PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Polaris Outlaw Recall

demon rider
07-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Well; those of you that have an 06 outlaw you may remember that maybe a year after they came out there was a recall put on them. The problem was that the bolts that hold the rear sprocket on were vibrating out. To fix this two locking plates were to be installed.

I had this done when the recall came out but when I was out for a ride today I head an unfamiliar clicking sounds. Upon closer inspection I discovered that one of the bolts for the rear sprocket had completely disappeared and the other three had vibrated loose. I undone one of the bolts that used to share a locking plate with the bolt that was gone as the locking plate was now over the sprocket and being squat by the chain as it went around. Lucky for me I wasn't far from my uncle's cabin and I was able to get a wrench to to tighten the bolts up in order to make it back home.

After looking at the bolts I found that the threads were stretched. I'm not sure what caused them to stretch but I think what happened is that when they stretched the face of the bolt came out past the locking plate thus making it ineffective.

I will be going to visit my dealer tomorrow to see what they say about it. Will post an update afterwards.

birdman7389
07-10-2010, 11:28 AM
You should just go to the hardware store and get some grade 8 bolts to replace them, and be done with it. The dealer is gonna be a huge hassle.

demon rider
07-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Thats was the plan anyway, however i just wanted to let them know/ find out if anyone else has had this issue. In the mean time I really can't complain about the local polaris dealer; they tend to do whatever they can to help me out...i've even got a few freebies from them!

VToutlaw
07-11-2010, 04:37 PM
i dont think that polaris has really solved the problem, i have a 2009 525 irs and had the same thing happen a month or two after i bought it. i ended up buying a couple more of the locking taps and better bolts from the hardware store, with plenty of locktite i havnt had any problem since then. the only problem is that while running it with the bolts loose the holes in the sproket got slightly egg shaped so its a little hard to get centered on the hub creating problems with geting the chain tension right, luckily the sproket is cheap to replace.

demon rider
07-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Yeah I got some new bolts now and some locktite so when I go out home this weekend i'll get her back together again and go for a ride. I was kinda thinkin about using some lock wire through the bolts but i'm not 100% sure yet.