PDA

View Full Version : thumb throttle vs. twist throttle

4strokernow
07-09-2010, 09:23 PM
I just bought my 400ex and it has a twist throttle cause the previous owner used it for stunting I plan on doing more trail riding what am I better off with getting a thumb throttle or keeping with the twist

ridein'red7
07-09-2010, 09:39 PM
twist suck when u hit a bump your hand tends to give it gas and when udo a wheelie sometimes u slide back and pull the throttle. and when u jump and land your hand goes down because you are holding on to the grip/gas and u give it gas just my .02 cents
:devil:

4strokernow
07-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Is there any good places to get a thumb throttle?

JOHNDOE83
07-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Twist is awesome, it does NOT give it gas when you hit a bump, That doesnt happen on dirt bikes why would it on a quad.

with the thumb throttle, you dont have your whole hand on the grip, with the twist, you hold the grip and bars more firmly, thats why dirtbikes have twist!!!

I will NEVER go back to thumb.

slightlybent47
07-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Years ago I ran a twist but since I started back I went with a thumb just because it came with the quad.
I loved the twist and have thought about going back, you get used to what ever you stay with, there are advantages to both.

With two fingers on the front break and the thumb on the throttle that leaves you with just your ring and pinky finger holding the bars. Very hard to do and keep a good grip on the bars.

dr qwerty
07-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Years ago I ran a twist but since I started back I went with a thumb just because it came with the quad.
I loved the twist and have thought about going back, you get used to what ever you stay with, there are advantages to both.

With two fingers on the front break and the thumb on the throttle that leaves you with just your ring and pinky finger holding the bars. Very hard to do and keep a good grip on the bars.

LOL, i never thought of that but its true...Wow make's me think going about 60mph and doing it with those two fingers...not smart lol but it works for me...

a4guy
07-10-2010, 01:46 AM
I have thought about putting a twist on my quad. Always thought it was nice on a bike. I have also seen people put thumbers on a dirt bike. Might give it a go one of these days.

TRXRacer1
07-10-2010, 06:51 AM
I've done the twist but hated it and here's why. You don't use our handlebars the same on a quad as you do on a bike. On a bike it's more about leaning and minimal turning of the bars. It feels flat out wrong to turn the bars more then a little on a bike, you don't rely on them but for a little movement. The way your body works with the machine is..... well more graceful.

On a quad you not only turn the shiitt out of the bars but you lean on them far more then you do on a bike. You apply far more pressure on the bars using them as a focal point of stability while cornering. This is where the thumb throttle comes in and this is why 90%+ people prefer them. The thumb throttle is the safe answer to how we control a machine when you alter the angle of so dramatically and apply so much pressure to the location of the throttle. No matter how hard you're jacking a quad you don't have to try and lighten the load to keep good throttle control. Obviously a few people are better at this then the vast majority and good for them but for the rest of us when you are in a sticky situation railing around a corner with the bars turned to lock that twist throttle will be your enemy when the road gets rocky.

NacsMXer
07-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
I've done the twist but hated it and here's why. You don't use our handlebars the same on a quad as you do on a bike. On a bike it's more about leaning and minimal turning of the bars. It feels flat out wrong to turn the bars more then a little on a bike, you don't rely on them but for a little movement. The way your body works with the machine is..... well more graceful.

On a quad you not only turn the shiitt out of the bars but you lean on them far more then you do on a bike. You apply far more pressure on the bars using them as a focal point of stability while cornering. This is where the thumb throttle comes in and this is why 90%+ people prefer them. The thumb throttle is the safe answer to how we control a machine when you alter the angle of so dramatically and apply so much pressure to the location of the throttle. No matter how hard you're jacking a quad you don't have to try and lighten the load to keep good throttle control. Obviously a few people are better at this then the vast majority and good for them but for the rest of us when you are in a sticky situation railing around a corner with the bars turned to lock that twist throttle will be your enemy when the road gets rocky.

Quoted for truth.

People can have their preferences and that's fine. There's nothing wrong with running what feels best to you. But IMO there is a reason bikes/quads come with twist/thumb throttles from the factory. It's an ergonomics issue where one is more naturally suited to the other.

4strokernow
07-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Anybody have a thumb throttle that they wanna get rid of

Honda4LifeWes36
07-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Ebay is such a great place to look for parts for your quad. There are many throttles on there.

Heres one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-TRX-400EX-SUPER-THUMB-THROTTLE-and-CABLE-400-EX-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e24faf78QQitemZ36027 9158648QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

a4guy
07-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Also check Amazon.com. I have buying stuff on there for my boat and my quad like crazy.

togup
07-10-2010, 08:48 PM
check out terry cable they have the twist throttle/thumb throttle in one unit although I rarely use the twist on mine is is nice to switch if your thumb gets tired or you just feel like twisting also the thumb lever is longer than stock making it less likely for your thumb to get tired , im pretty sure Alba makes one too

a4guy
07-10-2010, 09:08 PM
I have seen those. Those sound like it would work great. Do they have a lock for when you switch it over?

NacsMXer
07-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by a4guy
I have seen those. Those sound like it would work great. Do they have a lock for when you switch it over?

Yep, there is a pin that you push to lock out one or the other.

a4guy
07-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Nice. I might pick one up and try it out soon.

eotrx400ex
07-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by ridein'red7
twist suck when u hit a bump your hand tends to give it gas and when udo a wheelie sometimes u slide back and pull the throttle. and when u jump and land your hand goes down because you are holding on to the grip/gas and u give it gas just my .02 cents
:devil: what he said!! i just took my twist off (was on it when i bought it) an put stock throttle back on

rigger
07-11-2010, 06:43 AM
I think it is up to the rider. Both my wife and I prefer twist. A lot less tiring and I feel like I have better control. Twist on the R and her EX.

And by the way, both machines are for sale.

a4guy
07-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by eotrx400ex
what he said!! i just took my twist off (was on it when i bought it) an put stock throttle back on

Do you still have the twist laying around?

4strokernow
07-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by a4guy
Do you still have the twist laying around?
If you want a twist I'll trade for a thumb throttle

a4guy
07-11-2010, 12:56 PM
I would trade but would be nice the keep the thumb around that way I could swap back and forth if I wanted to.