PDA

View Full Version : We need them now.

hsr
07-09-2010, 11:08 PM
With only 15 atv mx pros on the starting gate for the past few rounds has got me thinking about some names from the past. Don Lysinger, Jason Luburgh, Matt White, Jason Dunkelburger, Cale Downen, Cody and Hunter Miller, Gilbert Attix, Russell Shumaker, Doug Gust, Joe Havisto, Mitch Reynolds, Mark Kendall, Travis Spader, and soooo many more. It's a shame that there isn't even a qualifier for the pro class any more. So much talent out there that has come and gone that aren't racing anymore for whatever reason. The sport could really use guys like this out here today...

gncc025
07-09-2010, 11:18 PM
I know its kinda sad. I grew up watching most of the guys you listed. Its nothing against the new guys, its just I looked up to those older riders when I was young i guess.

toby400ex
07-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Must be pretty expensive to do without factory backing......

mx8
07-10-2010, 07:23 AM
With no factory backing, there is no reason to even go pro. Honda don't even make the 450r anymore. That is saying something about the sport. I can remember back in the day everyone putting together the old outdated 250r just to have a good atv to race. Because honda quit making the 250r years before. I see the same thing going on again if honda and other companys stop making spot/race atv's. Everybody will be racing ten year old out dated atv's again. Hoping that the atv race world will take off someday. When I raced in 1996 everybody was hoping that the atv race world would take off someday. Well someday is here and nothing has changed. For some reason atv's just don't have what it takes to make it big like the bikes. I wish that they did, but I have seen to many years come and go, and everything is still the same for atv racing. If you want to see the gate full for the pro class, just get all the c riders to sign up for the pro class. It don't matter what level rider you are anyone can get in the pro class. Yea your get smoked but at least you can say your a Pro rider. Your making the same amount of money in both classes. NOTHING!!!! The good Pro riders that you are talking about, not seeing anymore at the races. They all got out of racing for a reason. They seen what the future holds.

yellowzo3
07-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Like you guys said, it takes an insane amount of money to go pro if you're a privateer. It just doesn't make sense. The riders mentioned in the first post are already well known and they really have nothing to prove. They've shown they can run the pro class. It's the simple fact that no manufacturers want to shovel out any money to pay them so they've quit and went back to regular jobs I guess.

I'm curious to see what happens as far as the top Pro Am riders moving up to pro. I don't think we'll see many new factory riders if guys like Gust are already forced to sit at home. The money just isn't there.

For some reason atv's are looked at as a redneck exhibition race type deal. No one takes the time to really see that it's as serious as mx on bikes. When pro bike guys are asked "what do you think about quads" they just smirk and say "i respect all riders" or something like that. It's obvious they think we're a joke and that's undoubtedly what everyone that doesn't have a quad thinks also. It's nearly impossible to gain support and momentum in this economy when you throw in atv's bad reputation and lack of popularity.

Like mx8 said, the pros that are gone left for a reason. No support = No paycheck = No point in spending you're own money to race

lasher45
07-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Not all the pros mentioned have left the race scene entirely. Most now race somewhere else or just ride at tracks like breezewoods. Cody Miller and Haavisto just came up here to the NEATV series, even Jasmine Plante is racing the full year here.

They may not be in the AMA series, but most are still out there riding. Its all in the money though. Once (if) the economy turns around I'm sure the sport will grow and we will see more pros out there.

One_Bad_400
07-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Tim Farr, one of the greatest

450ice
07-10-2010, 10:25 AM
one thing killin the sport is atv racing begged after market companies to produce the ultimate machines, that they did in the days of 250rs and hybrids. Back then everyone ran manufactures motors but thats about it, everthing else was aftermarket chassis and components. Then they hammered em cause i m not 100% but you cant run aftermarket chassis in some classes like the pros so that hurt major campanies that where behind us 100%. cause they where making bank on the frames etc. Now you simply have all the manufactures out there making semi race ready atvs that will get the job done in most classes with minor work but the manufactures wont dump a dime into the sport cause sales are down. Its nice to get a quad semi race ready out the door but its killing companies that support us. If your not running pro, a or pro am you can get bye at least your local series with minor changes and be competitive. The only manufacture thats going out on a limb nationaly and all series is CAN AM so props to them and its appreciatted.

mxpimp2000
07-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Must be pretty expensive to do without factory backing......

$100 bucks to sign up plus your pro license and the requirements you gotta have to meet the pro class rule books. i got on atvmotocross.com and looked over the pro rulebook and what all it took to become pro and well it was alot of $$ and work

mx8
07-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Well It must have changed, I can remember when I raced all you had to do was sign up for the pro class and you were in there.

mxpimp2000
07-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by mx8
Well It must have changed, I can remember when I raced all you had to do was sign up for the pro class and you were in there.

you have to have soo many points in the pro-am production to apply for a pro license. Thats what i was told because they dont want just any A or B rider with money to get a pro license and think they can compete