long will they have your motor and how much money will it cost? I know right now there is 1.5 year wait at Sparks. That's insane. The most important thing I've learned out of this experience is not to be so dependant on others. You will get a different answer to the same question from the same person on a different day. That pretty much sums it up.

Kevin..Racing season is closing fast. I'm kind of curious to on what it will do. I know it won't beat the Polaris, but that's ok. The EX is my riding bike. See you in March.