PDA

View Full Version : ER starting issues.. Any help?

AlwaysCummin
07-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Whats up guys.. Curious if anyone else has had this problem before.. Brand new head, shimmed perfect, timed perfect, carb jetted and tuned perfect. Bike runs awesome when you bump start it. Just wont start with the button. Spins and spins and spins like it wants to start, but nada! Simple bump start and you off to the races.. Any info? CDI? Stator? anything at this point.. LOL

Thanks

Baileygunns
07-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Recheck you decompression... It's prbly a little loose.

AlwaysCummin
07-09-2010, 10:31 AM
I checked decomp.. put .010 between the shim and rocker and left it there while adjusting the decomp to a .006 and still nada.. Makes no sense.. LOL

tach13
07-09-2010, 10:57 AM
starter clutch maybe. mine went bad.

Baileygunns
07-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Are you getting spark? Could be the neutral or clutch switch... But really sounds like the classic decomp issue...

DnB_racing
07-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by AlwaysCummin
Whats up guys.. Curious if anyone else has had this problem before.. Brand new head, shimmed perfect, timed perfect, carb jetted and tuned perfect. Bike runs awesome when you bump start it. Just wont start with the button. Spins and spins and spins like it wants to start, but nada! Simple bump start and you off to the races.. Any info? CDI? Stator? anything at this point.. LOL

Thanks
it sounds like valves, if not valves then it might be starter clutch. first try setting compression at around 55 shouldn't be higher than 60, you can adjust with exhaust decompressor even if the valves are in spec the compression still could be out.

when my starter clutch started to go bad it did that same thing, was slipping just enough that it wouldn't start, you couldn't even hear any difference in the way the motor turned over,after a month or so of hard starting, the starter clutch started making noise, changed out and solved problem. your problem could be the start of a worn starter clutch!!

AlwaysCummin
07-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Well felas Im gonna check that tonight then and see what i come up with. I have a few extra starter clutchs, so Ill try one. Ill also try the neut switch and make sure I have spark anyway.. Lol

Thanks guys for your help!

camsdad
07-10-2010, 09:55 PM
9 out of 10 starting issues are carb related?

DnB_racing
07-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by camsdad
9 out of 10 starting issues are carb related?
this can be checked with a little shot of starting fluid in air cleaner, if it starts its carb if not then its usually valves

AlwaysCummin
07-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Its not the carb.. I thought maybe but rebuilt it twice. Used a different carb too.. Same situation..

DnB_racing
07-13-2010, 06:47 AM
did you run a compression test? with the decompressor the +06 should be 55-60 any higher and it will have a hard time starting! if your compression is normal then it might be your starter clutch is just worn enough to not let it start! thats how mine was

reptikes
07-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Where can i get a starter clutch fairly cheap?

fastredrider44
07-16-2010, 12:13 PM
New ones aren't but what, 55-60 bucks?

Anyway, as far as why it won't start, typical ER. It's probably just not spinning over fast enough, for several possible reasons. If it has had motor work, it may need 24V to start. I know some of you will say that something isn't right if it needs 24 to start, but fact is, ERs suck to start, period.

DnB_racing
07-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by reptikes
Where can i get a starter clutch fairly cheap?

the parts you need are around $200. There are 6 parts total needed not including the gasket, the clutch assy,the drive gear, the starting gear,the roller bearing, the cir-clip and the clutch housing, all parts will be worn and need to be replaced, service honda is a good place to get the kit.

DnB_racing
07-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
New ones aren't but what, 55-60 bucks?

Anyway, as far as why it won't start, typical ER. It's probably just not spinning over fast enough, for several possible reasons. If it has had motor work, it may need 24V to start. I know some of you will say that something isn't right if it needs 24 to start, but fact is, ERs suck to start, period.

True its the best thing to do is put 24v, but also true that even on a modded motor you "SHOULDN'T" need the duel bat. when the quad is running right you dont need the 2 batts, but it makes up for poorly performing quads!

fastredrider44
07-16-2010, 12:57 PM
We can usually get by with just replacing the one way bearing the first time. After that goes out again, which it will, that's when it gets mighty costly.

fastredrider44
07-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
True its the best thing to do is put 24v, but also true that even on a modded motor you "SHOULDN'T" need the duel bat. when the quad is running right you dont need the 2 batts, but it makes up for poorly performing quads!

You're not hurting my feelings. I can start any of mine first kick every time.:devil:

DnB_racing
07-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
You're not hurting my feelings. I can start any of mine first kick every time.:devil:

If mine doesnt start with (24v) then I kick mine also, I put both into mine I dare it not to start!!lol

Butter
07-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Jerry!!! Man, throw a kick starter on that thing!!! Tired of watching you bump start, lol!

07-18-2010, 08:06 PM
jerry what up, that sounds identical to the problem i told you i had at etown seriously check your timing chain and intake valves thats what did it for me

HoleshotR15
07-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Just had the SAME problem. Happen to be a bad intake valve. Had the valves redone now it starts like your turning on a light switch. good luck

deathman53
07-19-2010, 07:25 PM
my friend had a similar problem on her 07. 2 starter clutches and new starter. She removed all that crap and put a kick start on it. If I bought one, that would be first thing added, well, next to the twist throttle. I have seen too many e-starts fail, including m own and leaving you stranded.