PDA

View Full Version : Eton Impulse

Banks
07-09-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm looking for Help with an Eton Impulse. It's my grandson's. It acts like it is starving for gas but I can't find any thing to cause it.

Any suggestiones

EthansDad
07-10-2010, 05:52 AM
what is the "Act" its doing that makes you think its starving for gas? cutting out, stalling, not running right? be more specific.

-EA

LT80
07-10-2010, 07:46 AM
I agree we need more info.
Did you clean the carb yet?
Try loosening the gas cap and see if it runs. Sometimes the vent gets plugged.

Banks
07-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Carb has been cleaned several times. Compressed air seems to flow through all passages. Fuel flow from the tank is fine. float level is fine. From cold it will run pretty good for 2-3 minutes. Then it starts acting like it is starving for fuel. won't rev up, won't do much more than idle.

I'm not 100% sure it is fuel related but it sure acts like it.

I'm no stranger to two stroke engines. Been tuning and racing drag and hillclimb bikes over thirty years.

LT80
07-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I'd check the compression.
Other than that, I'd start looking into the stator/CDI.

EthansDad
07-12-2010, 09:17 PM
When the bike starts acting funny, I'd put it up on a stand, or somehow get the wheels off the ground and then check response. that is a quick way to isolate between a fuel or clutching issue. sometimes, these little CVT bikes will act like they are losing power or bogging very much like carb/motor issues only to be the clutch.

This will at least put you in the right system to check. let us know if you find out anything else.

-EA

Banks
08-05-2010, 07:24 AM
Finally got back to this. With just a few turns have 50 lb compression. Let it crank a while it will go to 125

jerkyboy
08-05-2010, 07:51 AM
125 isnt bad but when you get it hot that number will drop.
So it sounds like you need a piston and rings or at least rings.

EthansDad
08-05-2010, 10:07 AM
on your compression test, make sure you hold the throttle wide open and give it at least 10 kicks (no elec starter). that will give you the best reading. 125 psi on that bike should be OK. anything less than 100 and it will have issues starting.

Banks
08-10-2010, 08:06 PM
This machine doesn't have a kick starter.so far it seems like compression s borderline. Does it have reeds? It's at my daughters house so I can't look at it very easily?

What should I look for in the stator?