PDA

View Full Version : Horseshoe Drag Setup

camaromitch
07-09-2010, 12:29 PM
We have done a few horseshoe drags here recently and the turnout has been great for the small towns. We are now trying some different things to get the 400 lower to help on the turnaround.

We had been looking around at custom shocks and maybe even some boxtube, but a guy with a banshee we'd been racing said he put streetbike shocks on his and they're a lot cheaper. So now... we have an R6 shock already on the rear which is surprisingly similar to the stock shock. It is only 12" eye to eye with the fork on the bottom so it bolts right up. It even has a red spring. We have 2 CBR600 shocks ordered for the front and when it's done you MIGHT be able to squeeze a 2x4 on its side under the frame :D .

I'll try to get some pictures tonight with the shock on back and when it's done this thing should handle like it's on rails.

Dobber
07-09-2010, 02:19 PM
what year r6 did the shocks come off?or does any year work?should be interesting to see how much lower it sits

camaromitch
07-09-2010, 02:55 PM
My brother is checking on the year, but when you search Ebay for motorcycle parts and narrow it down to all shocks on a streetbike, there were probably 8 or 10 on the first page that style without even narrowing it down to Yamaha. I'd say a few years used that style of lower connection.

We measured from a few different points (grab bar, foot peg, front bumper, etc.) so I should be able to get some good comparisons.

Dobber
07-09-2010, 03:08 PM
alright..sounds good..i've been looking for a way to get my bike lower for drags too and this seems like a pretty cheap way to do it..you should make sure to post the differences in your measurements once you get the cbr shocks on.

camaromitch
07-09-2010, 03:26 PM
No problem, and cheap is right. I know we have less than $25 in the rear and the fronts won't be anymore expensive each, so if we can get 6-8 inches of drop on good stiff shocks for less than $100, then I'd call that a win.

I'll get some pics and measurements this weekend and keep you up to date.

Dobber
07-09-2010, 03:47 PM
alright..thanks

i got over $100 in lowering mine and i only got about 3-4 inches of drop out of it..i wish i would of know about this way first lol

ridein'red7
07-09-2010, 07:07 PM
iv heard of useing blaster shocks because they arnt that tall and i think they bolt up or maybe drilling the top hole out

PaRedneckRiders
07-09-2010, 07:25 PM
my buddy ran 300ex shocks because they are so short idk if he had to modify them, i think the bolted right but it seemed like it sat really low with them on it